Post-Bachelor Track Undecided

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Greencircle

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey, all.

Spending almost 5 years as an undergraduate student since high school, I would like to further my career in either medicine, pharmacy, or dentistry. I have completed a 2-month worth of clinical work in two different branches as a medical assistant, a 2-week externship in entry-level research, and a 2-week research externship/shadowing in an optometry institution.

Putting much dedication, I have completed a wide range of science courses related to biology and chemistry, thereby earning a bachelor of science degree in chemistry and a bachelor of arts degree in biology. It seems that I have completed all of the pre-health prerequisites of my interests.

Disappointedly, my cumulative GPA currently stands as a 2.99; and my science GPAs for both biology and chemistry respectively are 2.7 and 2.8. Furthermore, I have attained a 39 composite score on my very first PCAT exam. However, I have been feeling depressed about my outlook of being enrolled in a pharmacy institution.

Ever since the beginning of my college education thus far, I have been applying to various inpatient and outpatient pharmacies such as CVS, Walgreens, RiteAid, Saint Johns Hospital, and local family clinics to volunteer as a pharmacy technician, however to no avail. I have not earned a pharmacy technician certification, yet; however, I have heard that it is possible for one to attain a pharmacy technician position without a license, which makes me puzzled because I have expected that my current academic status would render me as a great candidate.

Is there a way that I may have a glimmer of hope of enrolling to a medical institute, pharmacy institute, or dentistry institute by the upcoming cycle? If not, what should I consider to pursue based on my current academic status?

Please provide candid feedback. I apologize for the long text in this post/query.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Med school - both allo and osteo - are out without an MCAT and without really great post-bacc grades; believe dental would be similar without the DAT

Hear this in my best "mom" voice:

take some time away from school - think in terms of a year or two - completely away; go work, figure out what you really want, become an EMT if you want to serve or a paramedic or something (pharm tech?)... do something that keeps you in medicine while you figure out the following:

1. how to get the best grades you can to prove you are different now than what is currently on paper --> that will help with all schools

2. what you really want to do

Life is long... the schools are going nowhere but you don't want to shoot yourself in the foot again with any of them