Post-December Interviews while Accepting Offer?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cryingintheclub

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone, I tried looking everywhere, but I can't find the answer to this. I will be placing my deposit with a dental school next week; however, I have a post-December interview at a much more expensive dental school I don't have any intention of attending (though if I don't take up the interview my mom won't talk to me for like, months. LOL). I was wondering if it is allowable to have a post-December interview with my deposit placed, or if I should withdraw from the interview.

Members don't see this ad.

Hey everyone, I tried looking everywhere, but I can't find the answer to this. I will be placing my deposit with a dental school next week; however, I have a post-December interview at a much more expensive dental school I don't have any intention of attending (though if I don't take up the interview my mom won't talk to me for like, months. LOL). I was wondering if it is allowable to have a post-December interview with my deposit placed, or if I should withdraw from the interview.
you are taking a interview slot from someone who might want to go there...

Reactions: 3 users
you are taking a interview slot from someone who might want to go there...
Oh, definitely. I was just wondering if it was prohibited by any kind of ADEA/AADSAS regulation. My mom wants more than anything for me to get accepted and go to this school just because it has an Ivy League name, and she would be devastated if I turned down the interview. If it was prohibited however I would have less qualms about straight up telling her no.

Members don't see this ad :)
I did it in my cycle. But I only took the post-dec interview because I knew if I got into said program, I would go there. Taking an interview at a program "to go check it out" isn't worth it. If the program is your top choice, congrats and def go! Once I was accepted at my "Post Dec interview" Program, I called the admission office of the school I had a deposit on and told them I would be releasing my spot.

Idk if there's any AADSAS rules now ( there weren't wen I applied in 2016)- usually the rules regarding deposits lie with the individual schools themselves

Reactions: 1 user
Oh, definitely. I was just wondering if it was prohibited by any kind of ADEA/AADSAS regulation. My mom wants more than anything for me to get accepted and go to this school just because it has an Ivy League name, and she would be devastated if I turned down the interview. If it was prohibited however I would have less qualms about straight up telling her no.
give your mom a printout of the estimated tuition and living expenses after 4 years, plus loan interest.....see what she says then (unless shes the one paying for it of course lolz)

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users
give your mom a printout of the estimated tuition and living expenses after 4 years, plus loan interest.....see what she says then (unless shes the one paying for it of course lolz)
Thank you for sharing! I should definitely ask my actual top choice school (the one I will be submitting a deposit to) whether or not Post-Dec interview invites are allowed. Though I'm still iffy on even having the interview in the first place because I don't want to take someone else's interview spot. Here I go to the Excel sheet... though my mom will probably just push my dad to take out loans for the dental school if anything (which is absolutely the last thing I want).

Thank you for sharing! I should definitely ask my actual top choice school (the one I will be submitting a deposit to) whether or not Post-Dec interview invites are allowed. Though I'm still iffy on even having the interview in the first place because I don't want to take someone else's interview spot. Here I go to the Excel sheet... though my mom will probably just push my dad to take out loans for the dental school if anything (which is absolutely the last thing I want).

Tell your mom you’re an adult and can make decisions for yourself. Time to cut the umbilical cord

• Haha
Reactions: 5 users
Seems like it's a pretty easy thing to do. You would rather tell the dental school you put a deposit down at that you're taking an interview at a different school, and interview with no intent of going, than just telling your mom that you aren't interviewing at (assuming) UPENN?...

however, I have a post-December interview at a much more expensive dental school I don't have any intention of attending
*Hits head into brick wall*

That’s enough SDN for today

• Haha
Reactions: 8 users
*Hits head into brick wall*

That’s enough SDN for today
Ya'll got me rolling :rofl: I do sound like an insane toxic SDN-er on second look but hey if you can't beat them, join them.

I do understand that I'm an adult, and I can make my own decisions. But sometimes I have to prioritize family over my own individual needs and values. My mom gave up her career so she can raise me well and make sure I got to school and had all the resources I needed. Of course I would want to at least return that favor to her, to show her that her efforts have not gone unseen, and to her that would be if I tried my best to get into the expensive af school.

Saying no to that wouldn't simply be me asserting myself as an individual. It would basically rupture the dynamic where my parents provide for me so I can become successful, and I take every opportunity to be successful (in my mom's eyes, this means grabbing prestige).

Plus, my mother has once not talked to me for two months because I didn't do something she asked. I need to keep things at least congenial if I need someone to rely on in case I default on those massive dental student loans or something in the future. I also still live with my parents, and having that kind of toxic atmosphere during quarantine would absolutely not help out with my mental health at all.

I am leaning towards turning down the interview but I just wanted to know if that was my only action anyways, so I could better explain it to her.

Ya'll got me rolling :rofl: I do sound like an insane toxic SDN-er on second look but hey if you can't beat them, join them.

I do understand that I'm an adult, and I can make my own decisions. But sometimes I have to prioritize family over my own individual needs and values. My mom gave up her career so she can raise me well and make sure I got to school and had all the resources I needed. Of course I would want to at least return that favor to her, to show her that her efforts have not gone unseen, and to her that would be if I tried my best to get into the expensive af school.

Saying no to that wouldn't simply be me asserting myself as an individual. It would basically rupture the dynamic where my parents provide for me so I can become successful, and I take every opportunity to be successful (in my mom's eyes, this means grabbing prestige).

Plus, my mother has once not talked to me for two months because I didn't do something she asked. I need to keep things at least congenial if I need someone to rely on in case I default on those massive dental student loans or something in the future. I also still live with my parents, and having that kind of toxic atmosphere during quarantine would absolutely not help out with my mental health at all.

I am leaning towards turning down the interview but I just wanted to know if that was my only action anyways, so I could better explain it to her.
It looks like you need a family therapy session to discuss this decision. It’s very tough. I sympathize with you.

Why don't you put on a suit/dress and set up a day of video chats with your friends? That way you can simulate an interview and not screw someone else out of a slot.

pretty sure I can guess the ethnicity of your mom ;)

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: 3 users
The lengths we go to please mama.

Why don't you put on a suit/dress and set up a day of video chats with your friends? That way you can simulate an interview and not screw someone else out of a slot.

Huh

Ignorant...

Reactions: 1 users
It looks like you need a family therapy session to discuss this decision. It’s very tough. I sympathize with you.
Thanks for sympathizing! I've been looking into a therapist who brings his dogs into sessions.

This is a good idea actually, that way she can overhear me through the door and think that I for sure interviewed with the school.

Also unless you happen to be of said ethnicity not sure about how okay I should be with last comment LOL

The lengths we go to please mama.
I know right??? I don't want to be haunted later on okay

Thanks for sympathizing! I've been looking into a therapist who brings his dogs into sessions.

This is a good idea actually, that way she can overhear me through the door and think that I for sure interviewed with the school.

Also unless you happen to be of said ethnicity not sure about how okay I should be with last comment LOL

I know right??? I don't want to be haunted later on okay
haha. Most of my interviews for dental school and perio this year were just casual chit chat anyways.

The only 'real' questions I was ever asked is why do I want to be a dentist then why do I want to be a periodontist and then we just veered into random things for 30 minutes. It was actually very low stress and enjoyable. Should be fairly easy to act out esp if you are wearing headphones in a closed room lol