Post doc interview prep

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Junebug1234

Reaction score
Hello all!

I’m starting to receive invites for postdoc positions and I’m having flashbacks to internship interview season. I prepped A LOT for internship interviews and thought of myself as a pretty competitive candidate but did not match in phase I (very likely due to only applying in a very large, competitive metro city). I was very nervous for both phase I and II and I don’t want to stress myself out too much while I prep for postdoc interviews. Any feedback from current or past postdocs (and current interns with insight!) on what to expect at postdoc interviews?? Thank you in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
For me, the interviews were largely identical between internship and postdoc. Very similar questions; in fact, you’re probably well-prepared if you remember the internship questions, especially if applying to the same type of site. One of the most important is why you’re interested in their site specifically and what you hope to learn/expand in your skills on postdoc so they can gauge your interest and fit for the position.

The rest of the questions will vary by type of site. I interviewed for college counseling sites (most via Skype), so I had a case vignette thrown at me here and there to discuss my approach and related ethical issues for the case, asking about my theoretical orientations and how I approach brief therapy, multicultural approach/training/experience, strengths/growth areas, sometimes a question about conflict others, past experiences and interests, how I handle busy days and quick transitions (they want to make sure you can handle a rigorous schedule), previous crisis experience, an interesting/difficult client, “is there anything you’d like us to know about you that we haven’t asked,” etc. One site I interviewed at in person had me do a client/therapist role-play on the spot, with one interviewer pretending to be experiencing mania—that was a bit much, in my opinion. You’ll want to have a few questions prepared to ask them as well.

Reactions: 1 users
The biggest difference for me was in the "future based" questions. When interviewing for post-doc, you're expected to have a much more thorough and specific plan for the future, especially if your post-doc is a specific specialty. Being able to speak to a transition from intern to resident to staff and your goals to grow as a professional was pretty key.

Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone have any thoughts to share about interviewing for post-docs via Skype/telephone versus in person for sites that do not indicate a preference/requirement? It would be nice to limit travel due to cost/internship responsibilities/leave time, but I'm unsure if (or how much) that might disadvantage me. I'm definitely going to travel to an interview with the program that looks like my best fit (on paper) and is in an area of the country I have only visited briefly. However, I'm torn about sites where I know the area reasonably well and don't have any immediate questions/concerns about potential relocation to them. I only applied to VA sites, so am expecting interviews to be primarily PBI or PBI-ish. Thoughts?

Does anyone have any thoughts to share about interviewing for post-docs via Skype/telephone versus in person for sites that do not indicate a preference/requirement? It would be nice to limit travel due to cost/internship responsibilities/leave time, but I'm unsure if (or how much) that might disadvantage me. I'm definitely going to travel to an interview with the program that looks like my best fit (on paper) and is in an area of the country I have only visited briefly. However, I'm torn about sites where I know the area reasonably well and don't have any immediate questions/concerns about potential relocation to them. I only applied to VA sites, so am expecting interviews to be primarily PBI or PBI-ish. Thoughts?

I was also concerned about time and money for interview travel, since I applied to VAs in a different geographic region. I will be traveling to interview in person to the site where I have never been and don't have any connections. I will be interviewing via Skype at a site where I am very familiar with the facility and staff - they were very accommodating and I don't think it will effect me negatively. I say do what works best for you financially and for your mental health. :)

This sounds like a logical plan to me. For those sites in areas you know relatively well, I think a Skype interview makes sense and would be fine. If the site says they do not have a preference, I would take them at their word.