Post-doc LORs?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

HPBM17

Reaction score
Apologies if this is posted elsewhere, I'm curious about others' experiences with letters of recommendation for post-doc applications. Most sites I'm looking at say to include three LOR, some specifying including one from dissertation chair and some specifying at least one LOR from internship. I'm curious what others did for an internship specific LOR or that third open LOR - did you ask someone on internship to write it for you? Did you ask someone from a previous clinical experience or from grad school? I'm struggling with who to ask from internship considering I will only have been working there for three months by the time I need to ask one or more people for letters. It just seems really soon and that they would have little to say about me for post-doc apps.

Members don't see this ad.

For clinical postdocs, you'll want one from DCT for your internship site and potentially another supervisor who has evaluated your clinical work in addition to dissertation chair, like a prac supervisor or something. I wouldn't be too nervous about asking ppl from internship about it. They're likely used to these requests and have ways of writing them to reflect how well they know you (e.g.: "based on my experience of HPBM17, they seem to be in line with the training requirements of the site...")

Reactions: 1 user
Apologies if this is posted elsewhere, I'm curious about others' experiences with letters of recommendation for post-doc applications. Most sites I'm looking at say to include three LOR, some specifying including one from dissertation chair and some specifying at least one LOR from internship. I'm curious what others did for an internship specific LOR or that third open LOR - did you ask someone on internship to write it for you? Did you ask someone from a previous clinical experience or from grad school? I'm struggling with who to ask from internship considering I will only have been working there for three months by the time I need to ask one or more people for letters. It just seems really soon and that they would have little to say about me for post-doc apps.
I felt the same way about asking internship supervisors when I’ve only known them a few months, but remember that your supervisors recognize that. They’ve done this before and know that you’ll ask for letters soon and that it’s a quick turnaround.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
For my third, I will be asking another professor that supervised my research since the sites I have chosen are more research-focused. Otherwise I see nothing wrong with asking internship supervisors, writing LORs is a part of the job.

My 3 letters are 2 internship supervisors and my grad school advisor (who also supervised me in a clinical practicum). Some sites ask for internship TD letter to confirm satisfactory progress and grad school advisor or TD to confirm all other requirements (most importantly, dissertation) were met in addition to the 3.

Agreed with above posters, internship supervisors have done this a bunch of times. That’s often why, in sites that have rotations or are in a consortium, your early internship experiences are related to what you might apply for in postdoc.