Post-Doc Position Open

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

InUrHead

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
POST-DOCTORAL FELLOWSHIPS IN HEALTH PSYCHOLOGY
Henry Ford Hospital, Detroit, MI
The Consultation-Liaison Division of Behavioral Health at Henry Ford Hospital offers Postdoctoral Fellowships in Health Psychology, which prepare psychologists to practice independently in the assessment and treatment of medical patients with behavioral manifestations or etiology.

Fellows develop expertise in differential diagnosis, behavioral problems associated with common medical conditions, consultation with referring physicians, and working with multidisciplinary groups, in one or more specialty areas. They develop supervisory skills, providing supervision and mentorship of junior trainees, interns, medical students and practicum students.

Fellows perform inpatient and outpatient consultations. They develop liaison relationships with one or more medical/surgical divisions and participate in the programs of that specialty area, including collaborative rounding, multidisciplinary team meetings, and journal clubs, representing the Department of Behavioral Health.

Fellows may be involved in research projects. Fellows can take advantage of a wide variety of medical education opportunities. The fellow is responsible for literature reviews, and presentations for journal club, case conferences, and behavioral health grand rounds.

Our fellows are prepared for jobs in health psychology and have gone on to work in a variety of clinical, academic and research settings.

Transplant Surgery
Henry Ford Transplant Institute is a Center of Excellence in multi-organ transplantation. The fellow provides comprehensive psychiatric and substance abuse evaluations for heart, lung, liver, kidney, pancreas, multivisceral, and bone marrow/stem cell transplant, and left ventricular assist devices for end stage heart failure. This includes rapid assessment and brief treatment of hospitalized medical patients, outpatient and inpatient pre-transplant evaluations, family meetings to mobilize support and provide continuity of care, and psychiatric follow up as needed. The fellow attends selection committee meetings, transplant support groups, and transplant educational opportunities as they arise.

Transplant research
Part-time research project to improve compliance in kidney transplant recipients

Anesthesia Pain Clinic
The fellow provides clinical assessments and brief treatment for patients with chronic pain who present to the Department of anesthesia, considering interventional procedures such as spinal cord stimulators and intrathecal pumps. The fellow works in collaboration with a multidisciplinary team of anesthesiologists, nurses, and physical and occupational therapists. Some individual therapy and a Pain Management group are included to help patients live well despite chronic pain.

Biomedical Ethics Committee
The fellow supports the work of the Institutional Biomedical Ethics Committee which is a forum for education, case and policy review, analysis and recommendations for ethical issues that may arise in the hospital. The fellow coordinates a clinical and research initiative with the goal of developing more awareness and education around advanced directives, to empower families and patients with end of life decisions.
Fellows may contract for one year or two. Salary is $37,500 per year, plus $1000 professional development allowance. Henry Ford Health System has excellent medical insurance benefits. A PhD or PsyD and strong interest in health psychology are required. Fellows need to meet requirements for a limited license to practice psychology in Michigan and be licensed by the start date in July.
Supervision is primarily by Board Certified Health Psychologists, but multidisciplinary supervision is also provided by psychiatrists and other physicians and surgeons.

To apply, send a vita, statement of professional goals, and 3 letters of recommendation to:
Anne Eshelman, PhD, ABPP Senior Staff Health Psychologist Henry Ford Health Sciences Center
Consultation Liaison Psychiatry (Pallister Place) 2799 W Grand Blvd, Detroit, Mi 48202
313 916-2523 or [email protected]
Henry Ford Hospital is an affirmative action/equal opportunity employer and educator. Visit henryford.com

Members don't see this ad.

I just got a slew of these notices myself, so if anyone happened not to match (or if anyone didn't participate in the match process and is currently looking for a position), rest assured that there seem to be a good number of spots still open.

I looked at this fellowship months ago. It seems like great training and a continuation of what I have done previously, but I really couldn't see moving halfway across the country to Detroit and leaving family, friends, and my relationship for a year for the position. Definitely great for anyone into behavioral medicine.

Members don't see this ad :)
Henry Ford would provide great training.

I know several very successful health psychologists who have trained at HFH. Plus Dr. Eshelman is super-nice and really looks after her fellows from what I hear.

Basically what happened is she had some additional funding come through. I am one of her current fellows and will be next year as well. She really is the best supervisor ever. Also, I don't live in Detroit. I live in an area called Royal Oak which is about 20-25 minutes north of HFHS, http://www.downtownroyaloak.org/
Royal Oak is AWESOME. The entire RO and surrounding areas are all restaurants (almost 0 chain restraurants), shops, theaters, music theaters, etc. During the spring/summer months there is literally a festival within a reasonable drive ever single weekend (apparently, Southeast Michigan LOVES their festivals).

Like I said, I live here and we have only lived here for a about a year and a half and we are considering staying longer-term. I've lived a lot of places too (Chicago, Kansas City, Charlotte NC, Tampa FL) and so I think it really says something. Yes, downtown Detroit is very sad and dessimated, but that just makes the work much more diverse and challenging (in a good way).
Please feel free to ask me any other questions!!