Post-Doc Questions!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

child_psych123

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello! Many of my post-doc applications are due in December-January, what month do interviews typically occur? Also, I am at internship in a different state than where I am applying to postdocs and I will likely be limited in my ability to travel for interviews. Does anyone know if it is acceptable for post-doc interviews to take place over Skype? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

My first interview was late January, and one of my cohort-mates did 90% of her interviews via Skype (our internship was a VA and she applied to all VAs, not sure if that makes a difference!)

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

You can do most if not all interviews via Skype, but it will depend on the type of site. Some sites will require a second onsite interview, but some may pay a portion of the travel expenses if they do.

January/February interviews are typical, but it will vary by site somewhat (if I recall, one site had interviews in May, but this was seen as unusually late).

Members don't see this ad :)
Late Jan/February. We do ours in person.

Having done phone/skype interviews when I was an applicant and colleagues who did so as well, I think I've seen that in person is important. You get a much better understanding of what you are committing to, personality of supervisors, culture and feel of the site, etc.

Reactions: 2 users
I am not yet working on postdoc applications but am only about one year away. Given that internship applications are already submitted, this question is more relevant to postdoc as well as any other reasons I may need to submit my CV in the interim.

My peer-reviewing experience to-date has been listed under the heading Service to Profession. However, I have also accumulated non-journal reviewer experiences such as reviewing grant proposals, research awards, and conference abstract submissions. My assumption is that these latter experiences will eventually be unnecessary on my CV as I move along my training trajectory (at worst, seem like padding), but am wondering how to separate these types of 'reviews' or experiences to best highlight what seems most important - reviewing for journals. For example, is my current section heading too broad, should I create subheadings, create separate headings altogether, or eliminate some of these experiences from the CV? Any thoughts or insight will be appreciated!