Post-Doc questions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

edieb

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was wondering about the benefits of doing an APA-accredited post doc versus a non-accredited post-doc. Are there any at all?

Also, what do post docs look for? What makes one competitive for one, especially a research-based one?

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

I was wondering about the benefits of doing an APA-accredited post doc versus a non-accredited post-doc. Are there any at all?

Also, what do post docs look for? What makes one competitive for one, especially a research-based one?

Thanks

An APA-accredited postdoc is really not necessary unless you're doing the whole Div 40 (?) neuropsych thing. For the rest of us, as long as a licensed psychologist supervisor signs off on your postdoc hours, you can use those toward licensure.

Research postdocs are by and large NOT APA accredited. There's really no point. If you want to be competitive for a research postdoc, you should have some evidence of research accomplishment - papers, grants, etc. You should also have some good ideas that can be implemented in the setting you're looking to work in (e.g., if it's an anxiety disorders research group, being a schizophrenia researcher is not going to work in your favor).

I agree with LM02. I know Neuro is very particular about that...but most everything else it doesn't matter as much. I'd say if you are looking to stay in academia, it may help those prospectives, but even then...i'm not sure. I've heard many people getting post-doc positions at their internship sites, but it is a more informal process.

-t