Post Doc Season 2020 - 2021

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
That's a good question, it seems so variable! I read today every postdoc thread dating back to 2017... excellent use of my time, haha. Anyway I noticed that sometimes these sites offered interviews as early as 12/5 and sometimes as late as mid January!! I imagine things will be slower this year because of COVID, especially if your site also has pre-doctoral intern applications to sift through. But I am unsure!
Yes. COVID-19 will affect our process, and we won't be notifying about interviews until our published notification date. Good luck, all!
 
I applied to my number 1 choice last Tuesday and still have not heard back. I feel like it is most likely a rejection 🙁(
Don't count yourself out of the game just yet! Our site has an application deadline of January 1, and will not be completing application reviews until the following week. Your site may also wait to get all applications prior to sending invitations. I know this is hard.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Haven't heard anything yet but am probably just anxious because of how Phase I was last year...I think many sites are busy with internship apps
Yes, so far this process is infinitely less stressful and infinitely more anticlimactic, haha. It looks like most of my sites, even ones with 12/1 deadlines, won't notify until after the new year.
 
Trying to submit an application through APA CAS for the Washington DC VA and it says " unavailable, the deadline has passed for this program". The deadline is tomorrow. This is very weird. Not letting me submit. Anyone else having problems with APA CAS or know anything?
 
Trying to submit an application through APA CAS for the Washington DC VA and it says " unavailable, the deadline has passed for this program". The deadline is tomorrow. This is very weird. Not letting me submit. Anyone else having problems with APA CAS or know anything?

I’m sorry this happened. Contact the TD and let them know. We have had issues (or rather, applicants did) with apacas in the past. It can be a fussy system.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Oh for real!!?!? This is amazing news!!! Thank you!
yea I was so relieved! She said as long as it says "completed" as in all of your materials have been received you are usually good to go and programs will begin reviewing. I found the whole verification process sort of odd like it encourages you to submit your application materials as early as 4 weeks prior to the deadline to ensure "verification" by the deadline and I applied to sites that hadn't even posted an updated brochure 4 weeks before their deadline. I have also had 3 applications "verified" within 24 hrs of me submitting them.
 
What is general consensus on when is it okay to send a reminder to your letter of reference writers about the due dates for apps? two weeks? one week? Most are due January 1st, and I don't want to wait a week because I know with the holidays, my letters will be the last thing on people's minds lol so two week reminder?
 
What is general consensus on when is it okay to send a reminder to your letter of reference writers about the due dates for apps? two weeks? one week? Most are due January 1st, and I don't want to wait a week because I know with the holidays, my letters will be the last thing on people's minds lol so two week reminder?
I've been sending two weeks and then if I don't hear back I send another within 1 week.
 
Did anyone else apply to the San Diego VA? I think we are supposed to hear about interviews this week and was curious if anyone else is also waiting to hear.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I’m sorry this happened. Contact the TD and let them know. We have had issues (or rather, applicants did) with apacas in the past. It can be a fussy system.
Thank you so much! The TD actually reached out and let me know there’s a “deadline glitch” . Thankfully, Its resolved and was able to submit my application!
 
Yes, I applied for neuro. I don't know if it's because I limited myself geographically (only MA, RI, and CT) but I felt like there weren't as many sites as I expected. Is that just me?
Thank you! I applied for 3East (lmaaaao, I wrote 3West at first, my brain is fried to a crisp). I wonder if the site availability is impacted by COVID! I know a lot of hospitals and universities are really hurting and some pulled out of internship match 🙁
 
Last edited:
Me in the APPIC thread staring at all the interns getting interview invites like:


Meme Reaction GIF by Silicon Valley
 
Yes, I applied for neuro. I don't know if it's because I limited myself geographically (only MA, RI, and CT) but I felt like there weren't as many sites as I expected. Is that just me?
There are sites that have always offered that aren't right now. A friend of mine runs a consortium and she said they have a lot of sites that are sitting out for next year. Same friend also said applications are down.
 
Yes, I applied for neuro. I don't know if it's because I limited myself geographically (only MA, RI, and CT) but I felt like there weren't as many sites as I expected. Is that just me?

Geographic limitations will definitely hurt. There are some sites that took a year off, but I also know of several in the Midwest at least that started a program for the first time. I'm more familiar with the South and Midwest, but there are plenty of sites if you are willing to move.
 
Quick question! I submitted my first app a few days ago and received a confirmation email after submitting. I submitted another application today and did not receive a confirmation email. Has anyone else noticed this?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey all, I am applying to forensic post docs and was curious, does anyone have info on Summit Behavioral Health in Ohio? One my mentors did their internship there ages ago and gave me some mixed comments. Anyone have any thoughts?
 
Hey all, I am applying to forensic post docs and was curious, does anyone have info on Summit Behavioral Health in Ohio? One my mentors did their internship there ages ago and gave me some mixed comments. Anyone have any thoughts?
I'm looking into it for next year and would love to hear your mentors thoughts on it? Feel free to DM if you don't want to post.