Post-doc specialization in Neuropsychology

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Psych20122

Reaction score
All of these threads and posts about Neuropsychological fellowships an AACN have me wondering about alternatives. I have always had a strong interest in neuropsychology, but work as a school psychologist full-time (also licensed) and have young kids of my own. This means that there is no real way for me to accrue thousands of post-doc hours in a clinic nearby or abroad, at least in the near future. I noticed some other programs, such as one at "Fielding Graduate University," that offers an online "specialization in neuropsychology" certificate program. After looking into it further, it does require some in person learning but only on certain weekends.

Any insight about this kind of path? I can tell that it is very expensive. But on the other hand, payment for neuropsychological evaluations is also lucrative.

Members don't see this ad.

Hard pass. Bottom rung is how it is viewed by those in the field. There are a handful of respecialization programs that could work if you wanted to pursue training, but there are no shortcuts. You’d likely need to take a bunch of classes, then apply for internship, and then complete a 2yr fellowship.

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Agree, seeing Fielding on a CV/Resume instantly makes me cringe.

Absolutely. Anecdotally, I’ve seen that the people that pursue the Fielding neuro certificate are also the most aggressive marketers of their “boutique, highly specialized, top notch, cutting edge forensic neuropsychological practices.” It’s a dead giveaway the person is another one of the recent neuro/forensic grifters. I’d also bet dollars to donuts that they went to either Alliant, Argosy, or the Chicago School.

Reactions: 1 user