Post-exam experience

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

constantine

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone, I took step 1 a few days ago and I am nervous as hell about how I did. Going into the exam I got 235 on both NBME 13 and 15. After reviewing those exams I felt like I made a lot of silly mistakes; stuff that is correctable by just reading the question instead of blasting through it like a mad man. After the exam I've been able to recall about 7-10 questions that I definitely got wrong after looking up the possible answers. I really need to get above 230 as I am an IMG but does anyone know exactly how many questions get taken out from the exam and whether me losing 7-10 questions will really hurt me a lot? I'm really concerned. I know it sounds really dumb but if someone has a similar experience please share; it will provide me with a great sense of relief. I thought I was doing very well up until block 5; I probably only had about 35-40 questions marked at this point and I finished most blocks with 10+ minutes left, some with like 3 minutes, and only one block that went down to the wire due to bad time management :( The last two blocks I was very tired. I think overall I probably had about 50 questions marked in total. Now I have to wait for 3 weeks! Yikes

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Everybody feels like crap after the steps. Besides you can not change what had already happened. Nor can you change the outcome. So, try not to worry about it. If you are really worried, keep reviewing the material so you can retake soon.

Hi everyone, I took step 1 a few days ago and I am nervous as hell about how I did. Going into the exam I got 235 on both NBME 13 and 15. After reviewing those exams I felt like I made a lot of silly mistakes; stuff that is correctable by just reading the question instead of blasting through it like a mad man. After the exam I've been able to recall about 7-10 questions that I definitely got wrong after looking up the possible answers. I really need to get above 230 as I am an IMG but does anyone know exactly how many questions get taken out from the exam and whether me losing 7-10 questions will really hurt me a lot? I'm really concerned. I know it sounds really dumb but if someone has a similar experience please share; it will provide me with a great sense of relief. I thought I was doing very well up until block 5; I probably only had about 20 questions marked at this point and I finished most blocks with 10+ minutes left, some with like 3 minutes, and only one block that went down to the wire due to bad time management :( The last two blocks I was very tired. I think overall I probably had about 50 questions marked in total. Now I have to wait for 3 weeks! Yikes

I took it a few weeks ago. I was nowhere near a 235, highest NBME was a measly 221. I knew when I walked out I made 7 direct FA recall errors. Some blocks I had marked 10 Qs. I was worried I had failed as well, but more 'realistically' was looking at a 208-214 range. I wound up with a 217. I'm a US-IMG. Regardless, I'm sure you've done great. Congrats on being done!

Thanks CDI, I know I didn't fail but just wanted to know if other people had similar feelings after taking the test. I'm just worried I won't get my 230 lol. Thanks for responding!

Members don't see this ad :)
Yes, I got 248 on one of them about 3 weeks before my exam. I did the first UWA back in february and got a 240 I believe.

Trust the NBMEs, that's really your best bet as far as projecting how your exam went. There are people who mark 5qs per block and get 230, and there are people who mark 10qs per block and get 240+, you can't really rest your hat on those.

Relax, and enjoy the fact, as Step 1 minutiae drain from your head in the coming weeks that you'll never need to know them again.