Post Externship Thank You

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CATSandKILOS

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Can any current resident or former resident comment on how they prefer their externs to say thanks? A card? Email? Just a text? I have heard of some giving gifts but I feel that’s a little much.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad.

Can any current resident or former resident comment on how they prefer their externs to say thanks? A card? Email? Just a text? I have heard of some giving gifts but I feel that’s a little much.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Scotch is a good start with me. 10 year minimum. But don't get crazy. Anything older than the teens is unnecessary and just showing off.

PS: islay > highland > everything else

Reactions: 2 users
As a student I didn't send any Thank You cards. I developed good relationships with residents and kept in touch via text.

As a resident I didn't put any extra stock in people who sent Thank You cards. Don't get me wrong, it is a nice gesture, I just personally didn't care. I wanted to know you were interested in our program. Semi-regular (maybe once every 1-2 months) texts were what I preferred from students. One text maybe a day or two after you leave, then a couple more between your month and interviews just to remind 'em you exist.

I'm not gonna lie. If I liked a student and he/she bought me a bottle of whiskey I would have done every thing I could to get them ranked in our program's top 2...

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
I've received a few very nice, very honest cards from students where the underlying subtext is "you were nice to me but you aren't my #1." I wrote a few of those myself. Probably an overthink, probably irrelevant. I'd skip a card if anyone can read a subtext into and stick to a meaningful amount of texts as dtrack describes above.

Reactions: 1 user
I've received a few very nice, very honest cards from students where the underlying subtext is "you were nice to me but you aren't my #1." I wrote a few of those myself. Probably an overthink, probably irrelevant. I'd skip a card if anyone can read a subtext into and stick to a meaningful amount of texts as dtrack describes above.
What is the point of writing the card then? It's not you it's me....but if I get stuck on this island alone with you then maybe we can be something someday...why bother?

What is the point of writing the card then? It's not you it's me....but if I get stuck on this island alone with you then maybe we can be something someday...why bother?

Good points/questions. My advice would be, as a student you shouldn't give any program the impression that they aren't at the top of your rank list. It's not hard to do, even if you don't want to flat out lie. Though I would tell you that flat out lying isn't a bad thing either. We had students flat out lie to us...I honestly couldn't tell you where they went or who they were any more. Maybe other residents, attendings hold grudges and I just don't care. Maybe I just respect the hustle more than them. I don't know, but it never bothered me. If you understand how the rank process works (as a program), you should know that trying to get an idea of where the student ranked you and basing your rankings on where you feel students may rank you is pointless any way.

I do not recommend a gift. But if we ever cross paths, my current preference is:

Glenmorangie Highland Single Malt Scotch Whisky, 18 year, extremely rare version.

Smooooooth.........

Reactions: 1 user