Post grad options

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NWH1993

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
In lieu of being declined from the schools I applied to I'm going to take some time post grad to improve my application.

With an overall and pre req GPA expected to be between 3.0-3.1 upon graduation in May and GRE scores of 154/154/4.0 I definitely see a need to improve both.

I will be retaking my only non-B or higher grade immediately this summer but have put some thought into pursuing a Masters to allow for more credits to judge my gpa.

My current school did not offer an exercise science degree so I have found an entry level masters program that I'm going to pursue.

Anybody think this is a good idea or am I wasting my time?

Members don't see this ad.

In lieu of being declined from the schools I applied to I'm going to take some time post grad to improve my application.

With an overall and pre req GPA expected to be between 3.0-3.1 upon graduation in May and GRE scores of 154/154/4.0 I definitely see a need to improve both.

I will be retaking my only non-B or higher grade immediately this summer but have put some thought into pursuing a Masters to allow for more credits to judge my gpa.

My current school did not offer an exercise science degree so I have found an entry level masters program that I'm going to pursue.

*the only non-B or higher pre req class

If your only goal is to get into PT school, a master's program is pretty low yield relative to how much money it is gonna cost you. You will put yourself in a lot more debt just for a modest bump in you cGPA. It certainly will help get in, but you could gain the same improvement in your chances for less money with a year worth of a DIY post-bacc filled with as many retakes, extra online classes, etc. as you can stand/make time for.

There have been several very good threads on this very question in the past, I'm sure you can find them if you search for them. The general consensus seems to be that the master's can be worth it if it was something you really wanted for yourself personally regardless of PT school, but if it is just a means to and end (PT school acceptance being that end) than it is a really great deal of time and money for that. And a master's degree in exercise science doesn't increase your employability as a licensed PT by much either, unless there is some very niche area you want to get into where it may be relevant.

Paging @starrsgirl...she'll have a better answer for you than I do. :)

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
After a little bit of stalking I've seen you have a LOT of B's for your prereq GPA. While B's are not bad by themselves, it is important to have a few A's in there as well to raise your GPA higher than just a 3.0.. It may be worth retaking a few of these B's (only if you are absolutely sure you will receive an A in them this time around) and then apply to schools that take the highest repeated grade for their calculated prereq GPA. With the added plus of a few extra points on your cGPA, I believe that can make a big difference in your application strength.

I was in the same position as you last year and went to one of the schools I was interested in to ask their admissions director for advice. They believed that retaking classes was the best direction. Also, while I was there I ran into an applicant who went the opposite path by receiving their masters and found that they regretted their choice and wish they would have retaken their undergrad classes instead. Now they have their masters, but their chances for PT school have not improved much and they no longer have the funds to retake classes.

Reactions: 3 users

I say this all of the time, but contact the schools you are applying to to ask them. Each school weights things specifically to their school. As an example, I have said my school does not care much about per-requisite GPA...just not a super important metric for us. We recently found an applicant we made an error with selecting highest grade for a couple of pre-req courses (happens sometimes...Webadmit will make you cross eyed). Changing pre-GPA GPA from 3.3 to 3.8 changed this applicant's place 6 spots on the alternate list. Now that could be a difference between getting in an not, but not a lot of bang for the buck. Having a Master's degree would be a much big 'prize' for our admissions vs. a 0.5 GPA bump on pre-req GPA. And although you will live poorly, you should be able to not pay tuition for a Master's degree.
But each school looks at things differently, so contact schools you are going to apply to.

I was in the same position as you before I applied and was accepted into PT school. I pushed graduation back a semester, and filled a semester up with retakes. I felt that was my cheapest/easiest option. Most PT schools will accept the higher grade with retakes, so it made more sense to me to replace grades rather than add more to "average" grades.

Reactions: 1 user
I say this all of the time, but contact the schools you are applying to to ask them. Each school weights things specifically to their school. As an example, I have said my school does not care much about per-requisite GPA...just not a super important metric for us. We recently found an applicant we made an error with selecting highest grade for a couple of pre-req courses (happens sometimes...Webadmit will make you cross eyed). Changing pre-GPA GPA from 3.3 to 3.8 changed this applicant's place 6 spots on the alternate list. Now that could be a difference between getting in an not, but not a lot of bang for the buck. Having a Master's degree would be a much big 'prize' for our admissions vs. a 0.5 GPA bump on pre-req GPA. And although you will live poorly, you should be able to not pay tuition for a Master's degree.
But each school looks at things differently, so contact schools you are going to apply to.

:thumbup: Best advice ever on first bold.

Second bold: How would you view a Master's in Religious Studies?

A person at my university thought it would be a super awesome time and monetary commitment to get that before she got into a recently accredited, sub par med program because it was 'easy.' I'm assuming her master's had nothing to do with her acceptance, but rather being a second time applicant coupled with her health related volunteering which probably upped her on the point scale for the second application time for that committee did. Unless it served as a diversity metric....however, I would think one's E.C.s or other interests would fit that field for committees.

Anatomy and physio are key for pt (and shockingly enough, are NOT prerecs for other health professions sometimes), while biochem, calc, and organics (yeah took these guys too lol) are much more of weedout for things like dental/med.

The psychs are relevant to working directly or understanding people a bit more.
Stats is a solid skillset.
Bio 1 and 2 have some portions that can be useful
Physics 1 gives a good general understanding of force, motion, torque, etc. after you forget all the formulas
Chem 1 and 2, physics 2, and the portions of bio 2 and physics 1 that don't work well are definitely some of the weedout/critical thnking development that serve as a selection factor for applicant volume.

I'd say you've got at least 7/11 relevant prerecs
About 4 questionable, but selective prerecs

I have never understood why people get superfluous master's degrees thinking they can beat the system by upping the cGPA. How does your committee view master's from erroneous fields and what is the rationale for placing the precrec gpa value so low on the point scale....when it seems more relevant?

Main reason for asking this is that I hear people for prehealth programs running around saying they are automatically getting a master's to 'look more competitive' in their gap year. Unfortunately, a lot of master's degrees are marketed without assistantship possibilities...but their investment will be 'better preparation.' I think this thinking is incredibly flawed as well as the marketing, but I may be wrong. I would think that very specific master's programs would be a decent TIME invenstment, but I don't see people going about this decision in a logical manner.

Last edited:
I always thought chemistry was an unecessary pre-req for physical therapy ...all the other pre-reqs have some relevance

I also took Zoology instead of Bio II, and that class didn't seem to have any relevance for PT school

I always thought chemistry was an unecessary pre-req for physical therapy ...all the other pre-reqs have some relevance

It is essentially impossible to understand human physiology without an understanding of the basic principles of chemistry, particularly acid/base chemistry, the behavior of ions, etc. You can gain a lot more insight and understanding when studying the human body if you understand the way that atoms and molecules interact with each other. It is a highly relevant pre-req.

Having a Master's degree would be a much big 'prize' for our admissions vs. a 0.5 GPA bump on pre-req GPA. And although you will live poorly, you should be able to not pay tuition for a Master's degree.

Logically I would agree with this, especially if your GPA in the master's program showed you did well. As for whether or not you have to pay for it, I think that is going to depend largely on the field and the grant funding available, no?

I just know there have been several reports on here of the cost to benefit ratio of getting a masters degree to be fairly low if your goal is just to get into PT school. 2 years is a long time for a degree you don't plan to do anything with, and the situation is made worse if you pay full price for it.

But as you said, calling each school is certainly a highly advisable course of action.

Logically I would agree with this, especially if your GPA in the master's program showed you did well. As for whether or not you have to pay for it, I think that is going to depend largely on the field and the grant funding available, no?

I just know there have been several reports on here of the cost to benefit ratio of getting a masters degree to be fairly low if your goal is just to get into PT school. 2 years is a long time for a degree you don't plan to do anything with, and the situation is made worse if you pay full price for it.

But as you said, calling each school is certainly a highly advisable course of action.

exactly. A&P is Biology and Biology is nothing but chemistry on a macrolevel. If you don't understand chemistry to at least some novice level, well you are just memorizing biology concepts and truly do not know much about the subject. Challenge yourself, learn the material instead of trying to memorize things. 95% of the time I'll beat out my classmates by completely disregarding the professor's material, which is prepared for the memorizing robotic biology students, and do my own self study via YOUTUBE. End rant.

It is essentially impossible to understand human physiology without an understanding of the basic principles of chemistry, particularly acid/base chemistry, the behavior of ions, etc. You can gain a lot more insight and understanding when studying the human body if you understand the way that atoms and molecules interact with each other. It is a highly relevant pre-req.
hmmm yeah that's true...good point

I wonder why OT doesn't require chemistry as a pre-req then

Thanks for all the help!

The class I will be immediately retaking is Biology 2. Although it's not a prereq at most of the schools I'm looking at it definitely weighs heavily into my math/science gpa.

After contacting at least the number 1 school on my list they've advised me to definitely retake the prereqs. Although it's no excuse, those B's on my record are largely due to my involvement in D1 athletics in my first two years of college. It took a lot of time and dedication and I know this time around I will be able to put my full focus on them.

After doing the calculations, if I retake and replace A&P 1/2 and either CHM 1 or PSY with A's I'll have around. 3.5-3.6 pre req GPA. Along with a new and hopefully higher GrE score I think this will definitely help me.

Also I'm happy to say I've accepted an offer as a PRN PT aide with a large health system in Atlanta GA with multiple clinics in different setting!

Thanks for all the help!

The class I will be immediately retaking is Biology 2. Although it's not a prereq at most of the schools I'm looking at it definitely weighs heavily into my math/science gpa.

After contacting at least the number 1 school on my list they've advised me to definitely retake the prereqs. Although it's no excuse, those B's on my record are largely due to my involvement in D1 athletics in my first two years of college. It took a lot of time and dedication and I know this time around I will be able to put my full focus on them.

After doing the calculations, if I retake and replace A&P 1/2 and either CHM 1 or PSY with A's I'll have around. 3.5-3.6 pre req GPA. Along with a new and hopefully higher GrE score I think this will definitely help me.

Also I'm happy to say I've accepted an offer as a PRN PT aide with a large health system in Atlanta GA with multiple clinics in different setting!
Sounds like you have a great plan. Best of luck!

Good answers here. I'm happy to share my experiences too if you PM me. A masters will not make up for poor pre reqs. I recommend doing the pre reqs first before a masters....otherwise you will eternally be burdened with a low pre req GPA when applying. If your pre reqs are great, then sure, a masters sets you apart.

My general advice for low applicant GPA is retake as many pre reqs as possible to get "A on top" especially if the coursework is older

I would think it would be highly unlikely to pay for a traditional graduate degree. Professional ones (MPH, MD, DPT, JD) different issue. But biology, ex phys, etc....should not pay. Again, living expenses and fees are a different issue.
2 years is a long time, but a decision everyone needs to make on their own.

As I just wrote in a previous thread, we like graduate students..those with Masters. DPT is a graduate program, and many traditional students come in thinking it will be like undergrad. And that is challenging for them. We want to hold them to a standard that a Masters student in biology, ex phys, etc. would be held to, as I do not think the current DPT model allows us to hold them to a professional doctoral degree standard (i.e., MD).