Post Interview Chances - Texas

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Bimby22

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a Texas resident with a 3.89GPA and 27 MCAT (on my 3rd retake). I think my ECs are pretty good. I've worked in a hospital lab for the past 3 years, which has given me a lot of patient contact. I also completed a research internship at MD Anderson this summer. I've received 4 interview invites and I've gone to 2 so far (the next 1 is this Friday, and then I have 1 in December). My interviews are TCOM, Tech-El Paso, Tech-Lubbock, and A&M.

Even with the 4 interviews I'm pretty nervous about getting wait listed at all of them because of my MCAT score. What do yall think?

Members don't see this ad.

Its hard to say. If you do get all waitlists and rejects, you can apply all DO next year and you'll get in.

I read somewhere that statistically, after four interviews, you should end up with an acceptance somewhere. If not, it's because you're really unlucky or you're interviewing badly.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think you will get into one of those. MCAT is low but if you feel strongly about the other aspects of your application and the interviews went well then I don't see a reason as to why you wouldn't get in.

Tech - N/R
Foster - 33%
UTMB - N/R
TAMU - 71%
UNT - 63%
UTHSCSA - 57%
Baylor - 47%
Houston - 43%
UTSW - 39%

So based on your current interviews, if we assume lubbock has around a 33% acceptance rate then your chance of getting into at least one of those schools is approx. 95% so assuming you did well on your interviews luck is on your side.

Thanks for the input everyone! I got another interview invite today from UTMB! I'm pretty excited...the more invites the better the chance. Good luck to everyone this season!

I think you have a good chance of getting in with 5 interviews. A&M and TCOM have a high postinterview acceptance rate.

Tech - N/R
Foster - 33%
UTMB - N/R
TAMU - 71%
UNT - 63%
UTHSCSA - 57%
Baylor - 47%
Houston - 43%
UTSW - 39%

So based on your current interviews, if we assume lubbock has around a 33% acceptance rate then your chance of getting into at least one of those schools is approx. 95% so assuming you did well on your interviews luck is on your side.

That is assuming the school's decisions are independent, which is not a good assumption. You can't really do a calculation like that.

That is assuming the school's decisions are independent, which is not a good assumption. You can't really do a calculation like that.

and why wouldn't the school's decisions be independent of each other?

and why wouldn't the school's decisions be independent of each other?

Because the applicants qualifications are the same at all schools and the schools are likely looking for the same thing.

For example if a red flag kept him out of one school it would probably keep him out of another school since the processes are very similar.

Well I received a prematch offer today from Tech El Paso!! If I can I would like to get into a school that's a little closer to my hometown, but it feels good to not have to worry about if I'm going to get into med school but where I'm going to med school:D