Post-Interview Communication

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

psychiatryhopeful

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I hope that this thread doesn't cause unnecessary stress. My bf (who is applying into a different field) has been receiving phone calls recently saying that he's a strong candidate and inviting him for second looks. Has anyone been receiving communication of this nature for psychiatry? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I got a call from Penn with a 'we're impressed' but other than that, nada. I also got some informal 2nd look invites during my interview day at some programs, but I doubt this means anything.

Reactions: 1 user
I've received an unsolicited email & holiday card from 1 program, but that's it.

Members don't see this ad :)

Last edited:
Thanks! Would you mind sharing where you received unsolicited communication from? No pressure if you don't feel comfortable!

Got an e-mail from Mercy in Des Moines along the lines of "thanks for interviewing, here's our program's identifying info for the match (new program), we were glad to meet you". Seemed like a generic e-mail though to remind us of their info. I did get a few encouraging e-mails from PDs in response to thank you e-mails, but Mercy was the only unsolicited one I got.

Reactions: 1 users
The party line from programs is that they don't do post interview communication. Or they send mundane emails to everyone.

That said, people do actually get directly recruited (and directly contacted) every year. They are the exception.

Really legit recruitment comes with promises. Promises like "You're in our top 10 (at a program with 10 spots.)" at minimum. Can get outlandish, like directly facilitating employment of non-medical spouse in competitive field, or promises to arrange call schedules with spouse who is a year ahead in the same program. (These are two examples from friends of mine.)

Subtle recruitment behind the scenes is arranging couples matches between specialty departments. Usually one very strong candidate and one less strong but still very strong candidate in that circumstance.

Last edited:
Most programs said they specifically don't do this because they don't accomplish a whole lot and can come dangerously close to a match violation.

At one or two programs the chief resident or PD just sent a template thank you email to every applicant and asked us to send them questions.

there is no room between match violation and appearing disinterested. It is nothing but awkward at best.

I received some unsolicited emails/letters shortly after my interview from a few places that I've heard contact all interviewees. I haven't gotten any phone calls or other recruiting efforts.

I received some unsolicited emails/letters shortly after my interview from a few places that I've heard contact all interviewees. I haven't gotten any phone calls or other recruiting efforts.

I've only heard from programs that contact everyone as well. I have had a few in-person niceties about my competitiveness or invitations for a second look if I'm interested, but again, they may say this to everyone.

One PD said to the group "you all interviewed well and if we invited you to interview we think you're qualified. So we'd love to have any of you. That's the extent of my post interview communication unless you have questions." Honestly that's the best approach for everyone IMO.

I've only heard from programs that contact everyone as well. I have had a few in-person niceties about my competitiveness or invitations for a second look if I'm interested, but again, they may say this to everyone.

One PD said to the group "you all interviewed well and if we invited you to interview we think you're qualified. So we'd love to have any of you. That's the extent of my post interview communication unless you have questions." Honestly that's the best approach for everyone IMO.
Yet somehow this will be interpreted in the applicant's mind as "You're ranked to match!"

Yet somehow this will be interpreted in the applicant's mind as "You're ranked to match!"

"Hmm there are 10 of us interviewing but they have 6 spots. Must be adding more spots to the intern class this year!!!"

(Note: I am not above this.)

I got a lengthy, personalized, and unsolicited love letter for the first time from one of my top programs. Definitely gave me some warm fuzzies but won't be changing the way I rank my programs. Now if only #1 will get back to me...

Well it is a match violation they are not allowed to ask that. (Yes it's still a match violation if a resident asks you without the PD's knowledge). If they alter their rank list based on your call that is super sketchy.

It is a PD's responsibility to educate faculty and staff about these rules for these reasons. Most PDs wouldn't alter their list if given this information. You could cause trouble for them, but what would be the point of that? Odds are if the PD hears of this conversation, they will worry and send out an educational e-mail to the whole department and hope you drop it. This resident probably didn't think through the implications and just wanted to make your day with good news. Green horn mistake, but probably not malicious in intent.

Their sentiment was if they are my top choice I will be happy match day and trying to be friendly rather than probing me for info but It was still uncomfortable for me over the phone. I'm just taking it as a compliment and moving on.

Last edited:
I received an email from somewhere that said they don't do post-interview communications. Perhaps I misheard and they meant, in particular, post-interview communications where one side or the other solicits ranking information. In any case, they were already my number one. I offered that information unsolicited, because silliness. In real life it would have looked like this:

"Hi, how have you been. Enjoying the weather?" "I LOVE YOU."

Except hopefully with a little more dignity, but I doubt it.

Last edited:
Soooo. If you haven't received any emails other than appropriately neutral polite responses to your thank you letters, does it mean everyone hated you?

(I don't really think so, but SDN-induced anxiety is strong. Also starting to think I'm not such a desirable applicant as I used to believe :D)

Soooo. If you haven't received any emails other than appropriately neutral polite responses to your thank you letters, does it mean everyone hated you?

(I don't really think so, but SDN-induced anxiety is strong. Also starting to think I'm not such a desirable applicant as I used to believe :D)
Don't read anything into it.

Reactions: 1 users