Post interview communications

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

abcdior

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
anyone get any "love letters" and what not yet?

me: IV'ed 13 programs, only sent thank you letters to a couple programs and only to PDs (mostly due to laziness)

this is what I heard back so far:

Rush- sent TY email: got nada back
Loma Linda- TY email : generic TY email back
Hawaii- TY email : generic TY email back
UW- TY email : nada

nothing else beyond those, I'm kinda worried?

Members don't see this ad.

Send thank you letters to almost all programs. Mostly got no response. Generic responses from Miami, Wisconsin, Case Western.

Got a nice response from UIC though. Said, "We think you'd be a great fit at our program". Definitely makes me consider bumping them up to number 2 but I don't know whether that actually means anything.

Send thank you letters to almost all programs. Mostly got no response. Generic responses from Miami, Wisconsin, Case Western.

Got a nice response from UIC though. Said, "We think you'd be a great fit at our program". Definitely makes me consider bumping them up to number 2 but I don't know whether that actually means anything.
It usually doesn't mean anything. Make your rank list based on your own feelings, not your perceptions of the feelings of other places.

The exception to this is the friend of mine who was in communication with a program at a large top-10 university which gave his husband a professorship at that university to lure my friend to residency there.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Not much here either. Only one email that I would consider a "love" letter from ECU. Letter was from PD and said that if I chose ECU she would be honored to be my PD. I received an email from a resident at UAMS stating they thought I was a good fit. An email from the PD and one resident at Indiana University basically both saying they enjoyed getting to know me and to keep them in mind. The last two I figured were just polite emails and no indication of if I was ranked to match. The one from ECU I took more as a sign that I might be ranked to match there based on the wording. I have interviewed at 11 places so far with 2 more to go. I realize though that none of this really means anything though as people have been burned in the past even when programs straight up told them they were ranked to match.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Unfortunately, I and every other psych interested friend I have that interviewed with UIC received that exact same email. I wouldn't read into it.

Unfortunately, I and every other psych interested friend I have that interviewed with UIC received that exact same email. I wouldn't read into it.

Good to know. I interviewed early at UIC so initially put it down to standard follow up. When I didn't receive anything similar from other programs, I thought maybe it meant something. Glad I have some more data points to put it into perspective.

It's in a program's best interest to hypothetically get every applicant to rank them #1, because then they they get all their top choice applicants. Unless it's something really specific like FlowRate mentioned, I wouldn't put any stock in post-interview communication (presence or absence). And I DEFINITELY wouldn't change any rank positions based on post-interview contact.

Here is a relevant article that the Yale PD handed out at the end of my interview day: http://jamanetwork.com/journals/jama/fullarticle/184628

It's that time again, isn't it?
https://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/love-letters-post-interview-communications.1182283/

It's in a program's best interest to hypothetically get every applicant to rank them #1, because then they they get all their top choice applicants. Unless it's something really specific like FlowRate mentioned, I wouldn't put any stock in post-interview communication (presence or absence). And I DEFINITELY wouldn't change any rank positions based on post-interview contact.
And don't worry, neither will we!

As I posted a year ago--
Basically, unless you're a complete stiff or sociopath at interview, if we invited you to interview we think you're matchable. You just need to accept that some candidates will appear better to us than others, just as some programs will appear more desirable to you than others. We'll rank applicants in the order we like them. You should rank programs in the order you prefer. Then we will all learn how to live with one another for the next 4 years.

Reactions: 1 users
not surprised to see UIC acting shady :yawn: Only heard back from 1 program and it's not even in my top 5. I don't mind though, there should be no such thing as post interview communication imo

If it makes people reading feel better, I interviewed at 10 programs, sent thank you cards/emails to at least 5 if not more, along with a "#1" email and have gotten absolutely no post-interview communication of any kind.

I think getting out of your own head during this process is best, but I'm just being hypocritical because it's night before ROL opens and I'm obsessing like no other...

Members don't see this ad :)
Don't forget to make your thank-you letter stand out!

I know of at least one specialty that banned post-interview communications: Plastic Surgery. This was because post-interview communications were frequently misleading as applicants and training problems often make false/ambiguous statements to try to get some inkling of perceived benefit from the other party. Saying "We think you would be a good fit for our program! We would definitely love for you to train here. We'd be thrilled to have you here." (I have gotten those three sentences in emails from PDs) might be misinterpreted as "omg they ranked me to match!!" I think it's fine to communicate about objective information (salary, number of child/research track spots, etc.), but anything more can be problematic.

It sucks but 17-51% of applicants change their rank order list based on post-interview communications, which can be misleading from either the program or from the applicant reading too much into it. I agree with StrangerFigs and OldPsychDoc: do NOT let post-interview communication from programs change your rank list. The Match is a beautifully designed system: to function best, it requires only that all participants act in a purely selfish manner. Rank lists should always be true preference lists. The Match was designed so that students are guaranteed the best available program for them, regardless of program preference. If students would stop considering program preferences, programs would will have fewer reasons to mislead students. Same goes for the other way around.

Last edited:
I know of at least one specialty that banned post-interview communications: Plastic Surgery. This was because post-interview communications were frequently misleading as applicants and training problems often make false/ambiguous statements to try to get some inkling of perceived benefit from the other party. Saying "We think you would be a good fit for our program! We would definitely love for you to train here. We'd be thrilled to have you here." (I have gotten those three sentences in emails from PDs) might be misinterpreted as "omg they ranked me to match!!" I think it's fine to communicate about objective information (salary, number of child/research track spots, etc.), but anything more can be problematic.

It sucks but 17-51% of applicants change their rank order list based on post-interview communications, which can be misleading from either the program or from the applicant reading too much into it. I agree with StrangerFigs and OldPsychDoc: do NOT let post-interview communication from programs change your rank list. The Match is a beautifully designed system: to function best, it requires only that all participants act in a purely selfish manner. Rank lists should always be true preference lists. The Match was designed so that students are guaranteed the best available program for them, regardless of program preference. If students would stop considering program preferences, programs would will have fewer reasons to mislead students. Same goes for the other way around.

Unless of course that communication reveals something you were unaware of beforehand :shifty:

Still my favorite SDN post:

UCLA-Semel: Sent me flowers at school. Repeated phone calls. Finally, PD started showing up at my house, holding a boombox playing "In Your Eyes" by Peter Gabriel.

UCSF: Letter stating that I could come in as chair of the department instead of going through the residency.

UW: Phone call with chair. Promised that I would be the only applicant they would rank. "Those other people are s**t", direct quote from chair.

UCSD: Letter from chair offering one "free murder" a year, no questions asked. Also, ten pounds of the lunch meat of my choice.

Emory: Told me that if I ranked them, they would bring back Freaknik.

Duke: Showed a strange prediliction for telegraphs (both singing and regular), culminating in a visit from a rather tired man and horse from something called the "Pony Express"

UPMC: Offered to construct giant retractable dome over the city of Pittsburgh to block out the snow. Should dome construction prove unfeasible from an engineering standpoint due to our current knowledge of carbon nanotubules, will instead relocate program to Papeete, Tahiti.

Penn: Minimal post-interview correspondence, but did unveil a life size bronze statue of me in hospital lobby during my interview day, so I have to think my chances are at least ok.

Hopkins: Call from PD telling me that if I went there they would let me wear shorts during rounds. On Mondays, shorts must feature Hopkins logo.

Cornell: The PD and chair sent me warm, but impersonal, letters written on ultrafine sheets of 24K gold

NYU: No post-interview contact.

Columbia: Letter offering to rename hospital to New Ypsl Presbyterian Hospital, pending negotiations with the State of New York.

MGH: Given the high cost of rentals in Boston, offered to let me live rent-free in the Pavilion at McLean (http://www.mclean.harvard.edu/patient/adult/pav.php).

Not sure how to link to the original, but I accidentally bumped it.

Reactions: 4 users
As a general rule, I think it's a good idea not to read too much into these kinds of communications. I know that my medical school warned us many times against taking such messages to heart, but I still didn't listen. When my top choice program told me, "as you know we can't say anything official, but if you rank us first, the odds of you landing here will be very high," I was sure it was a nudge-nudge-wink-wink scenario. It was not. I was sure I would match there. I did not. It didn't affect my rank list, but I felt like I got the rug pulled out from under me and I was mad about it for awhile. The great thing about the Match, though, is that the vast majority of people end up somewhere they find acceptable. For the most part the system works reasonably well, chaotic as it might be. So let me repeat the very advice that I ignored: don't read too much into these kinds of communications.

Last edited:
Not much here either. Only one email that I would consider a "love" letter from ECU. Letter was from PD and said that if I chose ECU she would be honored to be my PD. I received an email from a resident at UAMS stating they thought I was a good fit. An email from the PD and one resident at Indiana University basically both saying they enjoyed getting to know me and to keep them in mind. The last two I figured were just polite emails and no indication of if I was ranked to match. The one from ECU I took more as a sign that I might be ranked to match there based on the wording. I have interviewed at 11 places so far with 2 more to go. I realize though that none of this really means anything though as people have been burned in the past even when programs straight up told them they were ranked to match.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

I got the same letter from ECU's PD, I guess I wasn't as special as I thought.

There is a logic flaw in "everyone is special". There really isn't a way to game this. Any strategy other than rank them the way you like them will disadvantage you.

Please check some of the threads of last year. Don't be fooled by any "love letters" or post-interview communication by programs, unless they tell you literally "we are ranking you to match". This is PR season now and programs will say anything to sell their programs, including giving you the impression that you're special and they liked you.

unless they tell you literally "we are ranking you to match"

I'm pretty sure that the phrase "ranked to match" should be taken with just as many grains of salt as any other communication.

I'm pretty sure that the phrase "ranked to match" should be taken with just as many grains of salt as any other communication.
I would be VERY surprised if any PD of a reputable program used that phrase anymore, at least in psych.
If it's actually happened to you (not a friend or "someone I met on the trail"), I'd be interested to hear about it.

If your favorite program tells you this, I wouldn't completely disregard it. I mean, you'll rank it #1 and find out if you "rank 'em how you like 'em" anyways. If you don't end up matching, they were lying and you'll be somewhere that felt you were a great fit.

If your favorite program tells you this, I wouldn't completely disregard it. I mean, you'll rank it #1 and find out if you "rank 'em how you like 'em" anyways. If you don't end up matching, they were lying and you'll be somewhere that felt you were a great fit.
If your favorite applicant tells you they're ranking your program #1, I wouldn't completely disregard it. I mean, you'll rank them in your first half-dozen and find out if you "rank 'em how you like 'em" anyways. If they don't end up matching with you, they were lying and you'll (hopefully) get someone else who's a great fit.
;)

If your favorite applicant tells you they're ranking your program #1, I wouldn't completely disregard it. I mean, you'll rank them in your first half-dozen and find out if you "rank 'em how you like 'em" anyways. If they don't end up matching with you, they were lying and you'll (hopefully) get someone else who's a great fit.
;)

Your perspective is priceless!

I would be VERY surprised if any PD of a reputable program used that phrase anymore, at least in psych.
If it's actually happened to you (not a friend or "someone I met on the trail"), I'd be interested to hear about it.

It hasn't happened to me yet - I've just heard the phrase being mentioned by other applicants. I'll let you know if it happens.