Post-interview letter

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Samanta

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is this a bad sign if you don't get a letter from a program after your interview? What if you get e-mails from all of the interviewers that are very positive? Does it count as much as an official letter or is a lack of letter a clear sign that they won't rank you?
Are they any unwritten rules about this? I would appreciate if you could share your experiences with me.

Members don't see this ad.

Samanta said:
Is this a bad sign if you don't get a letter from a program after your interview? What if you get e-mails from all of the interviewers that are very positive? Does it count as much as an official letter or is a lack of letter a clear sign that they won't rank you?
Are they any unwritten rules about this? I would appreciate if you could share your experiences with me.

Geez, I hope it is not a bad sign if you don't get a letter after an interview because I have been on 7 interviews and gotten 1 letter. No emails from interviewers at all.

I haven't even thought about this but am not worried about it. From what I have heard, it is more program dependent than applicant dependent. Apparently, some programs flat-out lie and send really positive letters to everybody, while some are at the other extreme and don't send letters at all. I think we may hear more as rank list time approaches as well.

Don't read too much into that Samanta. Based on my experience, I didn't receive many letters...I received 3 letters out of 12 interviews. Don't sweat it.

Members don't see this ad :)
That's about what I received too. Got a couple of follow up emails from program directors or chief residents. Got a couple of follow up letters in the mail from program directors and a couple of notes from chairmen. It most definitely was not all of the interviews.

I think I got 1 or 2 generic letters afterwards, and a couple of emails. I wouldn't put any stock in a letter or lack of one.