post-interview love letters/emails/calls

Discussion in 'Pediatrics' started by drbetty, Jan 5, 2009.

1. drbetty

2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    just curious if you guys have heard from programs s/p interview...

i've gotten 2 letters with handwritten side notes, a phone call, and some emails & i want so much for these letters so mean something, but the impression that i am getting from friends & previous SDN posters is that it's nothing special and all part of the game...

2. elr1983

7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Yea, I got a handwritten letter with a handwritten side note from Rainbow, but that's the only one. Where did you hear from?

3. eag

eag Member
    10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    So far, I've gotten one letter and one email.

4. twilburys

2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I think last year's group of applicants decided not to have a thread like this, which IMHO was a good idea. It really just hurts individuals feelings, and we truly won't know if any of the love letters, etc. mean anything until after the match anyway.

Last year, I had a friend who was convinced she was going to match at a certain program b/c they told her how much they wanted her, and she was devastated on Match Day. I had another friend receive the same type of feedback from another program, and ended up matching there. So it really can go either way.

5. DocStretch

DocStretch Member
    10+ Year Member

So far the only things that have had any handwriting were the checks they keep sending me ;)

But on a serious note, I'm inclined to agree w/ twilbury in that they don't really mean that much. I even had it come up at one of my interview days when meeting with the residents. He made it a point that their program has a policy of not contacting the applicants in that manner (but they were always available if they had any questions) so not to sweat it when we didn't hear from them.

6. drbetty

2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    NW & Rainbow.

I agree with other posters it probably doesn't matter though. I just found another thread where an applicant received a letter from a program where she had never even interviewed!