Post-Interview ulcer

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

degoo_

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I need some people to relate to me. I had my first interview today, and I'd say it went average. Some questions I felt confident about, but there was one or two where I had no idea what to say, and I'm sure it showed as the verbal diarrhea spewed from my mouth. The interviewer pretty much asked the same question twice, and both times I was unable to answer.
After such an event, I'm sure many of us have that unsettling feeling that it didn't go right, and now there are months of thumb twiddling before that's confirmed or not.
For those who went through this, what ended up happening. Were you completely off and got accepted, waitlisted, or rejected?

Members don't see this ad.

It seems that lots of people don't get a good feel for how their interview went.

Regardless of how you felt about the interview, all that really matters is how your interviewer perceived and then rated you based on whatever criteria the school uses. Your perception of how things went can be VERY different than your interviewers.

I think they realize that people are somewhat nervous in these types of situations and are relatively understanding. There's not much you can do about it now, so there's no real use in dwelling.

Anecdotally, I thought my first interview went pretty badly and I ended up getting in to the school in their first batch of acceptances. I'm 4 for 5 on post-interview acceptances, and I can tell you that I had mixed feelings about each interview after it was over. Try to remember that it's only a piece of the puzzle....

yea it's true: your interview is simply one more piece of your application. there is NO school out there that evaluates applicants simply based on the interview once they make it past the invite. i mean, case in point: baylor, who actually ranks you via COMPUTER! (jeez) even after your interviewers assign you a number, it still gets put into a big equation with mcat, gpa, lor's ,etc etc etc...

and in case you were wondering, the very first school i interviewed at had a VERY mean MD interviewer. Three other people also had this interviewer, and one girl came out with her mascara running all over the place. i literally felt paralyzed during the whole interview as he pretty much denigrated every sentence that came out of my mouth. the whole time, i kept on repeating in my head: "keep on smiling, keep on smiling, KEEP...ON...SMILING...."

i got in. :)

Members don't see this ad :)
I got accepted after what I thought was my worst interview. The person interviewing me was nice, but just asked some tought questions. Sounds like you had a similar experience. I thought for sure that I did so poorly that I wouldn't get in. I was wrong.

Remember when you thought you bombed the MCAT and then everything turned out ok? ;)

MCW claimed that once an applicant is invited for an interview, the resulting interview evaluations were the only criteria considered for the final decision.

As to whether this is actually true, who knows?

I got waitlisted at the school where I had my best interview. I got accepted to the school where I had my worst interviews. You can never really tell with these things. It probably wasn't as bad as you think.

yea it's true: your interview is simply one more piece of your application. there is NO school out there that evaluates applicants simply based on the interview once they make it past the invite. i mean, case in point: baylor, who actually ranks you via COMPUTER! (jeez) even after your interviewers assign you a number, it still gets put into a big equation with mcat, gpa, lor's ,etc etc etc...

and in case you were wondering, the very first school i interviewed at had a VERY mean MD interviewer. Three other people also had this interviewer, and one girl came out with her mascara running all over the place. i literally felt paralyzed during the whole interview as he pretty much denigrated every sentence that came out of my mouth. the whole time, i kept on repeating in my head: "keep on smiling, keep on smiling, KEEP...ON...SMILING...."

i got in. :)

HAHAHA, i JUST had an interview like this...OMG, it was so hard to keep smiling, he was soooo mean!!! glad to know i'm not alone

I need some people to relate to me. I had my first interview today, and I'd say it went average. Some questions I felt confident about, but there was one or two where I had no idea what to say, and I'm sure it showed as the verbal diarrhea spewed from my mouth. The interviewer pretty much asked the same question twice, and both times I was unable to answer.
After such an event, I'm sure many of us have that unsettling feeling that it didn't go right, and now there are months of thumb twiddling before that's confirmed or not.
For those who went through this, what ended up happening. Were you completely off and got accepted, waitlisted, or rejected?

Meh, nothing a few drinks at the pub can't take care of.