Post-Match Step II Failure... Oops.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

billybob2004

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a regular on SDN but, since this isn't exactly the best of news, I thought I'd make up a new ID real quick to ask the residents a quick question:

What happens now that I've managed to fail Step II AFTER matching at a great residency? I've got enough time to take it again and kick the crap out of it before starting up, but I'm not sure that I'll get my scores back before my start date (mid-June). My question is this: Does my residency automatically find out? Or if I retake it and pass before starting can I just forget that this ever happened? :)

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

First of all, I'm an MS-4 and not a resident. But here is my 2 cents:

Two things to be careful of:

1. Your school's graduation requirements. If your school requires students to pass step 2 to graduate, make sure to do so. Check with your dean's office and find out whether they need the actual score documented. If you have taken step 2 but do not have the score by graduation, will they grant you a provisional graduation contingent upon a step 2 passing score being documented after your diploma date. Also, would they document for your residency program that you have in fact 'graduated.'

2. Your residency's requirements. Find out if your residency program requires you to pass step 2 prior to your start date. Some do not. And others do not require documentation prior to the start date because of situations like yours.

Whatever requirements apply in your situation, if you have taken step 2 before your start date, then your program might give you some slack if it was just a matter of getting the score from the NBME. I'm feel certain that you are not the first person who has had rotten luck with step 2. I'm sure it will work out. Just check these things out so you don't get in hot water down the line.

hey billybob, I feel for you.
first thing is calm down and stay focused. yeah that step 2 is hard isn't it. I just took so I can see how it can catch people by surprise. I figure the earliest you can take it is mid may if you took the test one month ago today. you're best bet is to try the kaplan qbank and the usmleworld qbank if you haven't done so already. The mistake that I and a lot of other people make is trying to read text without a reference to questions. you are more likely to forget what you just read. I am wondering if that is what happenened to you. Well I think if that is the case then you should consider doing the qbank questions and studying the explanations to all of the questions. also reading first aid text pertinent to the question explanations should facilitate some of the text sticking to your head. I struggled with step 1 because I tried to read the text bland with no reference to questions. for step 2 I did the questions and read the explanation and then read only the first aid text relevant to the questions at that time and that worked out more for me. that's just a thought. In terms of your residency making your signature of the contract contigent on you passing the exam, I don't think that is likely. I think for the most part they want you to get your degree. but in either case if you can take the test by june then telling them that the score is along the way may be fine. and the first failure may not be a big deal if you pass the 2nd attempt. but again that is all my opinion. if you have any questions about passing the test, then feel free to post them here or send me a private message. keep your head up :) :thumbup:

By the way. I'm not sure if your program will find out or not. I think you have to specifically request that the NBME send your score to programs.

And yes, if you take the test again and get a 'pass,' then I imagine you can go on living as though it never occurred.

hey billybob, i was just curious how you felt after the test? it seems like most people felt they had failed the test!

billybob2004 said:
I'm a regular on SDN but, since this isn't exactly the best of news, I thought I'd make up a new ID real quick to ask the residents a quick question:

What happens now that I've managed to fail Step II AFTER matching at a great residency? I've got enough time to take it again and kick the crap out of it before starting up, but I'm not sure that I'll get my scores back before my start date (mid-June). My question is this: Does my residency automatically find out? Or if I retake it and pass before starting can I just forget that this ever happened? :)

Thanks![/QUOT

You have likely screwed your colleagues and they will never forget it. Let me explain...I was supposed to have Q4 call on trauma surgery, but one of the interns who was supposed to be rotating on the rotation didn't pass Step II, and so, couldn't do any clinical duties. Bingo....Q3 call. Yea, we found out who it is, yea we're pretty mad at him. Yea, he eventually passed it and began working, but it was too late for the other interns on that rotation and myself.

[![/QUOT

You have likely screwed your colleagues and they will never forget it. Let me explain...I was supposed to have Q4 call on trauma surgery, but one of the interns who was supposed to be rotating on the rotation didn't pass Step II, and so, couldn't do any clinical duties. Bingo....Q3 call. Yea, we found out who it is, yea we're pretty mad at him. Yea, he eventually passed it and began working, but it was too late for the other interns on that rotation and myself.[/QUOTE]

OUCH! :eek:

Similar situation in our local gen surg dept, except w/ regards to step III.

Not passing was OK for at least a year- It took til the guy failed his 3rd time before the program gave him some "time off to study."

At that point, the q3 call and bitterness kicked in.

If you really can't work on the wards til scores come back, maybe you can trade your research elective or vacation time over to July.

Good luck!

At any rate, billybob needs more support than people talking **** about those who "screwed" them by failing Step II.

Dude, get a hold of copies of Secrets and First Aid, if you haven't already got them. Do lots of ?s from Kaplan and just relax when the day comes. We all get through it, and you will too.

now hold on here just a sec...
The state where I am applying for limited licensure (Massachusetts) only requires USMG to have completed medical school to get the limited licensure. In MA, if you are a FMG it is a different story and you have to pass both Step 1 and step 2 to get the same licensure.

I hope I didn't fail Step 2, but even if I did, what difference does it make for intern year? I'll have my limited license, and therefore (I assume) I will be working on the wards regardless of my Step 2 status.
I can't imaging my PD will have me sit on my ass when I am licensed just because I failed a stupid test.
Here is the link http://www.massmedboard.org/physician/fees.shtm

You are right, I think most states don't require USMLE Step 1 and Step 2 to start internship if you graduated from an approved US Medical School.

musicman1991 said:
You are right, I think most states don't require USMLE Step 1 and Step 2 to start internship if you graduated from an approved US Medical School.

i would assume most states require an MD degree, and if you're at a school with similar reqs as mine, you will need to pass step 2 to graduate

jakstat33 said:
i would assume most states require an MD degree, and if you're at a school with similar reqs as mine, you will need to pass step 2 to graduate

nope, not me. just needed to sit for step 2 to graduate.
But, like you said, school dependent

Passing Step 2 before graduation is school dependent. For instance, Hopkins didn't require their students to take the USMLE before graduation when I went to school there. In regards to internship, the State of Iowa only required a medical degree for a resident license. Step 1, 2, and 3 are required to obtain an independent medical license. Some residents wait until their PGY-4+ before taking Step 3.

Check with your school and then check the state requirements for your residency program.

Yeah give the guy a break.

Billybob since you seem to have disappeared, if you come back. Let us know, why do you think you failed? Did you blow it off complete like most 4th years?

ask the program to schedule your vacation for july