Post-match surveys from programs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

marcello

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
out of curiosity:
as some programs are sending post-match surveys to determine what influenced an applicants decisions, are these programs targeting those who were 'ranked to match' or just everyone who interviewed at the particular hospital? could be interesting to know which programs ranked us highly.

Members don't see this ad.

out of curiosity:
as some programs are sending post-match surveys to determine what influenced an applicants decisions, are these programs targeting those who were 'ranked to match' or just everyone who interviewed at the particular hospital? could be interesting to know which programs ranked us highly.

I didnt match but still got those surveys, talk about salt on your wounds. :D

out of curiosity:

When my program has sent out surveys, we have targeted the ranked applicants above the point where our program filled (excluding those with whom we matched). Those are the people who would have come to our program if they had ranked us first, and we are interested in learning about the factors that influenced their decision to rank another program (or programs) higher. We definitely wouldn't send a survey to anyone ranked below the "fill" position because we don't know that those applicants did not rank us first.

So, getting those surveys is a good thing?

<-- is now overanalyzing the places that sent her surveys

Are most people sending these back? Would it be a really awful thing if we didn't? Some of these questionaires are really incredibly detailed and ask a billion questions and are definititly not anonymous. I don't necessarily feel comfortable telling a program where I ranked them.

Are most people sending these back? Would it be a really awful thing if we didn't? Some of these questionaires are really incredibly detailed and ask a billion questions and are definititly not anonymous. I don't necessarily feel comfortable telling a program where I ranked them.

what's the big deal? what can they do to you now?

Really? It's done and over with, so I wouldn't worry about being truthful and telling them what your views are.

I did get irritated with a survey from my #1, which said "why didn't you rank us first? List the reasons." Well, I did rank you first! But I got #2:laugh:

I scrambled and got one that said "congratulations on your match, we hope you got your #1 spot."

So I figured I'd fill it out, since I had some gripes about their interview day; I told them what improvements could be made.

When my program has sent out surveys, we have targeted the ranked applicants above the point where our program filled (excluding those with whom we matched). Those are the people who would have come to our program if they had ranked us first, and we are interested in learning about the factors that influenced their decision to rank another program (or programs) higher. We definitely wouldn't send a survey to anyone ranked below the "fill" position because we don't know that those applicants did not rank us first.

This obviously is not universally practiced as I got one of these from my #2 and I wound up matching several slots lower than #2.
I'm puzzled by your statement "if they had ranked us first". Don't you mean if they had ranked you higher than the program they actually matched into, whether that program was 1st or 10th? People have to rank your program first on their list in order to match?:eek:

By the way I had to refrain from burning the survey. It asked for comparisons between my perception of their program and the program "that I chose to go to." I found it really insulting that they sent it. Who would fill out a survey from a job they got turned down from?

By the way I had to refrain from burning the survey. It asked for comparisons between my perception of their program and the program "that I chose to go to." I found it really insulting that they sent it. Who would fill out a survey from a job they got turned down from?

I know several people who did not get their top choices and ended up matching farther down their list and also some who scrambled. It seems insensitive to ask applicants all kinds of invasive questions about what they could do to improve their program so that applicants will rank them #1, especially when the programs did not rank the applicant highly.

Last edited:
Really? It's done and over with, so I wouldn't worry about being truthful and telling them what your views are.

I did get irritated with a survey from my #1, which said "why didn't you rank us first? List the reasons." Well, I did rank you first! But I got #2:laugh:

I know! I couldn't even look at the survey, pissed me off. :mad:

This obviously is not universally practiced as I got one of these from my #2 and I wound up matching several slots lower than #2.
I'm puzzled by your statement "if they had ranked us first". Don't you mean if they had ranked you higher than the program they actually matched into, whether that program was 1st or 10th? People have to rank your program first on their list in order to match?:eek:

You are technically correct. I was trying to be brief and hope I didn't muddy the perception of how the match works. I don't know if any of the people on our match list above a certain position would have come to us if they's ranked us higher than they did--but I do know they would have come if they'd ranked us first.

Anyway, all input is valuable to us as we try to improve the interview experience for future applicants. I can't change anything about our location or community, but I can express concerns raised about length of interview, types of questions asked, participation of residents, dinner/lunch menu items, transportation issues, and a host of other details. My program has made any number of changes based on post interview and post match surveys

I can certainly understand why people would be upset by receiving a survey from a program higher where they would have preferred to match. Honestly, I would probably either burn those or rip them into very tiny pieces.

Interesting...I hadn't thought about the post-match timing of the surveys I've received. I've had about equal numbers of post-match day surveys and post ROL-certifying but pre-match surveys...and the program I ranked #1 (but didn't match at) hasn't sent me jack squat...very interesting. Bastards.

I think a lot of programs send these to everyone who didn't match there but did interview...including the ones who would have LIKED to match there, but weren't ranked high enough by the program. It seems insensitive and no, you don't have to return those if you don't want to. Don't waste your time if you don't want to. The program is doing it for their own benefit, so they can improve the interview day, etc.

I received two of these (one snail mail, one e-mail). I was polite but honest on both.

One regionally well-renowned program just wasn't the right fit for me for multiple reasons (including geography). They asked me about a specific activity included in their interview day and what I thought about it (I hated it.) I told them why I didn't like it and that it made me uncomfortable.

The other program I liked in general but there was once more a geography and spousal-job-finding problem. I told them that I loved the program and the people but the job issue (no jobs for DH anywhere within city limits- would have to drive, drive, drive- didn't find this out until we got there) was important.

I think giving honest feedback to the programs is helpful for the students who come after you. Or, as in my second example, if you had a special rapport with anyone at the program, perhaps from previous externships or visits, it lets them know you really were genuine in your interest but that other circumstances played into your decision.