Post-MCAT advice needed

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

notaroche

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Man I blew the MCAT. PS-8 VR - 8, BS - 10 for 26N. I was getting 10's on each section and NEVER got below a 9 on verbal for any practice test. I have a 3.73 and 3.68 science GPA. Thus, obviously I should have gotten at least a 30.

I know I need to retake. I'm also applying osteopathic and I'm confident I'll get in a few schools, but I want to keep my options open.

SO..., I signed up for the July 13 MCAT. Should I submit AMCAS to ONE school to get my grades verified and then August 13th (assuming a 30+) submit to the rest of the schools I want to apply to? OR should I submit to all the schools I want to apply to on June 1? What is the difference??? Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

If you apply to all your schools with the 26N, you're probably going to have a rough time securing admission, as it is not a competitive score and schools won't know you're retaking. If you apply to just one school and indicate you're going to re-take, AMCAS verifies and then the school holds the app until your new scores come in. Then you can add schools later once your scores come in. Assuming you make a significant (3 points or more) improvement, I'd say you still stand a decent shot. In August, maybe 1/3 to 1/2 of the applicant pool will have their secondaries/letters in and be complete before you.

I'd retake and wait, but that's just me.

-z

Man I blew the MCAT. PS-8 VR - 8, BS - 10 for 26N. I was getting 10's on each section and NEVER got below a 9 on verbal for any practice test. I have a 3.73 and 3.68 science GPA. Thus, obviously I should have gotten at least a 30.

I know I need to retake. I'm also applying osteopathic and I'm confident I'll get in a few schools, but I want to keep my options open.

SO..., I signed up for the July 13 MCAT. Should I submit AMCAS to ONE school to get my grades verified and then August 13th (assuming a 30+) submit to the rest of the schools I want to apply to? OR should I submit to all the schools I want to apply to on June 1? What is the difference??? Thanks.

There is a big difference here between the options you've stated. For many schools, a primary application submission via AMCAS AUTOMATICALLY counts as an application (even if you don't fill out the secondary!!). This could hurt you if you need to reapply as some schools may frown upon reapplicants, or have more stringent requirements for reapplicants in terms of what they've done to improve their application.

I think you're right that your MCAT score is not likely to be competitive in US Allopathic schools. If you've been scoring above a 30 on your practice tests and this is an aberration, then retake as soon as possible. If this is around where you've been scoring, you really have to take a step back and study again. Unless, of course, you're confident about and comfortable with osteopathic schools (I don't know much about those schools or that process).

Members don't see this ad :)
Submit to one and then wait for your other MCAT score - if you submit to all you may be rejected presecondary by a lot of schools because they don't realize you have another score coming.

Mid-August primary isn't really late.

But before you retake it you really need to figure out why you choked so bad. What practice tests were you taking? Were they comparable to the real thing? Did you just panic?

If you apply to all your schools with the 26N, you're probably going to have a rough time securing admission. If you apply to one school and indicate you're going to re-take, AMCAS verifies and then holds the app until your new scores come in. Assuming you make a significant (3 points or more) improvement, I'd say you still stand a decent shot. In August, maybe 1/3 to 1/2 of the applicant pool will have their secondaries/letters in and be complete before you.

I'd retake and wait, but that's just me.

-z
I thought AMCAS verifies and then sends your application to all the schools listed. The schools then put your application on hold till your new scores come in, right? I thought this was how it went . . . . :confused:

I thought AMCAS will verifies and then sends your application to all the schools listed. The schools then put your application on hold till your new scores come in, right? I thought this was how it went . . . . :confused:

Right. I'm ******ed, and don't know how to express my thoughts today. Corrected above. Thanks.

I thought AMCAS will verifies and then sends your application to all the schools listed. The schools then put your application on hold till your new scores come in, right? I thought this was how it went . . . . :confused:

Yes, you can tell each school that you'll be retaking and to hold your app until your new scores come in. It is not risky to submit to all schools now in terms of judgment, it's risky because the new scores may not be any better than the old scores.

Yes, you can tell each school that you'll be retaking and to hold your app until your new scores come in. It is not risky to submit to all schools now in terms of judgment, it's risky because the new scores may not be any better than the old scores.

That's a judgment, isn't it? :laugh:

And as alwaysaangel said above, those schools may consider the OP to have applied, regardless of whether they complete the secondary. So if OP scores poorly the second time and is rejected or withdraws, s/he would be considered a reapplicant!

-z

Right. I'm ******ed, and don't know how to express my thoughts today. Corrected above. Thanks.

You're not ******ed :D

I'm in the same situation with an old MCAT score . . . retaking in July also. I'm going to submit my AMCAS in June and hope for the best!