Post-NAPLEX Depression

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Prepharm1214

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I just finished my NAPLEX a few hours ago, and feeling absolutely miserable. The entire test adaptive feature played with my head and chemo, HIV, anti-seizure drugs seemed to be a bulk of my test, all of which I felt were my weaker subjects.

The test adaptive feature made me question my ability, for instance I heard from many others that math were largely fill in the blank, mine for some reason were mostly multiple choice. Also ~12 questions only had 4 MC responses rather then the traditional 5 which of course made me think I was doing bad.

The RxPrep book is not enough for math, it doesn't even strike the surface of what I saw on the test. I probably had 20 math questions and only felt comfortable with 6-7...

Furthermore I ran out of time on the last question which makes me incur some sort of penalty...Anyway mostly just needed a place to vent, I do not feel confident at all I passed, and despite most people saying that I really really feel that way. Out of the 185 questions I for sure felt I knew only about 50-60...

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Also wanted to add that I took the Prenaplex twice...scoring 75 the first time and 105 the second. After both of the attempts considerable more studying was done also. I felt as though I knew the RxPrep book very very well but the Naplex asked either extremely easy questions that were answered without any studying or completely off the wall stuff I wouldn't expect anyone to know. Hoping by some miracle I passed.

I think pretty much everyone feels this way after they take the naplex! Maybe try to stay busy and do something fun for a few days until you get your score. Then if you didn't pass, you can take some time off to wallow or whatever. No sense in worrying about it now (I know, way easier said than done right?).

Also wanted to add that I took the Prenaplex twice...scoring 75 the first time and 105 the second. After both of the attempts considerable more studying was done also. I felt as though I knew the RxPrep book very very well but the Naplex asked either extremely easy questions that were answered without any studying or completely off the wall stuff I wouldn't expect anyone to know. Hoping by some miracle I passed.

It always feels this way. That exam is such a mystery that after all these worries, you surprisingly pass!! I only knew a colleague that failed-prolly 'cos for some reason he rushed through the exam getting out like couple hours early and thot he did very well..sadly to say, he didnt pass..But try getting a head start on the MPJE if you havent taken it already..Goodluck

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Dont worry. I took it the same day you did and it was the exact same test. A lot of random questions about anti-epi's, HIV, random OTC stuff. Its encouraging that atleast the test was uniform for you and me.

I just got out and I'm feeling so depressed too! I had so many math questions (the almost exact same one twice) and they were all open ended.

I finished about 30 minutes early, and now I'm thinking I was rushing through too fast. The questions were just so random. Towards the end they started to get a little easier, which makes me even more worried.

I had so many "click if they apply" questions. Those are so hard! I know I missed stuff on those, now I'm concerned about the scoring system.

Everyone I talked to said there was a lot of HIV and cancer, and I only saw about 5 HIV ?'s and 10 cancer.... so it makes me worried that they were giving me easier questions...

AHHHHH sorry for the rant, I just have no idea what to think. The wait for scores is gonna be unbearable! :eek::eek::eek:

I just finished too. Oh boy, the exam was surely a brain-twisting one, giving me such a post-NAPLEX headache....

Overall, I don't really know what to say.... My test covered pretty much everything. No, it didn't focus on HIV & Oncology ( I think I had like <10 questions of them combined). I had A LOT of patient profiles on various topics from ID, HTN, CHF, DM, Anticoag, Psych, Seizures to weirder ones like skin conditions, glaucoma, IBS, etc. Had some questions that I figured unless you had a Critical Care or Pediatric rotation you wouldn't know. Had a few brand names identification. And sure is a lot of math. I had at least 5-7 TPNs, countless mEq, mmoles. Had a particular opoid conversion without a chart (!), a whole bunch of statistics, and even clicking on a diagram question. The worst ones were probably staging and definition of rare disease states/syndromes and IV compatibility or things that no way on earth I would figure out if I didn't have Trissel's or a drug reference book right next to me.

I think I may have the "easier" set of questions given the amount of questions asked for easier disease states (HTN, CHF, DM, etc.), but still some of those questions were very random and difficult. Nit-picking details of counseling tips or storage requirements that the only way you would know is by looking them up on Lexi-Comp!

Oh man, I just hope I passed! :(

Last edited:
I'm in the same boat as you guys or probably worse. I left 4 questions unanswered and I know there's heavy penalty for incomplete test. I feel more like a huge panic than anything. I have been asking around if anyone knows people who didn't finish the test like me and passed.

Thanks, Prepharm1214! I read the blueprints of NAPLEX which consisits of 35% of math and you need at least 60% on this portion to pass. I screwed up pretty badly on the last 15 math questions, I'm just praying I get 75 to pass or I'll lose my job because I only have one chance. I came across an article on how they grade the NAPLEX and I wish I had read it before the exam. I hope all of us here will pass.

Where did you find that statement about need 60% on the math to pass, I can't find that anywhere. Also the math section was only about 20 questions on my test or ~11% of the total test.

There's a blueprint on the NABP website. Before 2005, there were 5 portions on the exam, after, they reduced it to 3. 35% is math. Each portion is graded as 100%, then they are graded on a curved combined, you need at least 60% on each portion in order to pass.
I hope there are passing scores out there with incomplete test.

Could you post the direct quote for me, I still cannot find that statement. The test was reformatted in 2010 and I'm not sure that is still relevant.

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't quite understand the whole grading system either. I came across several articles when I searched for the scoring system of NAPLEX. That was how I got out of it when I went through them. I can't quote the exact things I read. If you google: How is naplex graded, it will come up including the blueprints of naplex

Hello. My score posted today for the NAPLEX taken this last thursday. I passed. Upon leaving, I really felt like I bombed it but it turned out I did well on it. Good Luck!

Hello. My score posted today for the NAPLEX taken this last thursday. I passed. Upon leaving, I really felt like I bombed it but it turned out I did well on it. Good Luck!
Congratulations! I bet it feels great to have that beast behind you!

Sat the exam on 6/22, I am very worried of the score, the exam was really tough but I also made a few stupid mistakes, there was a ton of stats, TPN,millimoles, milliequiv, narcotic equivalency conversion, and bioavalilability questions and lots of patient profiles, it is truly mind twisting, I am in serious mental depression.

Sat the exam on 6/22, I am very worried of the score, the exam was really tough but I also made a few stupid mistakes, there was a ton of stats, TPN,millimoles, milliequiv, narcotic equivalency conversion, and bioavalilability questions and lots of patient profiles, it is truly mind twisting, I am in serious mental depression.

Sounds like you have very similar set of questions to me....aahhh, I'm waiting for the exam result too. It won't be posted online until tomorrow, but I just can't keep myself from checking NABP site for no reason right now....

Hi ALL4rx.
Tomorrow is not too far, just hang on, for me things are different as I am in California, while you will be able to get your results this coming day , I will have to wait maybe another 10 or so days for the board of california to mail the scores to me. I think this sucks, anyway I wish you all the best tomorrow, let me if you do well as it seems we shared the same exam, good luck.

Woo ooh, just got my score from NABP. I passed NAPLEX with a score of 121 !!!

Honestly, didn't think I did that well :) .... Turned out my Pre-NAPLEX both times (133 & 121) predicted the true NAPLEX score very well, so highly recommend you guys to take it ;) In terms of studying material, I must say RxPrep is truly awesome prep book. I used RxPrep mostly, tried the question bank of APhA (didn't think it was very good), did 120 SDN calculation questions (great review too!). I studied hardcore like about 2 weeks prior to the test, but like I said, the exam is designed to test your knowledge throughout 4 years of pharmacy school and experience during rotations. No matter how much time you study, you still feel like an idiot after the exam :)

Good luck for everyone is still waiting out there!

Last edited:
OMG all4rx, I got a 121 too! That must be the magic number. I didn't think I did well either. That test was soooo random! Congratulations!!!

Congratulations all4rx, you have made it, you must be feeling really good, yeah, that is in order to know the Naplex monster is now behind you. I am really nervous about my score yet I have to wait forever before the California state board mails me the scores, darn, why cant they allow candidates in California to access scores online like everybody else?. I hope finally I will join the celebration party.

I just found out that I passed today too!! I took the exam Friday and it was a grueling weekend waiting for the results. Reading your stories all weekend definitely made me feel better knowing that there were other people in the same boat. I too thought the exam was super random, and I was pretty sure I failed upon leaving. I got sooo incredibly nervous when I saw the the same type of questions coming back to haunt me. If there is any advice I can offer to anyone out there is to definitely try to stay calm during the exam. I was pretty nervous during the exam, and I know this affected the way I performed. Anyhow, I passed with a 113. Pre-naplex 1 week before was a 116. So glad it's done!! Now I can focus on multiple MPJEs.

Good luck to everyone still waiting for results!!

Scared from reading all these stories .. So what is the minimum score we need to have to pass the NAPLEX? Thanks

Nobody seems very certain how this exam is graded, but the passing score is 75 on a scaled score ranging from 0 to 150,they say this is not a percentage mark but a scaled score, whatever that means.

Last edited:
Oh so is it 75? I thought its 75% of 150? Thanks DesiRX

Please do some research by at least reading the NAPLEX blueprint on NABP website or the first few pages in RxPrep or APhA! It will save you a heart attack or a mental breakdown later on when you actually take the exam.

Wow that was a hard test. Even had questions on diseases that I either haven't heard of (Raynaud's) or maybe heard it once in passing (Lennox-Gestault). Hopefully it'll be OK.

Wow that was a hard test. Even had questions on diseases that I either haven't heard of (Raynaud's) or maybe heard it once in passing (Lennox-Gestault). Hopefully it'll be OK.

I had similar questions :-D. Did you also have to calculate CrCl a lot haha?

Do ya'll recall on your CrCl questions if you used IBW mostly, or used actual & adj. BW also (depending on the patient)? Do the questions state what it wants you to use?

I had similar questions :-D. Did you also have to calculate CrCl a lot haha?

No I actually didn't have a single question where I had to do that. Maybe I did have 1 or 2 but didn't think of calculating it...Hopefully I didn't fail the test because of that.

My buddies all finished the 2 exams either on the same day as me or the day before and their status online has been updated to pharmacist as of today. Mine has not yet...should that worry me??

I don't know yet...they took them one day before me and according to the Ohio Board website they are all documented pharmacists...I don't know if these are reported as a first come first serve type thing but if so I am a little freaked out.

Do ya'll recall on your CrCl questions if you used IBW mostly, or used actual & adj. BW also (depending on the patient)? Do the questions state what it wants you to use?

I used actual unless they told me to use ideal. Most of the time I used actual, though. Didn't have to use adjusted at all.

You'll notice that the nabp made the math fair. Most of the time the ideal weight is very close to the actual weight.