Post-Naplex: What % of your questions were you confident answering?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AlbusChutney

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I took the Naplex Saturday. I'm hoping that my results will somehow go up on Tuesday, but I'm fully expecting Wednesday or Thursday realistically.

Man, that test was HARD! I thought I was prepared, but it felt like the entire test was a curve ball to be honest. Lots of ID/HIV/Oncology/Immunizations on mine. Very few questions from the bigger chapters, and a ton of questions on natural medications. Many questions I tried to look up afterwards in the RXPrep book, and couldn't even find. I still think that RXPrep is definitely the best resource to study, nonetheless.

I honestly feel like I only can say that I confidently answered around 45% correctly with 35% being somewhat educated guesses, and 20% being completely clueless on. How did you all feel after your exam? Super nervous that I screwed up big time ):

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
That sucks. Honestly, it blows. It does sound like you know exactly what went wrong, though. So you should be able to come back from this without a problem. Keep your head up high. All this says about you is that you did not pass the test and it say nothing about your ability to be a competent and knowledgeable pharmacist. Best of luck!

AGREE.. it happens to the best!!! GOOD LUCK!!!!

Took NAPLEX this week and guessing rate was about 50%
Good thing was I had lots of calculation questions which is easy point
BTW, my pre-NAPLEX score was 60 (one week before the NAPLEX)
Soooooo worried

Members don't see this ad :)
Didn't count but at least 30 questions including insulin dose calculation

It won't be a 137 if you care about that. Typically if you get >25 you are looking at a score in the 90s or 80s. It's hard to say. If you get that many calculations it probably means that you did miss some. If you are certain that all your calculations are correct, then you're fine. Truth is most people pass.

Were you "guessing" guessing or were you narrowing it down to two choices and then made an educated guess? I doubt you were just throwing darts at the screen. You likely passed. When people get more than 45 calculations then you're looking at a good chance of failing.

It won't be a 137 if you care about that. Typically if you get >25 you are looking at a score in the 90s or 80s. It's hard to say. If you get that many calculations it probably means that you did miss some. If you are certain that all your calculations are correct, then you're fine. Truth is most people pass.

Were you "guessing" guessing or were you narrowing it down to two choices and then made an educated guess? I doubt you were just throwing darts at the screen. You likely passed. When people get more than 45 calculations then you're looking at a good chance of failing.

I got a message yesterday from other state regarding MPJE approval. (applied via NAPLEX score tranfer)
Since my primary state is California, I cannot check my score online.
NABP also transfer failed score too? or is this a meaning of passing??
MPJE can be approved with failed NAPLEX score? I don't know

The guessing % is mostly educated guess (40%) + intuition(8%) + darts(2%)

I got a message yesterday from other state regarding MPJE approval. (applied via NAPLEX score tranfer)

Some claim that seeing a link allowing you transfer your score is an indication of passing. I do not know. However, the claim makes sense. To answer your second question, yes, plenty of people fail the Naplex and then take the MPJE. They're independent of each other.

Yeah, I figured. When people say they guessed it means they logically got to two choices and their knowledge stopped there and chose one of the two. You should be fine. Again, I do not know how you reviewed or if you reviewed, at all. But to me, you likely passed.

To your previous post about your pre-Naplex, the two exams are not comparable. One is adaptive and the other one is not. Even if you were to end up with a 95 on both exams, that does not mean that the pre-Naplex is predictive of your score. Now, if the 60 on your pre-Naplex freaked you out like my 67 pre-Naplex score did, and if it drove you to study like crazy, then you're likely fine. That was what happened to me and I ended up with a 107 on the actual Naplex. I did not leave thinking I had failed. I got home and tallied them and was pretty sure I had passed.

I took my exam today and thought I did pretty well. I hope that is a good sign. I did receive a ...ID/OnC/HIV/biostats. For math I would say I got anywhere from 20-25 questions including corrected calcium questions and bsa questions. Meq and crcl with using ibw. I really hope I entered all my math correctly. I did double check, but I guess we will see. :(

I took the Naplex Saturday. I'm hoping that my results will somehow go up on Tuesday, but I'm fully expecting Wednesday or Thursday realistically.

Man, that test was HARD! I thought I was prepared, but it felt like the entire test was a curve ball to be honest. Lots of ID/HIV/Oncology/Immunizations on mine. Very few questions from the bigger chapters, and a ton of questions on natural medications. Many questions I tried to look up afterwards in the RXPrep book, and couldn't even find. I still think that RXPrep is definitely the best resource to study, nonetheless.

I honestly feel like I only can say that I confidently answered around 45% correctly with 35% being somewhat educated guesses, and 20% being completely clueless on. How did you all feel after your exam? Super nervous that I screwed up big time ):
15%

Same here. Also I hate that math has those type in options. I'm always worried I'll enter it wrong and miss it.
I took my exam today and thought I did pretty well. I hope that is a good sign. I did receive a ...ID/OnC/HIV/biostats. For math I would say I got anywhere from 20-25 questions including corrected calcium questions and bsa questions. Meq and crcl with using ibw. I really hope I entered all my math correctly. I did double check, but I guess we will see. :(
r

My state is like yours. I also have the option to transfer while my exam status still says "att generated." part of me wonders that maybe this option applies to all situations as a way to possibly get additional money. But I'm cynical like that.

This is good news.... The math for me mostly came 1 at a time, interrupted by other questions (save for a few bio stats questions towards the end, which I realized afterwards that I had answered incorrectly); on the other hand, i'm not sure if this is supposed to be this way, but for the questions involving patient cases, I would get a bunch of questions on the same patient case, though not necessarily concerning the same subject matter.
Same here. Took it last week.

@hye345

I would say you passed and that is of course, under the assumption that you were confident in all your math answers. That would explain why you got them all at once. It's not hard to figure out when you've answered a question incorrectly on the NAPLEX. It always comes back a few questions later.

The format you described is pretty much the format most people experience. You get patient profile that is complex enough to lend itself to questions that cover several topics. It is not a bad sign when that happens. Imagine having to read 185 profiles. That would be very draining.

A good friend of mine had well over 30 math questions and got a 98. Scores do not matter. My point here is that she was freaking out but at the end of the day, she did just fine. You will, too. Statistically, the majority of people do.

@hye345

I would say you passed and that is of course, under the assumption that you were confident in all your math answers. That would explain why you got them all at once. It's not hard to figure out when you've answered a question incorrectly on the NAPLEX. It always comes back a few questions later.

The format you described is pretty much the format most people experience. You get patient profile that is complex enough to lend itself to questions that cover several topics. It is not a bad sign when that happens. Imagine having to read 185 profiles. That would be very draining.

A good friend of mine had well over 30 math questions and got a 98. Scores do not matter. My point here is that she was freaking out but at the end of the day, she did just fine. You will, too. Statistically, the majority of people do.
Hi,

You comment about a question with an incorrect answer leading to a repeat of the question must be correct. However, if you realized the mistake you made the first time...and chose the correct answer the "repeat" time, how badly does that affect your score?

Thanks!

-kcufpharm

How many calculations did you have?
If math questions types repeat, does this mean you don't know the topic? This didn't happen often, but I got a few TPN types. It wasn't the exact same question though. Jsut a variation - I think to test whether I paid attention to time being asked about and amount received.

If math questions types repeat, does this mean you don't know the topic? This didn't happen often, but I got a few TPN types. It wasn't the exact same question though. Jsut a variation - I think to test whether I paid attention to time being asked about and amount received.

I would say that it depends. Usually when you miss something, it can go in several ways For example: You get a TPN scenario asking to calculate how many total calories a TPN provides. It's a fill in the answer type of question. For this you have to calculate protein, carbs and fat calories. You get it wrong and the next question (or a few questions later) will probably have the same scenario and similar numbers and may ask you to select the total calories provided by the TPN from 5 options. That's usually a sign you missed it. If you miss that second chance, then the adaptive system based on your answer may try to figure out which one of the 3 calorie sources you messed up with and may ask you to calculate each one or the one that you likely messed up on. After that 3 time, it should stop and move on. These are all hypotheticals and I am speculating about how the adaptive system may establish your level of ability. I don't work for NABP, though. I just know that the adaptive system did that on mine.

The registration bulletin says that every question has a set level of ability and the same goes for answer choices. For laughs, let's say this is a scenario. (Note: I made this up.)
Mr. Jones has congestive heart failure and the physician noted pulmonary edema. *The patient is experiencing serious decompensation. The patient is not taking any medications for CHF. The physician asks you the best course of action. For laughs, let's say these are your options: *Don't know if guidelines have changed. So for all purposes let's pretend that e. is the best course of action.

You recommend:

a. Osmitrol to clear the pulmonary edema. (Level of ability: Clueless. Osmitrol is mannitol. The name gives away it is an osmotic diuretic and as you know, it worsens pulmonary edema.)
b. Inspra instead of Aldactone to clear the pulmonary edema because patient is male.(Level of ability: Low. Inspra won't do much but at least you chose a diuretic.)
c. A combination of Microzide and Inspra. (Level of ability: medium. The patient should be on an ACE inhibitor, thiazide and a potassium sparing diurect long term. So you got really close to the best answer.)
d. immediate oral administration of Lasix to clear the pulmonary edema and strongly advise initiating a combination of Zestril, Microzide and Inspra for long term management of congestive hear failure. (Level of ability: medium-high. This is STILL not the best answer, though. It's a serious case of decompensation and administration should be IV and you did not provide oral Lasix as needed to manage fluid retention once discharged)
e. immediate intravenous administration and careful titration of Bumex and strongly advise initiating a combination of Zestril, Microzide and Inspra for long term management of congestive heart failure and Lasix as needed to manage edema. (Level of ability: High. Clearly, the best answer. Bumex is very potent and should be titrated carefully. You covered all your bases with those 4 discharge meds.)

So let's say the question is set for a high level of ability. And you chose e., which shows a high level of ability. So then the system likely computes the level of ability of the question AND your answer. In other words, did you only show a high level of ability on questions that were easy? That's a failing score right there. It averages them out.
The system also has to account for the number of questions that are remaining. For example, you show a medium-high to high level of ability up to question 110. So it still has to throw at you another 75 questions.
Let's assume 35 of those are experimental because you have not gotten any yet and 40 questions that will count. So basically, you have already passed the Naplex but still have to finish the test. So you can expect a mix of 35 very hard questions that are experimental and 30 rather easy questions that will count. The system has to make your last 40 questions that count very easy because you've earned more than enough points to pass.
So for laughs, let's assume the level of ability you've shown on those 110 questions you've answered, has earned you a 130 scaled score and you have not even finished the test. The system has to distribute "20 scaled points" among 40 questions. It has no other choice but to give you easy questions.

Again, I am sure the algorithm is way more complex than that but to me, it makes sense that my speculation applies to some level. All the best to you and let us know how you did.

Best,

Apotheker2015

Reactions: 2 users
I would say that it depends. Usually when you miss something, it can go in several ways For example: You get a TPN scenario asking to calculate how many total calories a TPN provides. It's a fill in the answer type of question. For this you have to calculate protein, carbs and fat calories. You get it wrong and the next question (or a few questions later) will probably have the same scenario and similar numbers and may ask you to select the total calories provided by the TPN from 5 options. That's usually a sign you missed it. If you miss that second chance, then the adaptive system based on your answer may try to figure out which one of the 3 calorie sources you messed up with and may ask you to calculate each one or the one that you likely messed up on. After that 3 time, it should stop and move on. These are all hypotheticals and I am speculating about how the adaptive system may establish your level of ability. I don't work for NABP, though. I just know that the adaptive system did that on mine.

The registration bulletin says that every question has a set level of ability and the same goes for answer choices. For laughs, let's say this is a scenario. (Note: I made this up.)
Mr. Jones has congestive heart failure and the physician noted pulmonary edema. *The patient is experiencing serious decompensation. The patient is not taking any medications for CHF. The physician asks you the best course of action. For laughs, let's say these are your options: *Don't know if guidelines have changed. So for all purposes let's pretend that e. is the best course of action.

You recommend:

a. Osmitrol to clear the pulmonary edema. (Level of ability: Clueless. Osmitrol is mannitol. The name gives away it is an osmotic diuretic and as you know, it worsens pulmonary edema.)
b. Inspra instead of Aldactone to clear the pulmonary edema because patient is male.(Level of ability: Low. Inspra won't do much but at least you chose a diuretic.)
c. A combination of Microzide and Inspra. (Level of ability: medium. The patient should be on an ACE inhibitor, thiazide and a potassium sparing diurect long term. So you got really close to the best answer.)
d. immediate oral administration of Lasix to clear the pulmonary edema and strongly advise initiating a combination of Zestril, Microzide and Inspra for long term management of congestive hear failure. (Level of ability: medium-high. This is STILL not the best answer, though. It's a serious case of decompensation and administration should be IV and you did not provide oral Lasix as needed to manage fluid retention once discharged)
e. immediate intravenous administration and careful titration of Bumex and strongly advise initiating a combination of Zestril, Microzide and Inspra for long term management of congestive heart failure and Lasix as needed to manage edema. (Level of ability: High. Clearly, the best answer. Bumex is very potent and should be titrated carefully. You covered all your bases with those 4 discharge meds.)

So let's say the question is set for a high level of ability. And you chose e., which shows a high level of ability. So then the system likely computes the level of ability of the question AND your answer. In other words, did you only show a high level of ability on questions that were easy? That's a failing score right there. It averages them out.
The system also has to account for the number of questions that are remaining. For example, you show a medium-high to high level of ability up to question 110. So it still has to throw at you another 75 questions.
Let's assume 35 of those are experimental because you have not gotten any yet and 40 questions that will count. So basically, you have already passed the Naplex but still have to finish the test. So you can expect a mix of 35 very hard questions that are experimental and 30 rather easy questions that will count. The system has to make your last 40 questions that count very easy because you've earned more than enough points to pass.
So for laughs, let's assume the level of ability you've shown on those 110 questions you've answered, has earned you a 130 scaled score and you have not even finished the test. The system has to distribute "20 scaled points" among 40 questions. It has no other choice but to give you easy questions.

Again, I am sure the algorithm is way more complex than that but to me, it makes sense that my speculation applies to some level. All the best to you and let us know how you did.

Best,

Apotheker2015

Hi Apotheker2015,

I think you SHOULD work for NABP lol. Thank you so much for that explanation and for putting that much effort into your response. It made perfect sense. I, personally, am glad it's changing to a linear format because this adaptive thing is messed up. A test should be just that ....a test. A mix of hard, medium, and easy difficulty questions with the possibility to get any of them right/wrong. I don't like that a possible weakness and/or poor luck can lead to one being deemed as having a "low level of ability" because - in the system's opinion - it was a "low ability" question. Everyone is different and everyone has strengths and weaknesses.

One more question - a very brief response will suffice lol. Do you think length of time it takes you to solve a certain question plays a role in anything? For example, I spent around 15 minutes on a fairly easy question because I freaked out and second guessed the formula (BSA.) I wound up going with the right method in the end, but do you think me "spending that much time" on a relatively easy question factored against me? In this case, I would have lost many points due to time, because I tried to double check as much as I could.

Thanks!!!!!

Hi Apotheker2015,

I think you SHOULD work for NABP lol. Thank you so much for that explanation and for putting that much effort into your response. It made perfect sense. I, personally, am glad it's changing to a linear format because this adaptive thing is messed up. A test should be just that ....a test. A mix of hard, medium, and easy difficulty questions with the possibility to get any of them right/wrong. I don't like that a possible weakness and/or poor luck can lead to one being deemed as having a "low level of ability" because - in the system's opinion - it was a "low ability" question. Everyone is different and everyone has strengths and weaknesses.

One more question - a very brief response will suffice lol. Do you think length of time it takes you to solve a certain question plays a role in anything? For example, I spent around 15 minutes on a fairly easy question because I freaked out and second guessed the formula (BSA.) I wound up going with the right method in the end, but do you think me "spending that much time" on a relatively easy question factored against me? In this case, I would have lost many points due to time, because I tried to double check as much as I could.

Thanks!!!!!

Haha, maybe I will send them a resume sometime. I would speculate that there is no expected time to answer a question. I saw no indication of that on the registration bulletin. I would say that the only way that would hurt you is if you are not able to finish the exam.

Let us know how it goes!

Best,

Apotheker2015