Post-Navy veteran needing info on pharmacy

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Aircraftnoise

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I recently got out of the Navy and scored the GI Bill to help fund my way through college. Im currently a 24 year old student at a local JC racking up pre-pharmacy credit for transfer to UW Seattle School of Pharmacy.I have a few questions for you pharmacy goons out there:

Whats the admissions process like? I heard its very competitive. Does being a CPhT help?

Is it worth it to go to school doubletime just to get CPhT before pharm school?

Whats it like when your an actual student? What do you like/hate about it?

Would you say that 24 is too old to go into pharmacy?

Is 6 years a realistic goal to achieve PharmD?

How expensive is this whole process and how do you as a student make money?

Ive heard that CVS/Walgreens etc offer some kind of scholorship for pharmD, any truth to this?

What are some good pharmacy schools in the US?

Thanks in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

I recently got out of the Navy and scored the GI Bill to help fund my way through college. Im currently a 24 year old student at a local JC racking up pre-pharmacy credit for transfer to UW Seattle School of Pharmacy.I have a few questions for you pharmacy goons out there:

Whats the admissions process like? I heard its very competitive. Does being a CPhT help?

Ive heard that CVS/Walgreens etc offer some kind of scholorship for pharmD, any truth to this?

Thanks in advance.

I won't have as good of an answer as some of the other members here might, but I'd like to contribute what I do know.

I'm currently 24 and looking at the age distribution of those in the pharm.d programs, you're certainly not old at all. Getting CPhT is nice... but it isn't the end all of things. I would say getting pharmacy experience is much better and if you work for a place like CVS, they will pay for your PTCB testing after 6 months of employment.

My simple advice would be to get the best grades you can, gain some pharmacy experience (and some spending change) at your local retail pharmacy and spend your free time on some community service and on things you enjoy. :thumbup:

best of luck to you.

I did my 5 as a QM2(SW) about 5 years ago and started at 28y/o. They require a four year degree (unofficially) out here. Being a tech will help and a recommendation from a pharmacist may help.

With the Navy thing I wouldn't just bank on that. Use your turning two towards grades and try to join school clubs and help with the community so you won't only speak of military experience at the interview.

With the GI bill if you go half time during undergrad you may not want to use it for that semester. I didn't know this but they actually let you apply it towards the PharmD program (you may want to verify with yours).

If you have any more questions give me a pm.

Members don't see this ad :)
Aircraftnoise;7699904]I recently got out of the Navy and scored the GI Bill to help fund my way through college. Im currently a 24 year old student at a local JC racking up pre-pharmacy credit for transfer to UW Seattle School of Pharmacy.I have a few questions for you pharmacy goons out there:

Many schools use PharmCAS as their centralized application. Go to www.pharmcas.org to check it out. Beside PharmCAS, they have supplemental applications that you also have to fill out. Some schools require PCAT as well.

Well, I would say focus on getting good grades on your pre-req and PCAT. It might help being a CPhT, but in the end, your grades and pharmacy experience matter most. You can get that experience by volunteering.

You mean actual student in Pharmacy school? I'll let you know when I know ...LOL :laugh:
As for an undergraduate like me:
Like: free money from financial aid :smuggrin:, get to meet interesting people, some classes are every cool, etc
Hate: no life:rolleyes:, wake up-school-work-homework: the cycle never stops
Not at all, I've seen people who are in their 40s in Pharmacy school

Totally...if you work hard

Depends on how many school you apply. For one school:
PharmCAS application fees: ~$200

Supplemental app fees: depends on the school, but range $25 - $70. For UW, I think it's $45
PCAT: $125
Postage lol:laugh:, suit for interview :cool: etc. etc etc

I think you have to work for them after you graduate for a certain number of years to get that kind of scholarship...not sure thou

UW is definitely a good one, but I would apply to more than 1 to increase your chance. Mercer (Georgia), U of Colorado, Shenandoah (Virginia), are some good ones. There are many more. Do a lit research in this forum, you'll find them

Thanks in advance.
The whole process is a pain. Good luck!!! :luck:

Whats the admissions process like? I heard its very competitive. Does being a CPhT help? It's not as competitive as one would think. A CPhT helps minimally if at all.

Is it worth it to go to school doubletime just to get CPhT before pharm school? Work experience is great, but focus on your pre-pharm studies.

Whats it like when your an actual student? In pre-pharm or grad school? Grad school is great...a lot to do but that's why your classmates are there... to go have fun with when its over for the week. What do you like/hate about it? I like almost everything, except for the fact that some of the stuff we learn is absolutely useless in practice. I have a feeling that there is a lot of things the AACP requires for accreditation that if it weren't there would save us all a lot of time.

Would you say that 24 is too old to go into pharmacy? Absolutely not. I'm one of the younger guys in my class...but I don't have nearly the amount of appendages I'd need to count all of the 25+ yo's I know in pharmacy school.

Is 6 years a realistic goal to achieve PharmD? If you really focus on your studies, it's possible. College isn't half bad, so if you do 7, who cares?

How expensive is this whole process and how do you as a student make money? Depends on where you go to school. Work as a tech somewhere in undergrad, work as an intern somewhere in grad school.

Ive heard that CVS/Walgreens etc offer some kind of scholorship for pharmD, any truth to this? Don't know, I have an aversion to retail pharmacy.

What are some good pharmacy schools in the US? PM me.

Thanks in advance.

I think being certified made me more competitive. Both of my interviews so far have mentioned it; I think being certified (especially in an area where it's not legally required) shows that you're definitely interested in pharmacy. They've also focused in on my Navy time (I was a nuke), but I make sure to mention my volunteer work, the school organizations I belonged to, and my community involvement.

I'm not sure what you mean? I studied for the PTCB on my own, and took the test without taking any classes or going to school to study for the test. I didn't get my certification until after I graduated with my B.S. though, school came first.

It's different being a returning student. I'm older than most, so there was an age gap between me and most of my classmates. I was certainly more motivated as an older student than I was straight out of high school. I liked being more focused about my career goals. I disliked having to do assigned group projects with people who cared more about their social life than our grade. I wanted my 'A' darnit. :p

Nope, I was older than that when I got out of the Navy and went back to school.

Depends on your situation, but if you buckle down and do well, sure.

I went to a private school (I already had my associates) and it was pricey. My GI Bill is almost gone and I still had to take out some loans. I work part time as a tech, and thankfully my husband is very understanding about dropping $600 on books for a semester. My last year was rough, I was in class from 8-5:30 every day counting labs. The homework never seemed to end, and I didn't sleep much. Great preparation for pharmacy school. :laugh:

This year I've spent over $1000 for PharmCas, application fees, hotels, travel, etc... I've only applied to schools that I can drive to easily though.

Not sure, I work for one of their competitors.

Congrats. I got out in 2006. PC3(SW). i agree with everyone about getting experience. I have about 3 years of experience now. alot that is on the PTCB deals with retail. Retail sucks. but its the easiest to get in and quickest way to get experience. start learning drugs since there is alot.

I have no Navy or Military experience, but I did volunteer for the Air Force base. They are always looking for volunteers for their pharmacy. Perhaps you can volunteer for the base in your area? I have no work experience at a pharmacy, and i still managed to get in somewhere. I don't think tech experience is imperative in scoring an interview. When it comes down to it, it your grades and your PCAT score are what's important. I think pharmacy experience helps in your interview in terms of what to talk about. It will certainly educate you more on the profession.