post one (1) helpful tip for people who will be applying....

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
If you haven't heard any conformation from a school that your app is complete, check on it with a friendly e-mail or phone call. It may seem like you're annoying them, but if your app isn't complete because they lost something, it's still your problem, not theirs.

Members don't see this ad.

:clap: :clap:
Very helpful thread for Fall 2005 applicants.
Thanks

Make copies of EVERYTHING you send out. Two reasons:

1. If it gets lost, it's easily resendable.
2. When you get invited for an interview, you can review what you wrote about!

Members don't see this ad :)
This thread is so useful for those of us who are going to apply in June.

keep cool during the process

check out schools before applying, and especially before interviewing. although it's practical to keep in mind numbers and how well you fit into a certain school's range, looking at other aspects of the school may help eliminate some of the undesireable ones. for example, if they have an all problem-based learning curriculum and you hate the small group thing, that school will probably be a major waste of your and their time.

and don't be afraid to be proactive about your application. chances are somebody's going to be more obnoxious than you are about calling the admissions office.

.............................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................

Originally posted by Kashue
.............................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................

You made the page formatted all weird.

Believe in yourself and be confident because if you dont believe in yourself, dont expect the adcoms to believe in you.

# :thumbup:

a) Send thank-you notes as a professional courtesy
b) Don't forget the people who have helped you along the way. (i.e. Letter writers, your family, significant other(s), religion, etc....) Being a great docor doesn't make you a great person!

Members don't see this ad :)
i have another one.

*Don't send a Letter of Intent to every school you apply to.

bump

also see absolutezero's post above--imo, secondaries are the keys to gaining an interview. Good primary + bad secondary = pre-interview hold leading to possible rejection!

good luck everyone

Only send your information in as soon as possible to schools you want to hear back from.

That means Take the MCAT in April (August if you absolutely have to), complete AMCAS in early june, complete and send your secondaries and application fees as soon as you find links to the secondary applications online, and have your letters of recommendation ready before the AMCAS deadline.

That way the April MCAT people will get August invites and the August MCAT people will get November invites... and you won't have to wait until August 31st of the following year to find out where (if) you're going to attend medical school.

While it may seem like a crapshoot to most, I assure you it's not a crapshoot to the adcoms. In fact, they are very specific about the type of candidates they persue so if you are invited to an interview you must fit their requirements.

Also, practicing for interviews and keeping abrest of current events issues are two different things. It is important that you know what is going on in the profession you are interested in but rehearsed answers are transparent and annoying. Besides, the most important information an interviewer can discern from the actual interview is your ability think rationally when stressed. Therefore, articulating yourself and your thought process superceed your ability to give a "good answer."

To hell with the numbering... I don't think it matters anymore.

a) Write a personal statement that touches on each one of your strengths and how each strength will tie into making you a good doctor (if you have patience, reflect on how that will help you as a physician, specfically). Also, try to sound like you have your future relatively mapped out.
Avoid words like "probably", "perhaps", "maybe", etc.. Schools usually don't want to hear that you have no idea what you want to do or that you're ambivalent; they want to see that you have at least some goals for the future. Even if you have no idea what speciality you want to do, make sure you include at least something.... for example: mention you want to go into a field like internal med or family practice because you love humanity or a field like psychiatry because the workings of the mind absolutely fascinate you. But remember, if you're going to say you have an interest in a particular specialty or two, make sure you have the extracurricular activities (shadowing a doctor in that field, pertinent research, internships) to back them up. It always helps to have plans, and remember you can always change your mind as soon as you get accepted!! :D

b) Study hard for the MCAT but do NOT let it stress you out. The MCAT is a terrible exam and most people will feel that way coming out of it. (I've effectively repressed it). As long as you score at least somewhere in the mid 20s, you should be on steady ground. Don't forget that the MCAT is only part of your application; you can always use the rest of your application to sell yourself.

c) Be sure to set up a mock interview with either the meanest, rudest, butthole-est professor on your college campus or the one who has had the most interview training. If you like to use "um, like, and uh" a lot, or you just like to fidget with your clothes, rub your nose, or scratch your neck, ask them to help you eliminate the nervous tics. The interview should be an enjoyable experience, not some arduous courtroom trial.

d) Make sure you can answer questions such as "Why do you want to become a doctor", "If you enjoy caring for people so much, why did you choose medicine instead of a more patient-care field like nursing" (most surprising question I've ever been asked), "Describe a meaningful volunteer/work experience", and "What will you do if you do not get accepted here?"

That last question caught me off guard at my interview, and I ended up saying "I'm impressed with this school and I really want to go here. If I don't get accepted, I'll just try again next year." My interviewer (a pediatric cardiovascular surgeon) said in response, "So you're just going to put all your eggs in one basket? That's what I did. Good for you." I about passed out. :D

Sorry for the length..

Best of luck to the 2008 applicant class.

The schedule they put us on at the UofC was super helpful and kept me sane in the end. This is my adaptation of their schedule.

December:
Decide on how you are going to study for the April MCAT - if you choose a prep course, register for that course, if you choose self study, buy your books/materials.

January:
Begin studying for the April MCAT

February:
Complete Draft of AMCAS Personal Statement
Register for April MCAT

March:
Request LORs
Last days to register for April MCAT

April:
Request transcipts to be sent to AMCAS / AACOM (Be sure to use their forms for letters so that they don't get lost.)
Take the April MCAT
Check to see which LORs have been sent in
Choose study method for August MCAT if applicable

May:
Begin filling out AMCAS / AACOM application
Check again to see which LORs have been sent in - put pressure on any recommenders who have not turned in letters
Begin studying for the August MCAT if applicable

June:
Finish AMCAS / AACOM application and submit

July:
Register for August MCAT if applicable

August:
Take the August MCAT if applicable

July - September:
Complete Secondary applications and send in LORs to schools that have requested them

September - March:
Interviews

UofC also has a great, albiet a bit outdated, handbook for premeds online:
http://pre-health.uchicago.edu/handbook/index.html

Avoid false advice given on SDN. It can cost you time and money.

As much as I love SDN...use it only when you need advice. Otherwise, you'll become an obsessive compulsive addict like me, jlee, exmike and the rest of the crew.

If you get an interview....please, please, please wear a suit if you are a guy. This isn't the time to show your individuality. I interviewed a guy who decided a suit was optional. Just remember that a) doctors are known to be a bit conservative b) nobody WANTS to wear a suit on interview day, but most people have the common sense to wear one anyway. Or if you don't be willing to accept the consequences of your actions.

my two cents:

don't ever lose hope, and realize that this probably will be the most humbling process you go through. good luck.

i've lost count of how many tips have been posted.... and i'm too lazy to count them.....

bump .....................

In the interview MAKE SURE TO SELL YOURSELF AS OPEN MINDED AND A TEAM PLAYER!

Everyone knows that schools look for maturity, intellect, compassion and a desire to go to their institution and medicine in particular, but I think that selling yourself as a LEADER while also being a TEAM PLAYER will bankroll you right into the school of your dreams.

I think this really hasn't been played up enough, and if you play it up, it should help a lot. I wish I had made a much bigger deal of this at some of my interviews, ESPECIALLY AT PBL SCHOOLS!!!

Good luck everyone!!!

JH

bump .....................

One very helpful tip:
IT DOES NOT MATTER WHERE YOU GO FOR MEDICAL SCHOOL TO GET A RESIDENCY IN CALIFORNIA. GO OUT OF STATE IF THAT'S WHERE YOU WANT TO GO. :luck:

1a. Dont listen to, and most likely do the opposite of, whatever BerkeleyPremed posts.

1b. Finish your applications as early in the cycle as possible, including secondaries. Ask yourself when choosing schools if you would be willing to a) write a 2 page essay for a secondary and b) whether you would be willing to fly to the school before putting it on AMCAS.

research the schools you are interested in and apply to schools you think you will be a good match with. think about how your learning style will fit with their curriculum, as in do you learn best on your own or in groups, do you thrive on competition or hate it, will letter grades motivate you or stress you out? this will help you eliminate schools you most likely won't get into or want to go to, and it will help you stand out in secondaries and interviews. it really helps to know why you want to go to a particular school beyond "my mom/friend/neighbor/professor/US News said it's a good school".

oh and one more...

keep your head up and try not to let your self-esteem get too caught up in this process. get ready for rejection and take it for what it's worth. when you get bad news remind yourself that just because they didn't see it doesn't mean it isn't there ("it" being whatever it is that makes you great and will make you a great doctor)

I think eventually the right school for you will choose you as much as you will choose the right school for you. That sounded like Confucious on crack but I'm serious.

Don't apply anywhere you wouldn't go even if that's the only medschool you get accepted into.

Don't believe people who tell you that - All medical schools are essentially the same because whereever you go you will learn the same material.
That's complete BS.
That's the same logic as saying - All men/women are essentially the same so it doesn't matter who you sleep with - they all have genitalia. :D

The interview: tell good anecdotes. Don't make general or idealistic statements unless you have a darn good personal story to back it up.

If you get an interview...

Pay the extra $10-30 bucks on a nicer hotel with a big comfy bed and a LOUD alarm clock.

Have Deep Pockets!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Listen to the advice emily gave.

And avoid talking about medicine if you can in interviews. You want to sell yourself as unique.

2 tips:
- Study hard for the MCAT.
- Don't slack off until you have been accepted to the school you really want to go to. Continue to work hard in classes, ECs, research, etc.

Every morning when you step out of the shower, step into your positive shell. Pull it up around you like a warm towel and zip it up. Look in the mirror and remind yourself that you are worthy and that the world (and the world of medicine) is a good place to be.

In short, train yourself EVERY DAY to think positive. For some of us this comes naturally. Others... you have to do something silly like ritually put on a "positive shell." Sounds dumb, but I do it every single morning, and my med school classmates can attest that I tend to be one of the most happy-go-lucky, positive people out there.

Not only will positivity affect how you come across in interviews, it will affect your outlook on the whole application process. Plus, it's just a great life attitude to have.

If you're engaged or married, and your partner's (academic or occupational) needs will limit your med school choices, tell your interviewers about your family situation! Schools want to help keep families together when possible.

this is just a bump

If you know you're taking a taxi to your school, be sure to mapquest the map for the driver just in case!

JohnHolmes said:
In the interview MAKE SURE TO SELL YOURSELF AS OPEN MINDED AND A TEAM PLAYER!

Everyone knows that schools look for maturity, intellect, compassion and a desire to go to their institution and medicine in particular, but I think that selling yourself as a LEADER while also being a TEAM PLAYER will bankroll you right into the school of your dreams.

I think this really hasn't been played up enough, and if you play it up, it should help a lot. I wish I had made a much bigger deal of this at some of my interviews, ESPECIALLY AT PBL SCHOOLS!!!

Good luck everyone!!!

JH

It's funny you mention open-minded cause at my UCSD interview, one of my interviewers specifically asked me the following:

"In any given situation, it might be a social situation, work, etc., would you alter your opinions about something so that you might be able to fit in better?"

My response:

"To be 100% honest with you, there's no way I'd ever change my opinions just to please other people. In fact, I'm probably the last guy that will ever change his opinion about something unless I feel there's a legitimate reason why I should."

I'm not sure whether that was the answer he was looking for but I got in so my answer couldn't have been that bad. If anything, he had to respect the fact that I wasn't giving him a watered down, politically correct response. In retrospect, I probably should have played it safer and not been so brutally honest about my personality but I had the mentality that I'm going to be myself and if they don't like who I am, F it!

be honest. be confident. be brave and corageous...dont be afraid to take risks. dont give up...be positive. write letters. keep in touch with your first choice. (turn in secondaries immediately). have a theme or short list of things that you want to convey to the committee (on paper, interview)...keep tieing things back to that theme or list of things. tell stories in your interview if you can. be very chill with your interviewer...speak to him/her like a friend or a date, not like you are making bs up. return all secondaries...dont reject yourself, apply to many places.