post one (1) helpful tip for people who will be applying....

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Super Rob said:
I'm not sure if the aforementioned interviewer intended for me to fall asleep. I don't think he caught me either. It was one of those things were I felt myself drifting off and then I kind of like gasped and woke up. He was talking really slowly, he had a really soft voice, and he was sort of going off on a tangent about something he wasn't too enthusiastic about... and I was running on three hours sleep and a McDonalds breakfast, which leads to my next tip: get plenty of sleep before your interviews and eat real food. A breakfast burito and yogurt won't keep you awake when you're up against Dr. V. Ray Borring. :)
A prof at my school is named Dr. Boring...LOL! He teaches Quantitative Analysis and General Chemistry so he remains true to his name!

Members don't see this ad.

My two cents:

Don't be afraid of the process. There are many ways to get through this. you don't have to take Kaplan (or whatever). You don't have to apply to 20 schools or more. You don't have to wear a black suit to an interview. Be yourself and make yourself happy in the application process. Have fun, meet new people.

:luck:

Members don't see this ad :)
emily69 said:
Don't believe people who tell you that - All medical schools are essentially the same because whereever you go you will learn the same material.
That's complete BS.
That's the same logic as saying - All men/women are essentially the same so it doesn't matter who you sleep with - they all have genitalia. :D

Darn now why did u have to bring this topic up ....... I will have to go and make some new girl friends to test your theory out ...... ha ha ha j/k ........ I needed this laugh.....

great post :D

After you write your personal statement and have someone you know read it, let a bunch of people you don't know very well read it.

Piece of advice. If you take the August MCAT seriously consider waiting until the next application cycle regardless of score. I was asked at 3 different schools why I waited a year (I took the August MCAT and scored a 35), and I simply responded that I wanted to have my application in early and not at the end. ALL THREE said they couldn't stress any more how wise that decision was.

For my fellow URMs:

1. African American and other URM applicants NEVER
give up and 1/2 of the things you read at SDN do
not apply to u.

2. Please don't start "what are my chances threads
here" you will be called a troll.

3. Always feel free to PM me and I will tell you how
the impossible can be made possible.

Thanks!

Keep one letter of recommendation that you don't give to your colleges "pre-med committee" or whom ever compiles all of you letter of recommendation, or keep on letter out of the application to schools. If you get the interview, or are waitlisted this will come in very handy. It is a hard decision on which letter you should save verses which to send. but know that everyone who sends in a committee letter or letter of recommendation all sound the same and make you look the same in the eyes of admission people.

Just stay ahead of the game.

APPLY AS EARLY AS POSSIBLE!

Members don't see this ad :)
Don't apply to too many "safety schools" If you're way above their gpa and mcat range then they'll just reject you anyways. It's a waste of money.

This post is great, wish I had read it when I was applying. Don't have anything new to add to the know yourself/apply early type of advice, but here are some administrative/organization things that helped make the process a lot easier for me:

- Many people are probably going to apply to 10+ schools. Something that helped me keep track of mail and sent apps was to get an accordian file. Make a copy of everything you mail to schools. Designate two slots for each school, one a "received mail" slot and the other a "sent" slot. That way you don't have to search your messy room for that brochure or app you think you sent; everything is in one place and won't fall out. I also had an "AMCAS/transcripts" slot.

- Make an Excel spreadsheet and include each school, their contact info (phone, add, e-mail, names of deans) for both admissions and financial aid, any deadlines, and yes/no checkboxes. It seems anal and tedious, but when you're filling out secondaries and need to know deadlines (even self-imposed ones) and where to send them, it's nice having all the info in one place. Then you just check off the boxes when you're through with one app and work on another until you're done. Also is really helpful for Financial Aid when you need their FAFSA numbers.

Wear sunscreen J/k modified bump

This is a great thread, especially since I'm applying this summer. Carry on

SUPER DUPER MEGA POWER TIP: during interviews, you want to separate yourself from any stereotype that your race, gender, stature, application, etc. have already boxed you in. you all are aware of how medical schools look for diversity and one-of-a-kindness. if you can pull off being your own person, then that sort of individuality adds tones of strength and charm and charisma to you.

for example. look at my avatar. you will see that i'm an asian male. i'm 5'6". i have glasses. i have ridiculously high numbers but only mediocre extracurriculars. i did not even have a shaved head when i interviewed. so really, i appeared to be just like all the other cookie-cutter asian-american applicants that every admissions committee has already seen.

so how in the f uck did i separate myself from the crowd?

1) i talked as little as possible about science, math, even medicine. i talked instead about unconventional music, my experiences with asking out pretty girls on dinner dates (i'm not kidding. this works well with older female interviewers. if done tactfully, if makes you very, very, very human), and an afro-brazilian art form called capoeira. i talked about movies, too. i talked about people that influenced me. and just when they think they start to have a handle on me, i talk about my heritage, my family, my grandfather, growing up as an asian male, etc. so you show them that you're not confined to your stereotypes, yet you show pride in who you fundamentally are.

2) i exuded confidence and made devilishly bold eye contact. i spoke calmly and slowly and lucidly. i had powerful body language. the way i presented myself ran counter to the stereotype of the weak, nerdy, unconfident, socially inept asian-american male (hey, i don't like it either. i just tell it like it is, and do my own best to shatter that stereotype).

Use the search button on SDN a lot.

It'll cut down on the incessant double questions and get you probably a more indepth answer. Helped me with the school Y vs school Z questions.

Get a set of passport photos from walgreens, then scan, and use the photoprint machine to make copies for just $0.39/each.

Makes it a lot less expensive.

Genius at work...
Pagal

Apply early!

After you finish most of your secondaries, make sure you still have some money because come October, November, you WILL start to worry and add more schools to your AMCAS, even though you'll likely be okay.

Supadupafly said:
15. Don't apply to too many schools. It will drive you crazy.

So many people apply to 20+; it's a waste of time and money. Apply to enough to overcome the statistical chance that you wont get in. It may feel like your chances are slim everywhere, but believe me, it's more about applying early, doing well on the MCATs, and writing/interviewing well. I think many recommend something like this:

12 schools total:
-6 that have average numbers near yours or look like they have students like you
-4 "safety" schools; schools with lower av.GPA/MCAT.
-2 dream schools.

This is good advice. My premed advisors told me that beyond 12-15 schools, your chances don't increase all that drastically. So, apply to enough (12+), but not too many. More important to apply to a range of schools (look at how you match up with the school....do they tend to accept non-traditional/older applicants, if this is you? Are they looking for research minded or clinically focused applicants? etc.) and to apply early.

98. Emphasize your clinical experience in your personal statement.
99. Emphasize your clinical experience in your interviews.

dhoonlee said:
I respectfully disagree. There are plenty of people who apply to many schools only to be rejected by all of them. While it would be great to have the luxury of picking the school that is right for you, the competition is too great to expect it. I recommend applying to as many schools as possible.

If your goal is to get into any medical school (nothing wrong with that), make sure to apply to a wide range of rankings. The process really has a strong element of randomness.

I see what you're saying....I was just quoting what I was told (by my pre-med advisors) that stastically, applying to more than 15 (I believe this was the number they quoted) schools doesn't continue to increase your chances all that much. But, I'm not sure where they got these statistics, so I guess they are not all that useful. It just made sense to me at the time. I'm definitely not saying to think that you have the luxury of picking the school that is right for you (I certainly didn't, and most premeds don't), and I'm not saying not to apply to a lot of schools.....But that at a certain point, the statistics don't increase all that drastically just by adding more and more schools......so, apply to many schools and choose those schools wisely. (Hard to explain, but it makes sense to me somehow.....any mathematicians out there?)

Also, bring knee pads and vaseline at an interview, you never know when they will come in handy.

RayhanS1282 said:
Also, bring knee pads and vaseline at an interview, you never know when they will come in handy.
:laugh:

Ewwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww

100. The MOMENT you get a secondary from a medical school, send them your letters of recommendation. More time is spent processing your application by waiting and validating your LOR's than anything else. Medical schools verify your secondary in seconds, but it takes weeks for them to get your LOR's.

Don't wait.

To go along with what genius said, MAKE SURE YOUR LETTERS GET THERE.

Use a letter service like Interfolio or career services. I was verified by AMCAS in mid-June and am still not complete at three schools because professors are slow. It blows my mind how someone can't take the time to print an already written letter, put it in an envelope and drop it in the mail. :mad:

try to get one really interesting clinical experience, then you can write about it in all your secondaries for most of the essay prompts, and also at your interview talk about it a lot.

entropy- you LOVE this thread.

i would have to say follow up on your apps. i mean its still early and i only have one interview, but i've been showing repeated interest in a lot of my schools and i'm getting hints that it may pay off. i would also say be very realistic in which schools you choose to apply to. i know of several people that had to reapply by not taking this into consideration and even more who just barely got in off the waitlist in time to not have to reapply. buy the msar and memorize it. like that time you memorized the dictionary when you were 4. you remember that time? me neither. never happened.
-mota

DaMota said:
entropy- you LOVE this thread.

i would have to say follow up on your apps. i mean its still early and i only have one interview, but i've been showing repeated interest in a lot of my schools and i'm getting hints that it may pay off. i would also say be very realistic in which schools you choose to apply to. i know of several people that had to reapply by not taking this into consideration and even more who just barely got in off the waitlist in time to not have to reapply. buy the msar and memorize it. like that time you memorized the dictionary when you were 4. you remember that time? me neither. never happened.
-mota

I tried to memorize the encylopedia once. I made it through the first several pages... Don't tell anyone though- they'll think I'm a nerd :laugh:

I know some would disagree, but doing research during your undergrad years looks extremely well on your application (Be sure you know your stuff well for the interview!). I cannot stress this enough, it looks real good if you enjoy your research and have put in some time on it. Publishing is even better and stays with you for life. Get a letter of recommendation from your PI (if your research is in medicine, this LOR has considerable weight as it can be from an MD). Added bonus if your PI spends a portion of his time in clinical work as well. You can shadow him having the double threat of clinical exposure with the appreciation for research from the same person (this is why he can give you a great LOR).

Take the April MCAT and apply early.

Sorry if this has already been mentioned, but...

Recruit early on a diverse list of people to review your primary and secondary essays.
Perhaps:
1) a close friend (preferably an english/writing stud)
2) a research supervisor
3) a pre-med advisor
4) a physician
5) an english teacher
6) a fellow pre-med
7) your parents! :eek: (I only did this for my autobiography)
8) other research or medical types...post-docs are good.

Most everything important has already been covered at great length in this thread and others, but some helpful hints I would add are

1.) Girls: DO NOT WEAR eyeliner, eyeshadow or anything that might smudge during the interview day. When you wear casual clothes, a little smudging is fine, but messy makeup clashes with your suit. If you do wear eye makeup, be prepared to have to "fix it" multiple times in the day, which is really annoying. You have more important stuff to be worrying about.

2.) Think long and hard about whether you want to stay with student hosts. Ask what you'll be sleeping on. If you've never slept on a couch before, now is not the best time to start. Unless you have pressing questions to ask the students, just get a hotel and relax.

This might sound silly, but find a good interview suit in the summer/fall while doing the secondaries. I had an invitation for an interview only 2 weeks after the secondary was due and I had less than a week's notice. Its a small point but you can't exactly show up in jeans no matter how good your MCAT and GPA are.

funshine said:
If you've never slept on a couch before, now is not the best time to start. Unless you have pressing questions to ask the students, just get a hotel and relax.

Yea I just realized how true this is. When it's the night before your interview, you might just need some time to yourself to get your thoughts sorted out, figure out what's important that YOU want to say. When i stayed with med students before my interviews, we just talked all night long, and they kept mentioning things I tried to memorize and fit in somehow during the next day's interview. and it never worked. i always wished i had just read a book to myself, took a long shower, and slept.