post PharmD residency

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kwakster928

A Legal Drug Dealer
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
is anyone who are currently in residency program? and want to share experiences? since residency program is getting popular these days. i wonder if we should have separate forum for pharmD residency. i wonder how high the traffice volume will be though.

Members don't see this ad.

I doubt it..MNnaloxone is the only one I know in this forum who's doing a residency, and I think that starts this coming year. Lord999 is going on to graduate school, last I heard. Perhaps in a few years when the current batch of forum regulars graduates, many of us may choose to go towards a residency. I'm gonna have to decide pretty soon, whether or not I'm going to pursue that route. For now, a "pharmacy residency" forum may not generate much traffic.

Hi I am starting my residency July 1st. So if anybody has any questions I look forward to helping. Take Care.

Members don't see this ad :)
Starting my residency this coming Monday. I'm not around as much as I used to be (which wasn't that much anyway)-but holler and I'll try to answer any questions you have.

MNnaloxone said:
Starting my residency this coming Monday. I'm not around as much as I used to be (which wasn't that much anyway)-but holler and I'll try to answer any questions you have.
what and where are you doing yours at?

Minneapolis VA Medical Center. It is classified as a general Pharmacy Practice Residency, but will tie more ambulatory care in to it than just a normal hospital residency. Good for me, because I get bored easy.

MNnaloxone said:
Minneapolis VA Medical Center. It is classified as a general Pharmacy Practice Residency, but will tie more ambulatory care in to it than just a normal hospital residency. Good for me, because I get bored easy.
do you know what you will be doing there exactly yet? Will you be focusing on a disease state and doing projects or something? I plan on following in your footsteps when I graduate, thus my interest! :)

It is a new position (this VA had a geriatric specialty and a straight hospital GP residency last year, I'll be the first hybrid), so no one knows everything about it yet. I'll spend the first month or so in training, learning the computer systems, VA culture, finding the bathrooms, etc. After that, I'll go on month to two month 'rotations'. I'll be required to complete at least 3 of these in the traditional hospital residency fashion-a month with medical residents/students on the ICU rounds, cardio, and whatever other elective I want. The rest of the rotations are up to my boss and I. I'll get most of December to work on my ASHP presentation, will probably spend a month with management, and the rest in clinics. My boss gave an example of: in clinic, each med resident has their own exam room, where they see their patients. Nearby is a meeting room with the doctor they report to. I hang out in there with him/her. When the med residents have a plan for their patient, they outline it to us both, and we discuss the situation. Sounds pretty cool. I sure I'll have a whole deskfull of other stuff to do this year, including my share of smaller projects and inservices. but that's about all I know right now. More importantly, I need to know when my benefits start!

I will be at the UMN (Minnesota) graduate program in Social, Administrative, and Clinical Pharmacy this coming fall. I chose this because I wanted to become a researcher rather than a clinical practitioner.

Graduate school trains their candidates to be the most effective researchers in their fields, period. They are rarely involved in clinical practice. Some of us are involved in basic research: that which identifies a knowledge problem and solves it, usually without direct pratical application (Med. Chem. Pharmacology, Pceutics, Kinetics, my program). Many of us (my Experimental Clinical Pharmacy bretheren) are involved in translational research, applying the basic pharmacy research and translating it to be suitable for practice (i. e. make money off it).

Residencies in pharmacy train their candidates to "be all you can be" as a pharmacist. They take the generalist curriculum in pharmacy school (book learning and basic rotations) and breathe life into it. Whereas in pharmacy school, you may deal with each issue seperately, residencies train you to look at the whole patient. For example, MNaloxone is not likely to encounter a DM II patient with absolutely no co-morbidities. He'll get a DM II patients who have ESRD, CHF, HTN, foot amputation, retinopathy, and is depressed and borderline suicidal from experiencing his current condition. And by the way, his A1C is 12, Sulfa allergy, and experiencing some nasty decubitus ulceration with extraordinary pain at 7 on the VAS. For even a fresh pharmacy grad without residency training, allowing him or her to manage this patient pharmacotherapy would be an ambitious start to say the least (if not downright asking for litigation).

For the really psychotic die-hards out there, there are plenty of opportunities to get a joint residency/graduate degree. This allows you to get a MS, MPH, or an MBA along with an ASHP accredited residency. This is really recommended if you're the pharmacy management, epidemiology, or policy type worker.

Either of which, I really think that passing one of the BCPS exams is what separates the best pharmacists from the rest. A good residency program should train you for one of those exams (and passage of the BCNP is required to practice as a nuclear pharmacist). I actually think these exams will become required passage for a clinical pharmacist position after a while.

On the other hand, do not be scared of the Chicken Little clinical pharmacists who say that there is no future in being a basic community or hospital pharmacists. For the CRW pharmacists out there, I sincerely believe their positions are safe at least for the next 60 years so long as they keep pharmacists as being responsible for what happens in a pharmacy. There is no shame in choosing these positions, and in fact, you'll be rewarded much better in the pecuniary arena than the other paths. I just like the nonpecuniary benefits of being a prof. or researcher. Don't let the "visionary" people in our profession con and scare you into doing what you don't feel is right for you.

This profession is going strong, and with some effort, will continue to be thriving in the years to come. I am glad to participate in its effort to remain the most trusted profession around.

I tend to be a lurker most of the time, but if you have any questions, I'll definitely post an answer.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hey MNaloxone, I hope to see you there, and your benefits I believe start July 1 if you are cross-funded with UMN.

Was that really why? I didn't know that...one of my professors told me that it was because Gallup didn't include Nurses in the list of choices until recently. That's cool with me either way...my mom's been a nurse for over 30 years. She and her fellow nurses deserve the kudos.

That's what I heard too. After that guy messed with the chemo, we dropped out of the top spot.

I'm a P4 and I'm pretty sure that I'll do a residency. They're something that the schools push a whole lot though that's for sure. I don't see many people in this forum though that are currently doing a residency.

And yes I have the greatest respect for good nurses. They are underpaid, overworked and underappreciated. It's tough being a nurse these days.

Yup, they're pushing it alot at our school too. We have some sort of "residency task force" made up of some of our clinical faculty, whose mission is to increase interest in and application to postgraduate residency and fellowship programs. Knowing my class, I'd say the large majority won't do it. They wouldn't even consider working staff positions in hospitals...retail all the way. I can think of about 10 classmates including myself who would seriously consider a residency. This might change in the next few months as we begin our clinical rotations.

We didn't get any kind of a faculty push for residencies-it took a clin pharm on my first rotation to turn me on to the idea (and to turn me on...but that's something else). That said, my class had a record number of us take residencies-eight of us (out of 50-some grads). Reverse psych?

As for my residency, I have crappy dental insurance (too bad, since I need a root canal), but at least my preceptor told me that I wouldn't have to work any weekends! I'm sure I'll run into you, lord-Minneapolis isn't that big of a place, and it seems all the pharmacists know each other here, anyway. One more thing-don't sweat the MN practical exam too much-it wasn't bad at all.

Are residencies hard to get? and I hear that most students dont go for residency because they want to get paid right after graduation. is this true? i on the other hand want to stay away from retail. thanks in advance

Its not hard to get now because students graduating are motivated by the money that could be made right out of school. That doesn't mean though that it is not competitive because it is

It depends on where the residency is. I'm sure pharmacy practice residencies at prestigious medical centers like Cedars-Sinai in LA are quite competitive. It may be significantly less difficult to get into, for instance, a pharmacy practice residency in Fresno (no offense, to you central valley Californians ;) ). The bottom line is that once the ASHP matching process is done, quite a few desirable residency spots remain unfilled.

For the folks who are doing a residency, what is it that they look at the most during a residency interview? I've heard that they chuck all the grades/extracirriculars out the door and look mostly at your personality. That's pretty subjective isn't it? And what other things do you guys recommend for the prospective pharmacy resident? Thanks so much in advance!

I'm not doing a residency...yet. I guess that depends on the residency coordinator(s) or whoever is in charge of the selection process. One of the pharmacists I worked with, a UCSF grad, told me about a residency interview she had in Michigan, in which she was told to do a pharmacokinetic dosing problem on the whiteboard in front of a panel of interviewers. I have a hard enough time doing those on a piece of paper, let alone having my work gawked at by a dozen eyeballs. Talk about performance anxiety! :laugh:

Grade and extracuricular are all important to an extent however in the end it's how you come across. However I still think the most important thing is if the residency will fufill your needs and goals.

Thanks for all the info. I am starting pharmacy school in the fall and at this point can say that a residency is in my future. I would like to do a residency that specializes in some form of infectious disease. I realized after shadowing at a local hospital that clinical pharmacy was my calling. I absolutely loved what they did, especially the rotations. After shadowing in both hospital and retail settings, I know that I belong in the hospital. To many people it is important to get out and make the money, but for me, one or two more years is a small price to pay for doing something that I wil love!