Post-Rejection year off

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

halethsonofhama

Big Easy
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just saw a post similar to this, but I am repeating it because I need answers applicable to me.

Since it is likely that I won't get accepted this round (I only applied to Local schools because I didn't have the time or money to ravel this year) I need to start planning for when I don't get an acceptance.

My current Highlites Are:

-I already have 4 years (and counting) of clinical work as a medical assistant.
-I have 2 years of ER volunteer work
-I will have 1 year of research this june.
-I have done one international missions trip to Ghana

For the year after I am at a loss. But here is my plan:

-Stop doing my research. I believe one year is enough and continuing on will not get me a publication.
-Stop my MA job and possibly start work as an EMT (I am licensed). I think having work in a different variety of healthcare would help. Although the drop in pay would suck huge. If you have any suggestions for a medical job, let me know.
-I want to get more experience in leadership as that Is my biggest hole in my app. Does anyone have any idea as to a post-college organization I can get leadership in?
-I don't think I could find the time to do a spanish course, but I have Rosetta stone. Do med schools take 'self-taught' spanish into consideration?

Is there anything else I might not be thinking about? what have you done for your year off?

Members don't see this ad.

If money was the issue this year and you, presumably, want to apply more broadly next year, it would make sense to stick with the highest paying job or doing something that would still net you enough money to apply more broadly next cycle. I'm personally biased towards research. As a research assistant, you'd likely be getting something in the low-to-mid $20k area for a year. But it is very hard to get only a 1-year research position (most labs want you to stay at least 2 years). I know this from personal experience (applied to more than 150 labs before landing the, admittedly perfect, position that I'm currently in).

With that being said, if you've interviewed at a few of the schools you've applied to this cycle, it's still relatively early to think that you're not going to get accepted. A month or two from now, I'd imagine more slots would open up at most schools as people get accepted to other schools and withdraw their applications.

Members don't see this ad :)
If money was the issue this year and you, presumably, want to apply more broadly next year, it would make sense to stick with the highest paying job or doing something that would still net you enough money to apply more broadly next cycle.

With that being said, if you've interviewed at a few of the schools you've applied to this cycle, it's still relatively early to think that you're not going to get accepted.

I'm just getting prepared for the worst case scenario. I interviewed only 2 schools so far (Jan 11th and 27th) and both went great. But they are still Ca schools and I'm a small fish in a big pond. Regardless of my above average stats for these schools and extensive clinical experience, I recognize chances are still slim

I read it as he/she wants to do something productive in the year off, but still have fun at the same time.

Sub-consciously.... yes

I think the main thing is getting your house in order. Assuming you are willing to go to non local schools, you should figure out a way that best allows you to apply broadly, smartly, early, and allows you to take time to interview. Your current job seems to not allow that, and I don't think an EMT job is any more flexible with time off.

Once you have both the time and cash for a succesful app cycle, then you can start looking at ways to be productive, have fun, better your app, etc. Take out a loan if you have to. Each year you repeat a cycle is six figures of lost income.

I think the main thing is getting your house in order. Assuming you are willing to go to non local schools, you should figure out a way that best allows you to apply broadly, smartly, early, and allows you to take time to interview. Your current job seems to not allow that, and I don't think an EMT job is any more flexible with time off.

Once you have both the time and cash for a succesful app cycle, then you can start looking at ways to be productive, have fun, better your app, etc. Take out a loan if you have to. Each year you repeat a cycle is six figures of lost income.

I'm sure I could get into a decent medschool somewhere even if I just sat around on my butt for the next year. My main concern is is that I want to see what I can do to better my chances for local SoCal schools.

I think finding a volunteer leadership position would help me out the most. I just don't know where to look for non-college organizations.

I'm sure I could get into a decent medschool somewhere even if I just sat around on my butt for the next year. My main concern is is that I want to see what I can do to better my chances for local SoCal schools.

I think finding a volunteer leadership position would help me out the most. I just don't know where to look for non-college organizations.
Look into a local Kiwanis or Rotary Club, perhaps? Or a Big Brother program, scouting if you were ever involved with that, a religious center, something like that.