post-sec experiences question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BigRedStress

AMEX Black
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all
So I did a good amount of research throughout high school which resulted in winning the westinghouse prize (semi-finalist)
I really want to put this down in the post-sec exper. but again they are not 'post'-sec.
but i really want med schools to see that i have been in to medical research since high school and have won a big award for it prior to high school... should i put it in? i have 9 things down already (mostly pubs) and ifn ot where do i put them?
Finally, I am still not sure as to put english or hindi as my primary language because i learned english at a young age (10ish). I did recieve As in my english classes in college though and scored a Q on my writing. but got an 8 on the verbal with 11s in physical and bio. I need to decide quick to i can send this off. please help once again. thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

You're not meant to mention anything that happened during highschool in your post-sec experiences list. You should certainly include it in your PS though :)

I put the fact that I had been a serious student of classical music performance for years (since before high school) and 2 major awards I'd won for it in high school on my post-sec experiences last year. Got no negative comments on it in a dozen interviews, and lots of people wanted to talk to me about music. I think my music background got me lots of interviews and was instrumental ( :wink: ) in my getting into the one top 10 school that accepted me. On the other hand, I did not put down that I was a semi-finalist for Presidential Scholar. I guess my criterion was how big a part of my life music had been, and the fact that I continued it as an EC all through college. I used my PS to talk about the path that led me to appply to medical school, and music, though a big part of my life, would not have fit in. If I were you, I would include it if it does not fit easily into your PS.

I think "continued through college" is the key. If it's something you STARTED in highschool but continued on into college... then I think it should definitely be put down. However if it was something you did only in highschool, then I don't think it would be appropriate to include it in post-secondary experiences.