post-secondary

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Sandhya

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm not applying right now, but I was wondering if you put your clinical experiences under post-secondary experiences? I'm asking because my most significant clinical experiences were before college (I shadowed different doctors for a year and then an anesthesiologist for another year.) Thanks guys.

Members don't see this ad.

Yes, your clinical experiences are listed under "post secondary expriences" on the AMCAS app. But you could certainly write about your shadowing experiences in your personal statement and secondary essays.

Sandhya:

This was EXACTLY the thing I was worried about. All my hospital volunteer hours (200+) and accolades (nominee: volunteer of the yr) came during my HS years. Usually one would avoid putting HS experiences, but this is truly an exception. These experiences were crucial in shaping my decision to go into medicine.

The volunteering was brought up (either by interviewer or myself) in all 4 interviews thus far and not one made a negative comment about it being so long ago. In fact, I received some positive feedback that I did take the time to do research, TA, tutor to better 'round' myself during undergrad.

hope this helps!