Post Shelf Exam Anxiety

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Hassler

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So, I just took my first ever shelf exam yesterday (Surgery) and boy was it difficult. Everyone was right about the length of the questions. All of them were like half a page long or at least a quarter, and we only get 2 hours 10 min to do 100 of them. I feel like I'm only sure about 40 of the questions and then the rest were kinda educated/random guesses. The only positive thing was that I finished the test. Nonetheless, I think there is a huge chance that I might not have passed (passing = 60) and I'm worried that I have to retake the test or even redo the clerkship. (sigh)

I used First Aid for surgery, Pestana notes and A&L mostly. Other than Pestana, neither seemed to prepare me well for this shelf exam as I feel like I studied those resources well.

My course coordinator says usually everyone passes. My first reaction was "Really? Does everyone else thinks it's easy and I'm the only one who thinks it's hard" I know for sure that even if I pass, my score will be just above 60. I've been scoring above average on the vast majority of in class tests and quizzes, so I have a tough time believing everyone will pass. I guess I shall find out in 3 weeks.

Anyone been in this type of situation before? Should I start studying for a potential retake (my school allows a retake for those who failed)? Should I try getting a new surgery review book? I don't know how much time my school gives to study for a retake after scores come out. Maybe I'm doing all this worrying for nothing, but........... definitely don't want to fail when I'm retaking.

Members don't see this ad.

First of all --- breathe.....then breathe again.....let's not go into respiratory distress just yet.....:D

Seriously, don't buy trouble. You don't know your score. I just finished the IM shelf. It was a blur but I made some educated guesses on it also and wound up quickly bubbling in two answers when time was called.

I'm reviewing IM daily just to stay current and because I like it. I also figure that repetition is the mother of skill, so by reviewing a little daily, I'll be in a better position for Step 2.

I'm on surgery next (starts 2 Sept) and have picked up Case Files in addition to what's required by the school. I like the format and have heard it's good.
You may want to check it out. Also, if you haven't given Pre-Test a look, most of the 4th years at our school swear by the thing.

So - advice? Just review the surgery stuff to keep it fresh for Step 2. Then if you do need to redo that puppy, you're at a better jump off point than trying to remember it cold. You may want to hit some review questions also.
I think the IM QBank did more for me than the books.....