post test depression

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jackal head

Registered Sex Offender
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Have you guys ever wrote a test and found out right after you made a big screw up, especually over something small? How do you deal with it? I just missed a small detail in my physics lab test and it will definitley kill any chances of getting an A. Perhaps the only good that can come from this is the fact I will be taking gen chem and microbio in the fall but now I will be paranoid about the labs.

Just can't get rid of that rotten feeling in my stomach knowing how bad I did, I'm trying to prevent it from interfering with my next exam coming 3 days from now.

Members don't see this ad.

don't be so hard on yourself. It ain't over until its over (when the grades are up).

If i were in your shoes, I'd just tell myself to get 100% on the next exam... to make up for the error, of course.

Members don't see this ad :)
you can't change anything now
but you CAN do better on your next exam
go take a long bath
think about why you made that mistake and after you finish your bath, make sure you realize that everyone makes mistakes and that you have learned and you won't make that same mistake again.

i usually reflect. I'm sure many people have been in that same position but just taking time out to calm yourself by taking a bath or even listening to music helps.

hope you feel better:oops:

It's best to never talk about tests after you do them. If you do, allow for some small margins of error (i.e. couple wrong because of an ambigious question or w/e). And how are you so sure you lost your A? There may be a possibility of a bell curve and free marks too. Keep yourself busy and you won't be bothered by a silly question, best of luck.

Edit: plus it looks like you may get part marks anyways, even if its one of those small mistakes that carry through to the final answer.

don't worry. I was in the same situation. I thought I killed my chance of getting an A but it turned out the average was pretty low and I was 29% higher than the average and ended up getting A++ with the curve and I was like I worried for nothing!

Have you guys ever wrote a test and found out right after you made a big screw up, especually over something small? How do you deal with it? I just missed a small detail in my physics lab test and it will definitley kill any chances of getting an A. Perhaps the only good that can come from this is the fact I will be taking gen chem and microbio in the fall but now I will be paranoid about the labs.

Just can't get rid of that rotten feeling in my stomach knowing how bad I did, I'm trying to prevent it from interfering with my next exam coming 3 days from now.

I know exactly how you feel. I feel the same way. After taking a test, I always remember some errors usually minor I made on the test and that kills me me because I think view the error as a major error. Here is the thing, the error that I think I made is very minor or insufficient that I usually get the grade that I wanted OR I get a bad grade not because of that error but some other errors I made that I didn't realize. I usually tell myself that I will be okay with the error if I didn't make any other mistakes. I also believe you will be okay with that error if you didn't make any other mistakes.

Two things I try to do to avoid this kind of depression. One, after taking a test, I never think about the test until I get the test back and second, after taking a test, I never read or review anything related to the materials that got covered in the test until I get the test back.