Post total hysterectomy indications for pap smear

Started by DrMetal
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

DrMetal

To shred or not shred?
Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I've often read that post total hysterectomy for a high grade cervical lesion may still require PAP smears for surveillance. Dumb question (forgive me, I'm a hospitalist): If the hysterectomy was total and considered definitive for treatment, what would you be 'smearing' when you do the PAP? There's no cervix anymore, not even remnants, right? Are you taking cytology from the proximal vaginal canal, just to ensure no spread?
 
I've often read that post total hysterectomy for a high grade cervical lesion may still require PAP smears for surveillance. Dumb question (forgive me, I'm a hospitalist): If the hysterectomy was total and considered definitive for treatment, what would you be 'smearing' when you do the PAP? There's no cervix anymore, not even remnants, right? Are you taking cytology from the proximal vaginal canal, just to ensure no spread?

The vaginal cuff. Where the cervix used to be.

Link doesn't work.
Uploaded the picture instead.
 

Attachments

  • unnamed.jpg
    unnamed.jpg
    36.2 KB · Views: 219
Last edited: