Post your RoL! ~ 2007

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Maybe someone pulled out of a prematch at Jeff? I dunno, haven't heard anything (and probably won't :( ).

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Well, to be honest, I don't know if they do or don't either... I think I just assumed it because they always have 1 or 2 IMGs each year (so don't lose faith!). I can't remember if they said there was extra room in the budget for another intern, but if that was the case, then perhaps they didn't update it until now on the website? Who knows? I'm glad you caught that, though, every extra space helps!

Have you guys noticed that Jefferson's quota increased today from 7 to 8?
Any idea why?

Iserson's book sheds a little light on this phenomenon. Apparently, programs within the same sponsoring institution can shift around quotas, so long as there is no net gain for the institution as a whole. In other words, that extra spot comes from another program within the institution.

Sweet! I never knew that (and I bet many others, either). Thanks for the timely info.

1. Dartmouth
2. Colorado
3. Duke
4. UT Southwestern
5. MUSC
6. Arizona
7. UNC
8. Wash U

I checked my list about 25 times yesterday to make sure I didn't screw something up!

1. Pitt
2. UMich
3. UMass (Adult)
4. UMass (Child/Adult)
5. Maryland/Shepard Pratt
6. Hopkins
7. IOL
8. OSU
9. Louisville
10. MUSC

maranatha, your list is very...diverse. are you more therapy or biologically slanted?? i didnt peg you as a hopkins kinda person, altho the residents seemed super nice :) best of luck. ive heard GREAT things about UMASS: faculty and research.

1. cornell
2. cambridge
3. columbia
4. mgh/mclean
5. nyu
6. harvard longwood
7. penn

5/10

1. mgh/mclean
2. longwood
3. umass child/adult
4. cambridge
5. brown
.....etc...

1. UCSF
2. Cambridge
3. Stanford
4. Brown
5. Harvard Longwood
6. etc...

1.University Illinois-Chicago
2.Wash U. - St Louis
3.Medical College of Wisconsin
4.Long Island Jewish/North Shore - New York
5.Medical College of Georgia
6.Loyola University

Favored location in the end...Any other windy city psych applicants??

Time to trade my flip-flops and hurricane shutters for a remote starter and a snow blower!!

Adios espanol tambien! Adios mio!!

:D

Members don't see this ad :)
maranatha, your list is very...diverse. are you more therapy or biologically slanted?? i didnt peg you as a hopkins kinda person, altho the residents seemed super nice :) best of luck. ive heard GREAT things about UMASS: faculty and research.

Hi Gardi. My take is that a psychiatrist's bread and butter are the medical aspects of psychiatry and we should be first-and-foremost excellent in that regard. HOWEVER, I very much want to learn and practice psychotherapy. Soooo, Hopkins is on there more b/c of location and b/c the medical aspects would be taught so well....and with the understanding that I can pick up the therapy as needed later on. I spoke with an attending who does psychotherapy and graduated from Hopkins and she was able to find mentors in her city to continue psychotherapy training. That is what I'd do.

Yes, UMass is awsome and another "hidden gem." BTW, Pitt and Mich both offer great psychotherapy as long as you seek it out...Pitt, especially, has beefed up their psychotherapy training.

Good luck to you, too!!!!! And everyone else! :D

1. Penn
2. UCSF
3. Cambridge
4. MGH/McLean
5. Harvard-Longwood
6. Duke
7. Columbia
8. NYU
9. Cornell
10. UNC

I really liked every single program I interviewed at so I ranked them all. Will plan to post interview reviews soon, so that next year's applicants will have some more recent info. I hope that others who interviewed at similar programs post them as well, I'd be so interested to know what your impressions were.

I feel pretty lucky, I'd be pretty happy going anywhere on my list.

Oregon
New Mexico
Colorado
Brown
Yale
Dartmouth
Vermont
Rochester

and now... we wait. Too cruel. Considering that they probably already have the results.

I just want to say that I think it's awesome that this thread has exploded with responses today. It's really interesting to see where all of us forum members are choosing to end up, so, thanks, and contribute already if you haven't, you lurking MSIV's, you!

1. University of Wisconsin- Madison :love:
2. University of Illinois-Chicago
3. Rush
4. Cambridge
5. Brown
6. U of Maryland-Shephard Pratt
7. Vanderbilt
8. University of Virginia

I would be happy at any of these but for the sake of ending up near my husband I ranked midwest programs at the top.

Here's mine...best of luck to everyone!

1. Cornell
2. Penn
3. NYU
4. Longwood
5. Duke
6. Hopkins
7. Northwestern
8. Mt. Sinai
9. Pitt

It was a hard choice.... ranked 4/7
1) Mayo Clinic
2) San Antonio
3) University of Minnesota
4) UCLA/SFV

didn't rank UCLA/ Harbor, UT Houston, UCSD

To share...

1: Washington University
2: University of Wisconsin
3: University of Michigan
4: Pittsburgh
5: Brown
6: Emory
7: Indiana
8: University of Illinois - Chicago
9: University of Colorado

Soooo, Hopkins is on there more b/c of location and b/c the medical aspects would be taught so well....

Is Baltimore really a desirable location? Aren't you worried about getting stabbed to death? I guess they have those armed guardes at the entrances so as long as you stay on campus you should be fine...

I'd love to end up at Sheppard-Pratt/U of MD, which is really only blocks away from Hopkins. From what I was told on interview day, there has been a concerted effort lately to "gentrify" the Baltimore area, and much of downtown really looked pretty safe/comfortable to me. I don't think I would do much walking around in strange areas at night, and I probably will choose to live outside the city, but the immediate area around U of Maryland hospital looked nice, clean, fancy, and even *gasp* expensive! I think I'd feel just fine there. Of course, this would be coming from my living in Philadelphia for the last 4 years, so if that tempers any of my statements, so be it.

Is Baltimore really a desirable location? Aren't you worried about getting stabbed to death? I guess they have those armed guardes at the entrances so as long as you stay on campus you should be fine...

LOL...I actually have a lot of family in Baltimore County and want to eventually practice in the Baltimore/DC area. Baltimore is safe, as long as you know where NOT to go.:eek: Otherwise, it is actually a pretty cool city.

Top four

New Mexico
Nebraska
Maine
Mayo

LOL...I actually have a lot of family in Baltimore County and want to eventually practice in the Baltimore/DC area. Baltimore is safe, as long as you know where NOT to go.:eek: Otherwise, it is actually a pretty cool city.

I don't know much about Baltimore, but there was a thread on pre-allo a couple of years ago about some Hopkin's undergrad students being murdered and how the med school had armed guards. It was a pretty sensational thread with stories about stabbing (STABBINGS!), and people saying they wouldn't apply to Hopkins just because of the location. Everyone that had actually lived in Baltimore vehemently defended the city. The argument that ensued was quite a spectacle and really amusing to read.

I actually don't have anything against Baltimore personally. I do, however, think it is lousy that Cleveland lost it's football team to Baltimore, a team which then went on to win the superbowl. For a city like Cleveland with such a proud football tradition and dedicated fan base to get screwed like that is unbelievable. That reminds me, speaking of STABBINGS, didn't Ray Lewis kill a man? Maybe that is why other teams fear the Baltimore defense so much?

Anyway, I digress...feel free to continue psych related discussion while I go back to my board studying.

I actually don't have anything against Baltimore personally. I do, however, think it is lousy that Cleveland lost it's football team to Baltimore, a team which then went on to win the superbowl. For a city like Cleveland with such a proud football tradition and dedicated fan base to get screwed like that is unbelievable. That reminds me, speaking of STABBINGS, didn't Ray Lewis kill a man? Maybe that is why other teams fear the Baltimore defense so much?

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: I suppose we'll all be safe in Baltimore as long as Ray Lewis is paid well!

1. UCSF
2. Columbia
3. NYU
4. MGH/McLean
5. San Mateo County
6. Cambridge Health Alliance
7. Univ. of Washington at Seattle
8. Hopkins
9. Sheppard Pratt/U of MD
10. Univ. of Wisconsin at Madison
11. Stanford

By the way, didn't rank UCLA-NPI and UCLA-Harbor.

First off, baltimore does suck for stealing the browns (sort of, guess it's not really their fault). Second, my visit to Hopkins was quite "entertaining," as when I checked in to my hotel a little over a mile away from the school, the attendant warned me not to go West or "bad stuff would happen" to me. Then the next day as I went to my interview there, I passed two different homeless people holding up signs next to the passing traffic right as I neared the school. Of course every city has that, it was just interesting that I hadn't encountered that basically right at the med school anywhere else.

Heh. Homeless guys brazenly hassling you for change as you eat just outside the hospital/med school grounds has long been a staple of Philadelphia dining. Some call it ambiance. I call it something else. ;)

bUmP

one week til you find out if you didnt match, one week and one day til the scramble starts, one week and three days until match results come out . . . anyone else feel like peeing their pants whenever they think about it??

c'mon . . . someone comiserate with me so i dont have to do it all alone . . . :eek:

I know the waiting must suck, but as I sit here studying for step 1, I wish I was in your shoes right now.

bUmP

one week til you find out if you didnt match, one week and one day til the scramble starts, one week and three days until match results come out . . . anyone else feel like peeing their pants whenever they think about it??

c'mon . . . someone comiserate with me so i dont have to do it all alone . . . :eek:

Waiting sucks. A time machine right about now would be nice. I'd just like to take a peek.

bUmP

the waiting for actual match results does suck...i'm no stellar candidate, but somehow i'm not worried at all about not matching or the scramble, simply because we're applying for psych and it hardly seems to be a problem unless you're only ranking all the super competitive schools.

I'm actually way more nervous about getting my Step 2 CS &CK scores back (hopefully) this thursday or friday. Yes, yes, I took them pretty late, I know. I feel pretty confident about both, but, anxiety is a bitch.

I wonder what would happen to somebody who matches but then fails step 2 and can't graduate. *gulp*

I'm actually way more nervous about getting my Step 2 CS &CK scores back (hopefully) this thursday or friday. Yes, yes, I took them pretty late, I know. I feel pretty confident about both, but, anxiety is a bitch.

I wonder what would happen to somebody who matches but then fails step 2 and can't graduate. *gulp*

No worries...I'm sure you passed. :thumbup:

Thanks dude! :) I'll update once those happy missives from 40th & Market St. come by.

Me, too. I will be getting both scores back a couple weeks after the match. Last year, someone from my school matched into a "competitive" surgical subspecialty, blew off step 2 CS, and then had her spot revoked by the program after she received an "F"... this scares the crap out of me!!!

Me, too. I will be getting both scores back a couple weeks after the match. Last year, someone from my school matched into a "competitive" surgical subspecialty, blew off step 2 CS, and then had her spot revoked by the program after she received an "F"... this scares the crap out of me!!!
But it seems like for this to happen, one of the following would have to be true: (1) your school requires a passing score on CS for graduation or (2) your residency programs requires passing score on CS before starting residency. I believe the number of residency programs requiring it before residency is still relatively low (but it is transitioning towards more requiring it in the future). I have no idea about the med school side though -- my school doesn't require it, but I don't know if most do.

Well, I got my Step 2 CK score today.

...went from 180 the first go-round (simply didn't study hard enough) to 205!!! I know for SDN in general there are a bunch of geniuses, but I'm damn happy to have finally cracked 200! YAY!

Congratulations JJB!!! I knew you'd pass, I tell ya, it's that INTJ factor at work....

Well, I got my Step 2 CK score today.

...went from 180 the first go-round (simply didn't study hard enough) to 205!!! I know for SDN in general there are a bunch of geniuses, but I'm damn happy to have finally cracked 200! YAY!

Great Job!!!! :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

BTW, I got a 202 on Step 1 and a 199 on step 2. so we are not all freaking geniuses on this web-site. At least, we are not all good test takers...besides, studies have shown that there is no correlation between board scores and competency of a practicing physician. :D

Thanks for the love, guys! It makes me feel all warm and fuzzy and stuff.

congrats jjb!!!

But it seems like for this to happen, one of the following would have to be true: (1) your school requires a passing score on CS for graduation or (2) your residency programs requires passing score on CS before starting residency. I believe the number of residency programs requiring it before residency is still relatively low (but it is transitioning towards more requiring it in the future). I have no idea about the med school side though -- my school doesn't require it, but I don't know if most do.

Our school does not require a passing score to graduate and not sure about the residency program. i just know that this is the story that our dean used to scare the hell out of us and convince us to take our step 2s early... I didnt pay it much mind, but now im a little worried since i took step 2s late and wont receive scores before match day.

Even though im pretty confident that i passed, the uncertainty still eats away at me a bit.

Seems like a lot of the ROLs here are largely devoid of west coast programs, save for the occasional UCSF, UCLA, Stanford, etc. I certainly haven't seen posted ROLs that are predominantly west coast programs, although east coast and even upper midwest programs seem to be very popular. As for myself, having spent 15 years east of the Mississippi River, I'm ready to follow the sun, so all five of my top five are California programs. I guess this could be a set up for a big disappointment if I only match at my #6, but I'm really hoping this won't be the case, and at any rate, I wouldn't have a #6 if I didn't ultimately like that program too. Man, is it March 15 yet?

out of my top 10 about 4 r cali programs. out of the 42 i ranked, 7 r from cali. as an img i didnt get invites to all the top programs. i feel the programs in cali were better than atleast the ones i have been to in NYC. and i am not talking about the big 4 in cali since they showed me no love (ucsf, ucsd, ucla, stanford.) also the west coast in general has some good programs. i did not see any delaware psych institutes or st. vincents staten island type programs on the west side.

also as a former resident of cali i do like the location.

I know this is super late, but my ROL is

1. Indiana
2. Colorado
3. Lutheran General
4. UIC

I interviewed at 7 total places, but only ranked the ones I felt I would really be happy going to. 7 DAYS!!!!