Playing doctor
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Feb 19, 2003
Philadelphia
Visit site
Status
Attending Physician
Last year the psych applicants posted their ROL's and it was very interesting. Now that everything is finalized, would you guys be willing to post yours? Here is mine (obviously, I want to stay in Philadelphia):

1. Penn
2. Temple
3. Jefferson

tangents

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Oct 31, 2004
Status
1. Cornell
2. Longwood
3. Mt. Sinai
4. Brown
5. Einstein
6. LIJ
7. St. Luke's Roosevelt

Boofus4L

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Aug 15, 2004
Status
1. duke
2. unc
3. yale
4. musc
5. nyu
6. penn
7. baylor
8. hopkins
9. michigan
10.columbia
11.utsw
12. maryland

interviewed at but did not rank:
-emory
-cornell
-wash u.

Bastos Envy

10+ Year Member
Feb 24, 2005
Status
1. University of Southern California
2. Northwestern
3. Georgetown
4. University of Illinois at Chicago
5. Rush University Medical Center
6. Case Western Reserve University
7. Saint Louis University

Interviewed but Did Not Rank or Declined Interview:
1. University of Colorado, Denver
2. University of Chicago
3. Washington University in St. Louis
4. University of Cincinnatti

nortomaso

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Feb 13, 2005
Status
Boofus4L said:
1. duke
2. unc
3. yale
4. musc
5. nyu
6. penn
7. baylor
8. hopkins
9. michigan
10.columbia
11.utsw
12. maryland

interviewed at but did not rank:
-emory
-cornell
-wash u.
Curious why you guys didn't rank Washington U.

Boofus4L

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Aug 15, 2004
Status
nortomaso said:
Curious why you guys didn't rank Washington U.
though the pd was great and i REALLY liked the chairman (who spent 45 minutes talking to me!), the program was VERY research oriented. While I have done research in the past and I am seriously thinking about an academic career, I feel I would not get the breadth of therapy training that I want. The residents seemed friendly and happy and I really liked St. Louis, so it was a tough decision for me to drop it from my list. In the end, though, business is business.

nortomaso

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Feb 13, 2005
Status
Boofus4L said:
though the pd was great and i REALLY liked the chairman (who spent 45 minutes talking to me!), the program was VERY research oriented. While I have done research in the past and I am seriously thinking about an academic career, I feel I would not get the breadth of therapy training that I want. The residents seemed friendly and happy and I really liked St. Louis, so it was a tough decision for me to drop it from my list. In the end, though, business is business.
Thanks for the reply Boofus. What specifically made you feel that you wouldn't receive broad enough clinical training?

meisteckhart

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Feb 8, 2005
Status
1. NYU
2. MGH/McLean
3. Columbia
4. Harvard Longwood
5. University of Illinois
6. Brown
7. Mt. Sinai
8. Boston University
9. University of Wisconsin - Madison
10. U Mass
11. Rush

Didn't rank: Harvard Southshore, Washington University, Tufts, Northwestern, University of Chicago, Beth Israel (New York)

3 weeks to go. Good luck everyone. :)

Boofus4L

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Aug 15, 2004
Status
nortomaso said:
Thanks for the reply Boofus. What specifically made you feel that you wouldn't receive broad enough clinical training?
well, on interview day everyone went out of their way to emphasize the fact that you could get great therapy training there... but in looking at their didactics schedule, it was all centered around neurotransmitters - which are great and all, but not solely what i want to learn about in residency ;) when i asked the pd about this, he made a comment to the effect that they teach psychoanalytic theory in their "history of psychiatry" course. he then went on to say that of course i could get great therapy training - i would just have to seek it out on my own, via the analytic institute in st. louis.

this was the first program i went to, and i was all bright-eyed and bushy-tailed and thought it was great. in comparing it to the places i visited subsequently, however, i realized it wasn't the right philosophy for me...

nortomaso

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Feb 13, 2005
Status
Thanks Boofus. I'd also be interested to here from the others here who mentioned that they interviewed at, but did not rank Wash U.

OP
K

kcrd

Playing doctor
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Feb 19, 2003
Philadelphia
Visit site
Status
Attending Physician
If you haven't already, please post your ROL here... I know there are more psych applicants on the board than just the ones above! ;)

jackiemanuel

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Nov 6, 2004
Status
Because of the couple's match, I have no clue where I will go, but here is my list:

1. Cambridge
2. UPenn
3. Longwood
4. UNC
5. Yale
6. Colorado
7. Brown

Did not rank: Duke, UChicago

Best wishes to everyone... J.M.

alina_s

15+ Year Member
Sep 24, 2001
Seattle
Visit site
Status
Attending Physician
1. U. Washington
2. UCSF
3. U. New Mexico
4. Maine Medical Center
5. Harvard/Longwood
6. UCSF-Fresno
7. Stanford
8. UVM
9. UIC
10. U. Hawaii
11. U. Arizona

dolby

10+ Year Member
Jan 24, 2005
Status
1. MGH/McLean
2. Michigan
3. Johns Hopkins
4. UPenn
5. Stanford

posternutbag

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Feb 5, 2005
Status
1. duke
2. U. of Washington [seattle]
3. Penn
4. UCSF
5. Columbia
6. Robert Wood Johnson
7. U Va
8. Sinai
9. Maryland

Hey boofus, maybe we'll both be at Duke come July:)

almost done

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jan 28, 2005
Status
1) MGH/McLean
2) Penn
3) Yale
4) UCLA
5) Cornell
6) UCSF
7) Longwood
8) Columbia
9) NYU
10) Mt. Sinai
11) Hopkins
12) Brown
13) Einstein

Good luck to everyone

Boofus4L

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Aug 15, 2004
Status
posternutbag said:
1. duke
2. U. of Washington [seattle]
3. Penn
4. UCSF
5. Columbia
6. Robert Wood Johnson
7. U Va
8. Sinai
9. Maryland

Hey boofus, maybe we'll both be at Duke come July:)
AWESOME - hope to meet you there! Nice to see other people ranking Duke #1 :D

rkidavis

10+ Year Member
Feb 26, 2005
Status
1. Stanford
2. NYU
3. Longwood
4. Penn
5. Hopkins
6. Cedars
7. UCLA
8. UC Irvine
9. Northwestern

msf123

10+ Year Member
Feb 26, 2005
Status
1)stanford
2)ucsd
3)longwood
4)u washington
5)ucla
6)uci
7)bu
8)cambridge

Thewonderer

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Oct 20, 2001
Visit site
Status
Is it tough to get into Duke? What is the consensus over the grape vine right now? It seems that they did not fill a 3-4 years ago but their PI is soooo nice and seems to really care about resident education. Isn't their psych ER awesome? :) :)

Boofus4L said:
AWESOME - hope to meet you there! Nice to see other people ranking Duke #1 :D

Boofus4L

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Aug 15, 2004
Status
Thewonderer said:
Is it tough to get into Duke? What is the consensus over the grape vine right now? It seems that they did not fill a 3-4 years ago but their PI is soooo nice and seems to really care about resident education. Isn't their psych ER awesome? :) :)
psych residencies on the whole are not very difficult to get into... among the psych residencies, it is hardest to get into the ones in new york and boston, i would say. i think that is partly because the programs are genuinely strong and partly because people love new york and boston.

as far as duke is concerned, i'm really not sure how competitive it is. i don't think many people are in love with durham, which probably makes it less desirable... i ranked it #1 because it seemed to me to be a comprehensive, rigorous program with excellent facilities, very cool residents, and the nicest PD around. :love: the word on the interview trail this year (at least my trail) was that the year the program didn't fill was shocking to everyone, and there haven't been any problems since. the program also seems to be attracting more and more very competitive candidates... lots of PDs, residents, and applicants on the trail used "up and coming". hope this helps! :)

posternutbag

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Feb 5, 2005
Status
I wound up ranking Duke 1st because I found their residents to be extremely dynamic- so many of them had serious interests/careers/achievements outside of the field of Psychiatry and medicine in general. Another strong point for me was the flexibility of the curriculum and all that 4th year elective time! The favulty members seemed genuinely interested in my researcch and were very receptive to helping me pursue it while at Duke. And of course, dr. Thrall is great.
As far as the competitiveness of the program- it is certainly not as competitive as the top NY, Boston, or CA programs, but i think a lot of that has to do with Durham! I almost didnt rank Duke #1 because of its location. But I do not feel that being a Duke trainee would be of any disadvantage whatsoever when applying for fellowships etc., as the strength of its program is widely recognized.
Best of luck to everyone:)

DrIng

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jul 20, 2003
Visit site
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Hi everyone, It would be great for those of us who will be Scrambling (damn the three month delay in getting to do the CS) if you could say why you chose not to rank a program (i.e. are there things we should be aware of...)

la_tortuga

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jan 16, 2005
Status
what does the 3 month delay in CS have to do with scrambling? I thought the whole point of doing a psychiatry residency, as opposed to derm or radiology, was to avoid scrambling. scramble- the word itself gives me the willies- although by far the best choice for egg preparation.

tangents

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Oct 31, 2004
Status
i am not taking cs until mid-may...neither is half my class. don't assume you will be scrambling unless you didn't apply on time. there are hardly any spots for cs which will get us scored on time to graduate, let alone prior to ROL submission. hope someone has not misinformed you about this and matching.

DrIng

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jul 20, 2003
Visit site
Status
Resident [Any Field]
The problem is that for IMG we had to do the CSA or CS. But there was a three month period in which there were no tests available which caused a huge backup, and because I'm an IMG you had to have done the CS by the end of December to get your score in time to participate in the Match.
Feeling a bit down about the whole process today to be honest. This year will be interesting combining all the CS problems for IMG's with the ever more stringent visa requirements make me suspect that there will be a lot more places in the Scramble this year than ever before, esp. for something like psychiatry which has such a large number of IMG's.

tangents

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Oct 31, 2004
Status
that stinks, sorry to hear that. best of luck to you--waiting sucks.

Miklos

15+ Year Member
Nov 26, 2003
Status
Resident [Any Field]
DrIng said:
The problem is that for IMG we had to do the CSA or CS. But there was a three month period in which there were no tests available which caused a huge backup, and because I'm an IMG you had to have done the CS by the end of December to get your score in time to participate in the Match.
Feeling a bit down about the whole process today to be honest. This year will be interesting combining all the CS problems for IMG's with the ever more stringent visa requirements make me suspect that there will be a lot more places in the Scramble this year than ever before, esp. for something like psychiatry which has such a large number of IMG's.
Sorry to hear about your CS misadventure. Hopefully, you'll be able to score a position in the scramble.

I'd be interested in hearing about programs that those participating in the match this year did not rank as well.

My reasons are slightly different than DrIng's, as I'm graduating off-cycle and will only be able to participate in the 2006 match. Also, if anyone out there knows of programs that offer spots outside the match and is willing to share them, I would be grateful.

Miklos

posternutbag

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Feb 5, 2005
Status
DrIng said:

One of the many problems with the new CS requirement has been the fact that now it is taking a much longer time for results to be in, which, for IMGs, has become a major problem. I know a numebr of IMGs who anticipated their results to come back in about 1 month; instead, it is often taking 3 months, and this, combined with the increasingly stringent visa regulations, has jeaopardized their participation in the match. In my opinion, this is bad for all of us and the field, because traditionally IMGs have contributed a great amount of knowledge, dedication, and enthusiasm to the field of Psychiatry. My question is this: how/when does an IMG find out about what programs are available for the scramble? Just curious.

worriedwell

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Feb 21, 2005
Status
1. Penn
2. Columbia
3. MGH/Mclean
4. NYU
5. Yale
6. Longwood
7. Mt. Sinai
8. Hopkins
9. University of Maryland

By the way, what percentage of people do you think get into one of their top three in psychiatry...it seems that most programs offer about 10 to 1 interviews to spots. So logically, you should be roughly guaranteed a spot if you get ten interviews (barring overwhelmingly poor interview performances). But beyond that, the same people tend to be competing for similar types of programs, so you'd think that as peoples preferences draw them in different directions, that it works itself out such that people probably land in one of their top 3-5 choices a very high proportion of the time.

I hope this post doesn't come across as offensive or entitled, because I realize I'd be blessed to train at any of the fine places that I had the fortune of being offered an interview. Just curious from people who had any opinions about how the numbers game plays out.

Also, does anyone have insider info on how deep programs go into their rank lists?

JerJer

10+ Year Member
Jan 24, 2005
Status
While I don't have an official source to quote, I often hear people throw out 75-90% as the number of psychiatry applicants who match within their top 3 choices. Sorry for the imprecise answer to your question, but I figured any information would be better than no information. Any other thoughts? Best of luck to everyone on the 17th. I'm sure everyone will end up somewhere that will make them happy.

soo

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jun 15, 2003
Visit site
Status
I have to stay in the DC area for family reasons, so I applied only to two programs. I ranked Georgetown #1 and George Washington #2. I thought I would get solid training in either one, but felt like GT was a better fit for me overall.

Big Lebowski

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Feb 25, 2003
Visit site
Status
worriedwell said:
By the way, what percentage of people do you think get into one of their top three in psychiatry...it seems that most programs offer about 10 to 1 interviews to spots. So logically, you should be roughly guaranteed a spot if you get ten interviews (barring overwhelmingly poor interview performances). But beyond that, the same people tend to be competing for similar types of programs, so you'd think that as peoples preferences draw them in different directions, that it works itself out such that people probably land in one of their top 3-5 choices a very high proportion of the time.
Of course it depends on how competitive you are and the quality of programs you are applying to. However, on average I would say most US grads get a program in their top 3. I went to a middle tier state medical school and had 13 people in my class go into psychiatry. Several people ranked highly competite programs. Most got their first choice, no one went lower than their second. The year before mine, their were 9 students and no one went below their second choice either. Programs that people matched into included Columbia and Harvard Longwood.

Endochild

10+ Year Member
Mar 9, 2005
Status
Here is my list...
1. Yale
2. MGH
3. Columbia
4. UVM
5. UVA

Is everyone as anxious as I am about this Thursday...rather next thursday :scared: ... I'm curious about other people's thoughts about Yale...I noticed some of you ranked it somewhere and others not at all. I'd just like to know what influenced your decisions.
Thanks...

Boofus4L

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Aug 15, 2004
Status
Endochild said:
Here is my list...
1. Yale
2. MGH
3. Columbia
4. UVM
5. UVA

Is everyone as anxious as I am about this Thursday...rather next thursday :scared: ... I'm curious about other people's thoughts about Yale...I noticed some of you ranked it somewhere and others not at all. I'd just like to know what influenced your decisions.
Thanks...
i really liked yale a lot. i thought the pd's were fantastic - down-to-earth, friendly, and committed to the residency program. i really liked how the program was structured to allow for ample elective time. their child program is stellar, and i thought the program provided a great balance between biology and psychodynamics.

my choice to rank yale #3 came down to geography and residents. i really disliked new haven. i had a particularly negative reaction to the city because the medical school i currently attend is in an ugly neighborhood, and i just couldn't see myself living in an area i don't like for another 4-6 years. having said that, there are lots of new haven aficionados out there! people love the city - it just isn't for me.

then there were the residents, who i didn't get an overly positive vibe from. the fact that only 3 residents showed up to the dessert party the night before the interview (including the resident throwing the party) concerned me. but again, this was a very personal experience. others have met residents that they really "clicked" with.

i am as anxious as you are about next week! but i wouldn't second-guess your number 1 choice at all. trust your instincts!

lu2003

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Mar 22, 2003
Visit site
Status
I have to agree with Boofus, the residents just didn't seem that over-enthusiastic for me. But, again, that's a very personal and individual impression of the place. Also, I am very limited geographically and therefore did not end up ranking yale due to that reason rather than anything else. Only 1 week left!!! :eek:

Endochild

10+ Year Member
Mar 9, 2005
Status
Thank you for your reply! I don't really doubt the program...I battle with the location. I have actually been living in New Haven and really find it difficult to contend with, but I loved the program and the people and felt it was the right fit for me. I was actually more curious to see if it was New Haven (which I affectionately refer to as 'DUMP Haven') or the program which influenced people's decisions...and it's good to know that you didn't find too many flaws with the program itself. As for the residents, I had a positive experience, and given that I am involved in the dept. I've come to know many of them. I certainly think that many of them are detached and involved in their own circumstance, but given that the dept. is so large I think (hope) that I will find enough people to relate to and develop a solid rapport with.

In any event, thanks again for your reply! 7 days...I hope you get your number 1 choice.... :D

jackiemanuel

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Nov 6, 2004
Status
For what it's worth, I was very impressed by the faculty and curriculum at Yale. I might very well have ranked it tops if not for three factors:

1. The residents seemed average.
2. My wife did not like her program (we're couples matching).
3. We wanted to live near family, and have none in the area.

I think New Haven is a fine place to live, and it broke my heart to not rank them more highly, so I wish all you future Elis happiness.

Best--

J.M.

Endochild

10+ Year Member
Mar 9, 2005
Status
jackiemanuel said:
For what it's worth, I was very impressed by the faculty and curriculum at Yale. I might very well have ranked it tops if not for three factors:

1. The residents seemed average.
2. My wife did not like her program (we're couples matching).
3. We wanted to live near family, and have none in the area.

I think New Haven is a fine place to live, and it broke my heart to not rank them more highly, so I wish all you future Elis happiness.

Best--

J.M.
HI JM--Curious, in what way did you find the residents average? I actually thought the Yale residents were more motivated than many other groups I met, but I didn't interview all over the place. In any event, I certainly wish you and your wife end up happy wherever you both are...and I hope that's your top choice! GOOD LUCK :luck:

tangents

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Oct 31, 2004
Status
Interesting. I have been at interviews that I really really liked, and the person next to me would say that they hated it and thought everyone was boring....To each his own, thankfully for all of our different top choices!

DrIng

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jul 20, 2003
Visit site
Status
Resident [Any Field]
I'm curious to know why several people haven't ranked Harvard South Shore?

Endochild

10+ Year Member
Mar 9, 2005
Status
DrIng said:

I didn't interview there b/c I had heard rather bad reviews of the program and the residents happiness...having said that, I recognize that word of mouth reports are based on individual preferences. My contact had transferred from there feeling that they had spent time in the depths of hell and that was enough reason for me to interview elsewhere. Hopefully, others can address your question based on interview expereince! Good luck!

brady

10+ Year Member
Mar 3, 2005
Status
My ROL is:

1. Columbia
2. NYU
3. Cornell
4. U-Washington
5. WPIC/UPittsburgh
6. Mt. Sinai
7. Yale
8. Baylor
9. GWU

I really would like to train in NY, which is how I chose my top 3 (obviously). To be honest, I didn't care much for Yale. I thought the residents were not as enthusiastic as residents at any of my top 6, and I wasn't so keen on the location. However, I think it is a great place to train for psych, and I really liked the PD (Belitsky). I'm sure people there are happy, but they didn't do such a hot job of displaying that to me. But, then again, I was also ultra picky when it came to my rank. Good luck everyone.

meisteckhart

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Feb 8, 2005
Status
DrIng said:
Several reasons:

1) Didn't have the opportunity to meet with any residents
2) Didn't like the program director
3) Child psych there is poor
4) They didn't even give me time to eat lunch on my own in the middle of my interviews. (let alone actually providing me with lunch)
5) ###WARNING THIS IS UNCONFIRMED RUMOR### I was told by one of the residents at MGH, who is a friend of mine, that the program was being sued by a former resident due to maltreatment during their residency

Please don't take the last reason as fact since I haven't confirmed it independently. I really think a program that hides their residents is not one I would want to be at. I would rather not match and have to scramble than be at this program. Thus, I did not rank it.