You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
Postbac can raise undergrad GPA?
Started by Hopegirl
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
Hopegirl said:How can it raise your undergrad GPA if you already rec'd your degree, and that 'chapter' has been closed so to speak?
Thank you!
-J
In a post-bac you're still taking undergraduate classes, which get averaged in with the rest. A post-bac isn't (usually) a graduate degree which doesn't get averaged in to your undergrad grades
Another thing you might want to think about is....possibly petitioning to stay a fifth year (like I am doing right now)... If I graduate this Spring (like I'm supposed to) I will have to pay $185.00/unit...and taking 12 units for 3 quarters would be insane!
Any undergrad courses you take will be added to your overall BCMP/OA GPA as long as they are not under a masters program (or any other graduate program).
🙂
Any undergrad courses you take will be added to your overall BCMP/OA GPA as long as they are not under a masters program (or any other graduate program).
🙂
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
OpenIntro said:I didn't know that....so even if you have graduated with an undergraduate degree, if you take classes at a post-bacc program (even if you take some of the same classes as before again) they get averaged into your GPA?
Yes, any classes you take after you get your BS/BA degree, as long as they are NOT under a masters program/PhD program...they will get averaged into your AMCAS undergraduate GPA (even community college courses, although it is NOT recommended to take community courses to improve your science GPA).
🙂
But the college is not going to average then in, right? It doesn't all of a sudden improve your GPA on your transcripts does it? I assume that just the med schools will recalculate your GPA, taking into consideration your post bac courses, which hopefully then raise your GPA for their purposes. Am I understanding the process correctly?
Many thanks!
-J
Many thanks!
-J
My interpretation is, yes you are right. Take me, for example. My undergrad GPA is 3.02, BA 1998. I had a rich full life and a variety of healthy experiences. (Go Gophers!) Now I'll be starting postbac, and hopefully the next 2 years will be chock-full of good grades.
So when I do my AMCAS application, I'll be hoping the maturity, medical experience, and communication skills will count as much as (or more than) what can mathematically only be a... lemme see... 3 point, uhh, something. 😉
So when I do my AMCAS application, I'll be hoping the maturity, medical experience, and communication skills will count as much as (or more than) what can mathematically only be a... lemme see... 3 point, uhh, something. 😉
Actually, when you designate your classes on the AMCAS application, there's a spot where you have to pick whether your classes were Undergraduate or PostBaccalaureate...so it looks like they don't figure into your undergrad GPA.
Good luck!
Good luck!
Yes, you are understanding the process correctly....🙂Hopegirl said:But the college is not going to average then in, right? It doesn't all of a sudden improve your GPA on your transcripts does it? I assume that just the med schools will recalculate your GPA, taking into consideration your post bac courses, which hopefully then raise your GPA for their purposes. Am I understanding the process correctly?
Many thanks!
-J
In the end, all undergrad courses that you take are all averaged..... So Post-Bac courses will not be in a different section as undergrad courses.kathy80 said:Actually, when you designate your classes on the AMCAS application, there's a spot where you have to pick whether your classes were Undergraduate or PostBaccalaureate...so it looks like they don't figure into your undergrad GPA.
Good luck!
kathy80 said:Actually, when you designate your classes on the AMCAS application, there's a spot where you have to pick whether your classes were Undergraduate or PostBaccalaureate...so it looks like they don't figure into your undergrad GPA.
Good luck!
I filled out AMCAS last June and yes, post bac is a seperate designation, however, it is averaged in with undergrad grades. Under the Post Bac section, there is a section that says 'total undergraduate GPA' which includes post bac. Then under that, there's a section for graduate grades.
Hopegirl said:Thanks everyone for the clarification!
Is there a good site to go to where I can calculate my GPA with all the A's I plan to get in postbac, to see what my new and improved GPA would be?
TIA!
-J
I don't know of any website, but I had to set mine up on an excel worksheet to calculate my undergrad, BCMP, advanced, and grad. That's probably your best bet. I don't think there's a website.
Similar threads
- Replies
- 8
- Views
- 1K
- Replies
- 1
- Views
- 681
- Replies
- 0
- Views
- 412