postbac or SMP or regular masters (please help!!)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Eureka1

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone!!!

This is my first post and I find this site very, very informative.

Just to tell you a little bit about myself. I went to a local state school majored in applied mathematics with a GPA of 2.75.:mad: I have taken all my premed classes except for the one year of biology (in my opinion, save the hardest for last). My goal is to get into medical school, but obviously my GPA is not even close to being competitive.
I want to give myself 3 to max 4 years to be a competitive applicant in medical school. Here are my options:
Option 1: Do a regular masters degree in applied mathematics with emphasis in biology (biostats, computational biology, systems biology, etc). This will give me some research opportunity.
Option 2: Do a SMP with a research thesis (if possible)

NOTE:
I have not taken the MCAT yet (no biology background=bad MCAT score).
During either option, I will be volunteering at local hospital for years.

Will I even be accepted into SMP?
Does a regular masters even mean anything to the medical committee? (even if a publish)
Which option will give me a better chance of getting into med school?

As a doctor, I wish to continue doing research in biomath and see patients. Should I just pursue a phd first and then apply to med school later? I prefer not taking the phd/MD route because I'll be old by then.:p
I know it's a lot of questions, but any help will be greatly appreciated!!!

Members don't see this ad.