postbac premedical vs. second degree

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

torrance195

New Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi everyone,

First of all, this question is based on how fast I can get done with things in the most efficient way possible.

It was little late when I learned about postbac premedical option and I have already applied and have been admitted to an undergradudate program as a second degree student.

My goal here is to get all the pre-reqs done to apply to medical school, not necessarily to get another degree in Biology. Is this a good way to prepare for med school and MCAT and all that? I just graduated and received my first degree less than 2 months ago and have never taken college-level science courses other than my Gen Ed requirements. I wouldn't mind staying in school for another 2 years if I can get in to med school.

Any advice will be appreciated. To summarize my long question, is it feasible for me to finish all the pre-reqs, prepare and take the MCAT, and apply and be admitted to a med school in 2 year time frame without being in a formal, structured postbac premedical program???
 
Hi everyone,

First of all, this question is based on how fast I can get done with things in the most efficient way possible.

It was little late when I learned about postbac premedical option and I have already applied and have been admitted to an undergradudate program as a second degree student.

My goal here is to get all the pre-reqs done to apply to medical school, not necessarily to get another degree in Biology. Is this a good way to prepare for med school and MCAT and all that? I just graduated and received my first degree less than 2 months ago and have never taken college-level science courses other than my Gen Ed requirements. I wouldn't mind staying in school for another 2 years if I can get in to med school.

Any advice will be appreciated. To summarize my long question, is it feasible for me to finish all the pre-reqs, prepare and take the MCAT, and apply and be admitted to a med school in 2 year time frame without being in a formal, structured postbac premedical program???

I personally had the same option a year ago... I went with the 2nd degree bachelors program and I get to tailor my own post-bacc classes and taking them at a part time status (that way I can keep my full time job)

You need to do the one that fits your life style the most, if you think the post-bacc fits you better, then by all means go a head and do it.

As far as GPA goes, they both will improve your undergrad GPA (if you do well that is),

The huge advantage for a 2nd degree bachelors is, you get to pick which ever class you want to take, nothing is pre-set for you, You just pick and go. For me right now, I am a 2nd degree bachelors students majoring in chemistry, but I am going to take the following classes:
General chemistries (both along with thier labs)
Organics (along with labs)
Biologies (along with labs)
biochemistry
molec-bio
and a few more higher level courses.

All this will be done in the next 1.5 years to come
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi everyone,

First of all, this question is based on how fast I can get done with things in the most efficient way possible.

It was little late when I learned about postbac premedical option and I have already applied and have been admitted to an undergradudate program as a second degree student.

My goal here is to get all the pre-reqs done to apply to medical school, not necessarily to get another degree in Biology. Is this a good way to prepare for med school and MCAT and all that? I just graduated and received my first degree less than 2 months ago and have never taken college-level science courses other than my Gen Ed requirements. I wouldn't mind staying in school for another 2 years if I can get in to med school.

Any advice will be appreciated. To summarize my long question, is it feasible for me to finish all the pre-reqs, prepare and take the MCAT, and apply and be admitted to a med school in 2 year time frame without being in a formal, structured postbac premedical program???

I sure hope so... I'm trying to do it in under a year but then again I already have Chem 101, My English stuff, and all my math requirements with some high level physics and mathematics courses tossed in there.

Basically I'm trying to do my second Bio, My year of physics, Org chem I and II, Chem IV, and I'll probably toss in either anatomy and Phys or Bio chem or Micro just for good measure.. but I hope to be able to do it all by Spring 2008 .. Take my mcats in the spring and be eligible for admission I guess it would be Fall 2009... AM i planning this all correctly folks? I think so.. but who knows..
 
If you have a good enough GPA (>3.3 or at least >3.0) and you can get into one of the post-bacc programs it may be a better option for the following reasons:
- programs are specifically designed to get you to (generally not INto, but at least to) med school
- programs may have linkages (e.g., if you get above a certain GPA in the program you are automatically guaranteed an interview at their school)
- classes are comprised of people similar to you in age, interests, goals, priorities.

If you do not have the stats to get into a post-bacc pre-med program, then the 2nd degree option seems better than taking a la carte pre-med classes (the science pre-reqs which you are missing, from what I gather), since as a degree student you qualify for financial aid and you have priority when registering for classes.

I hope this makes sense... good :luck: to you...
 
Sounds like a lot to try to cram in...be careful that you don't overload yourself to the point that you do badly in those classes. Good luck! I'm doing a second degree - applying in june of 2008 (finishing my degree in spring of 2009). Obviously hoping to matriculate somewhere in the fall of 2009 too..
 
Oops my reply was more for budhakon....OP - two years is very reasonable. It's what I'm doing, and it is working out very nicely. I have plenty of room in my schedule for my new Micro major requirements.