Postbac retaking classes need lab?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

celltech

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I am currently planning on re taking my gen. chem and gen. bio classes at a postbac program, since those grades were not so hot. However, I was wondering if I need to take the lab portion too? I did not fail the courses I am re taking, but I did receive C's on a lot of them.

Just for clarification, my gen chem and bio classes combined lecture and lab.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I noticed a lot of schools req. the lab, so might as well. Check with the schools you're interested in to see if they are required and then make your decision. I don't feel like it would hurt.

Hi everyone,

I am currently planning on re taking my gen. chem and gen. bio classes at a postbac program, since those grades were not so hot. However, I was wondering if I need to take the lab portion too? I did not fail the courses I am re taking, but I did receive C's on a lot of them.

Thanks!

You can try calling, but the pre-req is with lab. So if you aren't taking a class with a lab then you aren't taking the pre-req. And even if you did you wouldn't be replacing the lab grade of C.

Secondly with a good deal of Cs you can use the lab component to increase your pGPA. I'd just take the lab instead of looking for the shortcut

Members don't see this ad :)
When I initially took Chem/Bio, my lab classes were separate. I got C- in the initial classes but then did fine in the labs (As and Bs). I retook the classes but did not retake the labs. It's not clear from your posts what grades you got in the labs.

When I initially took Chem/Bio, my lab classes were separate. I got C- in the initial classes but then did fine in the labs (As and Bs). I retook the classes but did not retake the labs. It's not clear from your posts what grades you got in the labs.
My classes combined lab and lecture. So there was only one grade at the end for both components.

My classes combined lab and lecture. So there was only one grade at the end for both components.
If your classes combined lab and lecture, then you can't just take the lecture. You have to do both.

I personally would retake them both to get the extra couple of credits as a grade booster.