Postbac sGPA classes

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

blue5

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I need to take about seven postbac classes this Summer and Fall to get my sGPA where it needs to be for SMP applications. I've already taken all my premedical prerequisites in undergrad so I'll be taking elective BCPM classes to boost my sGPA.

Unfortunately based on scheduling, four of the seven classes I'm taking are lower division, and the remaining three are upper division. Given that my primary focus is on raising sGPA to apply for an SMP, is this a bad ratio of lower:upper division classes or does it not matter as long as I'm able to increase my GPA?

The reason I ask is because I know SMP/med schools look at the rigor of your classes so will it impact my application in any way by demonstrating a lack of difficult classes? I also fear that taking more upper division classes will prevent me from getting the grades I need to increase my sGPA which is the whole purpose of me taking these classes in the first place. I haven't taken any science classes in about four years (I was not a science major) so taking a full time schedule of upper division classes worries me until I get back into proper study habits. In addition, because of scheduling I'd have to add some classes next Spring which I wanted to reserve for ECs.

Any advice would be appreciated. Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I went back and forth mulling over this exact dilemma. I was completely dedicated to the idea of all that matters is the gpa increase. But that's not true. The class set up you have now will only get you so far as past the screenings. But if they came across another applicant who had all the same stats but they took upper division courses, you will lose everytime. That's not to say you won't ever get in but, it look like cutting corners and you might not get a chance to explain your schedule conflict. Bite the bullet. For fall semester my schedule totally works with my work schedule. But I will have to drastically change my work situation if I can't work it out for spring ex. Working nights. [Booo] Also, I understand the fear of needing to make the grade so taking lower levels seems smart, but it isnt. If you can't pull an A off with a part time school load then you won't make it in medical school taking a full load at light speed pacing. When I thought about that, I changed my attitude about sneaking in a few more lower levels.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

I think you're gonna have to slow roll this one. If you have to take classes in spring, so be it. Also, if you weren't a science major and it's been a while, I would definitely slow roll the post bac. You're less likely to screw up, or if stuff happens out of your control (family issues, SO issues, money issues, health issues etc) you can bend instead of break when under high amounts of stress.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey Chimichica,

Thanks so much for your feedback. The more I think about it you're spot on as far getting used to the rigor of classes if I'm going to make it through med school.

If you don't mind me asking, how many hours are you working versus hours of class time? I've never worked while taking classes before, but if I lighten the load on classes I'll probably take on volunteering or scribing as well since I need to bolster up my ECs.

Thanks again!

Hey blue5 how has it gone so far? I'm done with my DIY post bac! And I'm pretty happy with how things went.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk