postbacc advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

vixen

I like members
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm asking you guys although I'm a predent, the predental forum is far more dead...

I'm doing a one year postbacc now...currently I'm taking biochem, microbio and organic (retake). Next semester I plan on taking Biochem 2, Organic 2, and should I take another class (there are only hard bio classes left) or should I just take biochem2, orgo2 AND work part time? I'm worried because I MUST do well in these classes...this semester I'm managing to do pretty well (knock on wood), but I don't know if I should take 3 hard science classes...I was thinking about taking 3 and then dropping the one bio class if the workload is too much? Or should I just suck it up and take the 3 and work my ass off to show the adcoms I can handle it? Any opinions? Thanks :)

Members don't see this ad.

Personally, I would just take the biochem and the organic, kick butt (as you said you need to do) on both and then do something REALLY WORTHWHILE with my extra time - like a community project or pick up an extra volunteer shift. The load would not be as academically stretched, and you'd be making yourself far more appealing, experienced and downright interesting. I mean, who would you rather be stuck in a corner with at a cocktail party - someone who had taken three hard science classes and spent all their free time in the library or lab, or someone who had taken two science classes and had spent time playing the piano for senior citizens or spent Saturday afternoons painting murals with inner city youths?

I, too, as a post-bacc, faced a similar dilemna - I didn't know if I should take organic, physics and retake a (long ago taken) biology class AND take an MCAT prep course (i.e. - 100% lab goober) OR take just the organic, and physics and spend time on my MCAT and volunteer duties. I figured I'd be happier if I was more diversified and more learned of a VARIETY of situations.

Just my humble advice. Hope it helps - good luck!

hey, thanks so much for the advice! I will be looking into things that are worthwhile to help me decide...I really appreciate the insight :)