Should I consider a DIY Postbacc/SMP?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Voskei

2+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
You're fine right now for DO.

Fir the MD route, yes, you're going to need reinvention to prove you can handle med school.

So, SMP or DIY postbac, and work on coping skills.

BUT, even with reinvention, you'll still need to have DO schools on your list.
Beggars can't be choosy.

Reactions: 1 user
You're fine right now for DO.

Fir the MD route, yes, you're going to need reinvention to prove you can handle med school.

So, SMP or DIY postbac, and work on coping skills.

BUT, even with reinvention, you'll still need to have DO schools on your list.
Beggars can't be choosy.
Would an SMP give me substantially better chances at MD than DO? Do you recommend two years if I follow with DIY postbacc, and would hesitation throw off my chance at medical school? I'm assuming you recommend a 3.7.

Members don't see this ad :)
What to consider
1) Cost
2) Linkage
3) Support

Where's your community service? You need to do this (at least 150 hours) before going to an SMP.

Your chances will be better with strong performance in an SMP with a direct linkage to a desired school. But what happens if you got into a DO school before July? As an Ohio resident, you have a very strong shot, especially for DO seats. Do you really want to be a doctor, or are you trying to meet a deadline to get into medical school?

Would an SMP give me substantially better chances at MD than DO? Do you recommend two years if I follow with DIY postbacc, and would hesitation throw off my chance at medical school? I'm assuming you recommend a 3.7.
Well there are plenty of MD schools that reward reinvention, you will still need do schools on your list, as Beggars can't be choosy.

A DIY post back over 2 years will be okay

• Care
Do you want to bet $50,000 that you can outperform most medical students? Do you realize this is a one-shot deal? If you do poorly, you have proven you can't hack med school and will not have another chance at reinvention? Proceed carefully.

Most MDs don't go into competitive specialties. While DO might seem like a situation where you've cut off some possibilities that are open to MDs, you should also consider the possibility that those competitive specialties might not even be open to you as an MD student, depending on your med school performance. Don't forego the opportunity to be a physician because you might not be able to be a neurosurgeon-dermatologist unless that is your only reason for wanting to go into medicine in which case you should rethink your life goals.

What to consider
1) Cost
2) Linkage
3) Support

Where's your community service? You need to do this (at least 150 hours) before going to an SMP.

Your chances will be better with strong performance in an SMP with a direct linkage to a desired school. But what happens if you got into a DO school before July? As an Ohio resident, you have a very strong shot, especially for DO seats. Do you really want to be a doctor, or are you trying to meet a deadline to get into medical school?
No community service right now but I want to do some before trying an SMP/MS. For me, I feel like its MD or bust. I would be really upset if I realized while in medical school that I want to specialize in a field which is much harder for DO patients to get into.

Do you want to bet $50,000 that you can outperform most medical students? Do you realize this is a one-shot deal? If you do poorly, you have proven you can't hack med school and will not have another chance at reinvention? Proceed carefully.

Most MDs don't go into competitive specialties. While DO might seem like a situation where you've cut off some possibilities that are open to MDs, you should also consider the possibility that those competitive specialties might not even be open to you as an MD student, depending on your med school performance. Don't forego the opportunity to be a physician because you might not be able to be a neurosurgeon-dermatologist unless that is your only reason for wanting to go into medicine in which case you should rethink your life goals.
Well, that’s why I say DIY postbacc ~or~ SMP. I don’t know if I want to cough up all that cash, and maybe an SMP is too extreme for my circumstances. However, if I do end up engaging an SMP, I’d do it only if I thought it gave me a good shot at all medical schools - and yes, I would put every ounce of my effort *and* discipline into it; like you say, I’m screwed if it doesn’t go well. As for the specialties part, I have no clue where I want to go. But what if I end up liking a specialty like ophthalmology? Derm? ER? Pathology? And then I find out that most competitive residencies heavily favor MDs? I would hate to know that my best efforts in DO schools were for naught because of a simple MD bias, and then I’d have to settle for something which doesn’t interest me.

Well, that’s why I say DIY postbacc ~or~ SMP. I don’t know if I want to cough up all that cash, and maybe an SMP is too extreme for my circumstances. However, if I do end up engaging an SMP, I’d do it only if I thought it gave me a good shot at all medical schools - and yes, I would put every ounce of my effort *and* discipline into it; like you say, I’m screwed if it doesn’t go well. As for the specialties part, I have no clue where I want to go. But what if I end up liking a specialty like ophthalmology? Derm? ER? Pathology? And then I find out that most competitive residencies heavily favor MDs? I would hate to know that my best efforts in DO schools were for naught because of a simple MD bias, and then I’d have to settle for something which doesn’t interest me.
Your current profile reads heavily into primary care and psychiatry/mental health. If this is really your interest, I'm not sure if these paths are closed to you if you wound up as a DO. What careers do you have in mind, and what experiences do you have that help us see this is your passion that supersedes the work you have already done regarding mental health advocacy?

Sure you can always be drawn to Ophthalmology, Dermatology, or Pathology (you didn't say who you shadowed in your 60 hours). I don't know about ER unless you've done some EMT or significant scribing/MA work in an ED. I acknowledge people change their minds when going through the clerkships, especially when they really work with the personalities who run the show. But your actions already tell me where your passions lie.

Your current profile reads heavily into primary care and psychiatry/mental health. If this is really your interest, I'm not sure if these paths are closed to you if you wound up as a DO. What careers do you have in mind, and what experiences do you have that help us see this is your passion that supersedes the work you have already done regarding mental health advocacy?
Pathology - based on shadowing a pathologist, pediatrics, based on shadowing a pediatrician. Possibly radiology, simply due to my more analytical nature. I have since lost all interest in mental health and psychiatry due to personal reasons. I won’t be saying all that on my app/interviews though. Overall though, I’m going with the mindset that you cannot really know your specialty until you’re in medical school.

Pathology - based on shadowing a pathologist, pediatrics, based on shadowing a pediatrician. Possibly radiology, simply due to my more analytical nature. I have since lost all interest in mental health and psychiatry due to personal reasons. I won’t be saying all that on my app/interviews though. Overall though, I’m going with the mindset that you cannot really know your specialty until you’re in medical school.
Okay. Then if you are taking a gap off before retaking classes or going for an SMP/DIY, immerse yourself in these other options. Pathology and radiology will change significantly in the next few years with AI innovations and are relatively low regarding doctor-patient contact.