PostBacc Eastbay

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

elementalfree1

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,
So, i got into CSU Eastbay postbacc program. My big dilemma is this: The program costs about 30 grand and this doesn't include housing or anything else. Is it worth it to take out this huge loan and raise my GPA in order to gain acceptance into med school or should i just go back to community college (graduated UC Davis with 3.1), take more classes while studying for the MCAT and then apply?

Please be brutally honest. All inputs appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

Ive heard both options and opinions. Let me preface this by saying that I am in no way an expert in the subject matter.

On one hand, I have heard of the advantages of the post bac program. Support through your advising, classes, the fact you take them at a university. I am not sure on the specifics on East Bays program, but some offer MCAT prep, mock interviews and such. So that knowledge and experience gained can be worth spending that extra money. In some cases you get priority registration as well.

On the other hand, if those classes that you take at a local community college are perceived by the commission to be less rigorous then a "university course" you may diminish your chances of gaining medical school admission. Of course this doesn't factor in MCAT scores, clinical experience etc.. Ive heard this from my anatomy professor at university, some schools explicitly state that community college classes won't be accepted etc..

BUT...

Ive heard of some gaining admission into med school with community college classes, but generally these classes were just to tie up loose ends on their requirements.

Reactions: 1 user
I just applied to this program. Just wondering how long it took for you to hear back? I submitted my application through CSUMentor and it said it'll take a few weeks to get my log in information, how many weeks did you have to wait?

Also, they didn't have me submit any LORs through CSUMentor, will they have me submit the LOR once I get my log in info?

Members don't see this ad :)
has ANYONE gotten in with lower than a 2.8 GPA? I ended my undergrad with a 2.78...I have one more 3 unit class to finish but even if I get an A i don't know how much it will help my GPA

has ANYONE gotten in with lower than a 2.8 GPA? I ended my undergrad with a 2.78...I have one more 3 unit class to finish but even if I get an A i don't know how much it will help my GPA

Please don't post this in every single CSUEB thread. One would be sufficient. To answer your question.....probably not. This is straight from the program's website.

Admission Requirements
To qualify for entry into the Pre-Professional Health Academic Program at Cal State East Bay, you must:

• Hold a baccalaureate degree with an overall minimum GPA of 2.8 (average of accepted GPA is 3.0).
  • Have completed Math 1130 (College Algebra) and Math 1300 (Trigonometry and Analytic Geometry) or equivalent before joining the program.
    If you have not completed these two math requirements, you are encouraged to take the courses through Open University before applying to the program

My advice to you is perhaps take a few classes at a community college to try to improve it a bit more and then apply. (that was the advice some people were given when they were rejected) Remember also that meeting the minimum doesn't mean you will gain an acceptance. Before I went to CSUEB, I applied to a program who's minimum was a 2.5 and I was well above that at about a 3.4.....I still didn't get into that program.