PostBacc For International Student

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Orochimaru

Reaction score
Hello, can someone please give me some advice:

I am an international student (I got my Bachelor's degree from a US undergrad institution). I did not do as well as I would have hoped during undergrad and as such my sGPA (2.8) and cGPA (3.2) suffered; my cGPA does show an upward trend. I have yet to take the DAT. I am thinking about doing a post-bacc, but I cannot find a program that accepts international students.

I really want to be a dentist! And, I know my GPA is a hindrance to that goal. Can someone please give me constructive advice as to how I can still accomplish my goals. I think a post-bacc would be the best route, but I am not certain.

Thank you in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
First, I need to know what your GPA is. Depending on how low it is, applying to dental school might not be a feasible option.

My first advice would be to study and do well on the DAT.

Then I would try to attend Master's program that has linkage to a dental school program (guaranteed interview, or spot after meeting requirements)

Unfortunately, even though you attended U.S institution for undergrad, you will still be considered as an international and the bar will be set much higher for you.

Because of that, I feel like doing a Masters would be a lot more beneficial than doing post-bacc because Masters program gives a "clean slate" from whatever happened in your undergrad if you manage to do well.