Postbacc In NC?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

starseeker

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is anyone familiar with any possbac opportunities in NC particulary at UNC or Duke?

Members don't see this ad.

I know UNC Greensboro has a post-bac program. I live in NC and I was actually seriously considering just staying here and doing it, so I researched this. I don't think UNC or Duke have a formal or structured one. You could probably go to one of those schools and just take the pre med classes you need. The guy at UNCG told me about 55% of their post-bac grads got into med schools after the program.

The facts that I know about UNC and NCSU:

I am a PhD student at NCSU. I know that there is a program called "Lifelong Learning" and they allow anyone to register for the pre-med courses.

I also know at UNC there is the same thing under the titel "Continuing Education"

Hence, you can either go to NCSU or UNC, guaranteed and take the courses you need. I do not know the way the courses are taught at UNC, but I took undergrad genetics in my grad program and it was very well taught at NCSU.

i've been taking several post-bacc classes at UNC over the past year and have been quite happy with the flexibility and opportunities that the program has given me. unc has a loooooooooooootttttt of pre-med students though, so the classes are big and competitive.

for continuing ed/part time studies, they only let you take a max of 9 hours though, per semester. that's basically two classes and one lab. if you want to take more in a given semester, you have to write a letter of appeal. i did that once, and it was accepted.
i've taken a smattering of stuff everything from physics and chemistry to pathology classes.

Go Heels!
Duck Fuke!!