Postbacc Program NYC - Columbia/Hunter/CCNY/NYU?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rcd331293@yahoo

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi could someone share their advise or experience with postbacc medical program of: 1)Columbia 2)CUNY-Hunter (not listed in AAMC) 3)CUNY-City College 4) NYU

I compare curriculums of all four schools, and they are more or less the same. Columbia and NYU are really expensive while CCNY and Hunter are much cheaper! Hunter is not listed in AAMC, so I was not sure whether they have a reputable program.

I have been out of college for a while, so I need a school that offers solid science classes in a structured and supportive program.

Could someone share their experience or advise?

Thanks! :) :confused: :confused:

Members don't see this ad.

Hey there. :) You're right, Hunter and CCNY are cheaper than either Columbia or NYU. To my knowledge, Hunter is indeed a reputable program, and I think it's less strict than the others. I could be wrong, and if I am I'll probably be corrected. :p

If you're looking for "solid science classes in a structured and supportive program", I would suggest Columbia or NYU. There's nothing wrong with the others, but I know Columbia is supportive and very structured, and their science classes are challenging; they also have a Committee letter written for you when you're ready to move on to med school. I was looking for the same things you were, and have found Columbia to be the closest match for me.

The Ivy League programs are admittedly expensive and not for everyone, but they make sure you get every ounce out of the program you can; if you're looking for the things you mentioned above that would be my recommendation. If you think you can handle things on your own and need a little less support, you may want to check out Hunter or CCNY. In the end, it all depends on exactly how much "structure" you think you need. Good luck in your decision. :luck:

NYCmed said:
Hey there. :) You're right, Hunter and CCNY are cheaper than either Columbia or NYU. To my knowledge, Hunter is indeed a reputable program, and I think it's less strict than the others. I could be wrong, and if I am I'll probably be corrected. :p

If you're looking for "solid science classes in a structured and supportive program", I would suggest Columbia or NYU. There's nothing wrong with the others, but I know Columbia is supportive and very structured, and their science classes are challenging; they also have a Committee letter written for you when you're ready to move on to med school. I was looking for the same things you were, and have found Columbia to be the closest match for me.

The Ivy League programs are admittedly expensive and not for everyone, but they make sure you get every ounce out of the program you can; if you're looking for the things you mentioned above that would be my recommendation. If you think you can handle things on your own and need a little less support, you may want to check out Hunter or CCNY. In the end, it all depends on exactly how much "structure" you think you need. Good luck in your decision. :luck:

Thanks so much for sharing! What do you think about NYU and CCNY then? I have not heard any of their students talking about their program?

If I go to Columbia, is it realistic to think that I can do the coursework part-time at the beginning while working full-time? I need student loans and I was told that this program does not qualify for federal loans. Do you know what loans people usually borrow from in the postbacc program? ;)

Members don't see this ad :)
From personal experience, CCNY is NOT a good program...The professors are mediocre at best, the chemistry department is a mess, they cannot even get prof's to teach intro inorganic courses...the premed advisor is no help what so ever, she LOST my letters of rec. This used to be quite a reputable program but not in the past 5 years or so. Safer with Hunter, its much cheaper than NYU or Columbia, and to be quite honest, I know this will piss a few people off, it doesnt matter where you do your post-bacc. Best of luck! :thumbup:

I've heard good and bad things about NYU, and not very much about CCNY. I think CCNY is the most informal of the programs, but again, I could be wrong.

It is indeed realistic to take classes part-time at Columbia while working full time for the first year--or however long it takes for you to finish the Chem, Physics and Math pre-reqs. For your final year, or the "Orgo/Bio year" (as they call it) you're required to lessen your committments elsewhere. Organic Chem and Bio are stuck together because, according to the Deans, the adcoms at med school want to see that you can handle the work of a full course load.

Hope this helps. :)

If you work while taking classes at Columbia, do the program in 3 years rather than 2, that way you don't have to take physics and chem together.

Speaking of, Physics is brutal here. . .it's just the most dehumanizing depressing experience, one that I wouldn't wish on my worst enemy. Actually, if I had to choose between retaking first semester of physics and poking my eyes out with a pencil, it would be a tough choice...but I'd have to go with the pencil. That's how miserable it is. Actually, if I knew how hard my physics final was going to be, I might have went somewhere else. (And please, spare me all the "just wait till second semester" comments, smartass) Although I will say that it depends on who the professor is. Don't take Prof. Sadist's Gen Physics. Huge mistake.
(bitter)
-Crake

I'm at Hunter, and the post-bacc program is quite large, and /extremely/ supportive. If you want, I can get you added to the mailing list so you can ask questions to the group. All the people there already did the same research you're doing and I know some people there feel very strongly about Hunter's program (especially vs. Columbia's. We have a handful of people that switched from one to the other).

Personally, I'm glad I chose Hunter, rather than shelling out the dough for NYU or Columbia. Although registering can sometimes be a bureaucratic nightmare, I am very pleased with the quality of the instruction (and that goes double for the Biology department). There are some extremely talented instructors at Hunter.

My understanding is that the acceptance rate out of Hunter (of those that complete the program) is very high, though I don't have the actual numbers.

My recommendation would be to meet with the pre-med advisors of each program and ask to speak with current post-baccs.

One thing you may want to consider is the linkage programs. Hunter has linkages with Cornell and Stonybrook, I believe NYU and Columbia have more. I'm not interested in them (I am determined to leave NYC), so I'm not sure.

You may also want to look at which classes are offered with your scheduling requirements - for example, Hunter is great for evening students, while Columbia seems to make a point of snubbing them.

I've seen posts from folks who believe that being part of a smaller program is important when it comes time for recommendation letters - so that might be a plus for CCNY (which I belive is smaller, I don't actually know much about that program). However, all the formal programs have committees which will you write you a letter, and this seems to be the preferred style of application.

I just discovered the Hunter, Hunter, HUNTER! Thread in this forum. Check that out for more info.

Good luck with whatever you choose!
Erica

Hey Erica,

I am starting Hunter in Jan 05. How can I find out more about the mailing list that you were referring to? Also, I am taking Physics and Chem together in one semester..is this absolute torture? Any suggestions on preparing? I havent taken any science classes since High School which was about 6 years ago. Thanks for your help!

rcd331293@yahoo said:
If I go to Columbia, is it realistic to think that I can do the coursework part-time at the beginning while working full-time? I need student loans ...
I've taken courses at Columbia & Hunter. They are both excellent institutions. Hunter really does seem to have many first rate instructors. Personally, I think it is crazy to work full time to go to Columbia when there is a comparable program so close & so much more affordable. Better to put that time into one's study. And some of that cash into an MCAT review course &, maybe, even a tutor or two.

Hi there, re CCNY, if you are African American, you have a very good chance in going to top medical school. Somehow the advisor has some connection. But you need to do some bench research (at least two semester, but it is very easy to hook up with a lab, so they can scut you, keep your GPA 3.8 and have at least 30 on your MCAT (evenly distributed). I was not from there, but two of my close friends did. One went to UCSF, the other went to NYU and both will graduate this year. Others went to UC and AE, and a bunch to SUNY stony brook and downstate. Hope this helps.

Re MCAT, please practice a lot. Practice makes perfect. Currently, I'm a 4th yr at SUNY Stony Brook medical school. I came to this country 8 yrs ago and did not speak any English. I practiced a lot and got a 7 on the verbal (with 13 Bio and 12 phy). If I can do it, anyone can do it.

I am on Long Island and I go to Hofstra. It isnt a formal post bacc program but I absolutely love it there. I am in class with all undergrads that are around 18 years old ( I am 27). But, the professors are really good and I do not have a single complaint about one of them. It is expensive due to the fact that its a private school, but they do have a 93% admittance rate into med school, although it is based on their undergrad stats, is still pretty good. I just finished my first sequence of pre reqs at Hofstra and took Bio, chem, and physics there together with labs, it was tough but doable. The chemistry dept is awesome there, bio and physics profs are really good. They have plenty of tutoring and great facilities for students. This past semester, the biology dept has restructured their program and it was compared to taking biology at Columbia U.

While I had to beg, borrow and steal to get into Hofstra due to loan situations and hardships, it was well worth it. I am going to take bio II, chem II, and physics II next semester all together with labs.

Since, I live on Long Island, this was the most convenient for me, considering the fact that I was at school so much that people thought I lived on campus. I would not have been able to do this having to commute all the way to Hunter. Its also all about where you are located geographically. And what is good for you. Good luck. I have heard good things about Hunter, and not so good things about Columbia .;

I've heard many people so far who say they don't like or have heard bad things about Columbia. I just figured I'd mention that, other than the price tag, I've liked everything about the institution so far, and I'm fairly picky about things like this.

Not to say others aren't entitled to their opinions, but I thought people should know there are people who truly enjoy the Columbia experience too. ;)

I've posted several times on how much more cost efficient Hunter is than Columbia. But from my LIMITED experience Columbia has a great program. First of all the place is beautiful. It's like this classic New England campus transported to the Upper West side of Manhatttan. The neighborhood is much more cool than seedy.
I'm reading a classic work of neural science by Eric Kandel; Columbia prof & noble prize winner. Again in my limited experience for a prestigous research institution they seem interested in undergrad education.
For me its just that Hunter has an excellent teaching faculty & there is plenty of time to get into heavy debt.

Members don't see this ad :)
I love Columbia. I have a long family history with this university from everything to CU undergrad, film, law and medical school and I spent a semester at CU before going to USC. CU is wonderful and if you can make it at CU then you will most likely have an excellent chance of getting into a great med school. If you are unsure about your abilities Hunter or a less expensive school may be better b/c yes CU is expensive, and who wants to gamble with the kind of money it costs to go to CU. But if you have the cash and the ability, I'd say go to CU. There is no other more inspiring place to learn in my opinion...well except USC :)

NYCmed said:
I've heard many people so far who say they don't like or have heard bad things about Columbia. I just figured I'd mention that, other than the price tag, I've liked everything about the institution so far, and I'm fairly picky about things like this.

Not to say others aren't entitled to their opinions, but I thought people should know there are people who truly enjoy the Columbia experience too. ;)
Hello, I'm interested in applying to the CU post-bacc program. How difficult is it to get in the program and what do they look for in applicants? Also, is it true that the post-bacc students are super competitive? I actually attended CU for undergrad and had a wonderful experience... but not sure if the environment is the same in the post bacc program. Any help/advice is appreciated... thnx!

I don't think it's very difficult getting into the CU program, the reputation is more that it's harder to stay in the program...a lot of people drop out, and there's a GPA average you're supposed to maintain (I don't remember the number, but it's reasonable)...I think a lot of the people who drop out do so because they decide the whole med school thing isn't for them, as opposed to not liking Columbia.

Postbaccs do well in general in the classes...especially since if you do day classes you're with freshmen who don't quite realize the importance of studying/going to lecture/showing up to exams.... ;-) Personally, I've had a great time and it hasn't been that stressful (and I'm taking the full load). :) If you went to Columbia undergrad, it should basically be more of the same in terms of classes, and there definitely is a sense of community among the postbaccs (which was what made me pick CU over other programs where you're just on your own).

jcl157 said:
Hello, I'm interested in applying to the CU post-bacc program. How difficult is it to get in the program and what do they look for in applicants? Also, is it true that the post-bacc students are super competitive? I actually attended CU for undergrad and had a wonderful experience... but not sure if the environment is the same in the post bacc program. Any help/advice is appreciated... thnx!

rcd331293@yahoo said:
Hi could someone share their advise or experience with postbacc medical program of: 1)Columbia 2)CUNY-Hunter (not listed in AAMC) 3)CUNY-City College 4) NYU

I compare curriculums of all four schools, and they are more or less the same. Columbia and NYU are really expensive while CCNY and Hunter are much cheaper! Hunter is not listed in AAMC, so I was not sure whether they have a reputable program.

I have been out of college for a while, so I need a school that offers solid science classes in a structured and supportive program.

Could someone share their experience or advise?

Thanks! :) :confused: :confused:

Columbia is not that great of a program specifically because the professors are nothing special and the average post bacc falls into the "anal tool" category. Plus the post bacc office conveniently leaves out crucial details along the way like they rank you as a "superior", "excellent" "satisfactory" "poor" candidate for medical school solely based on GPA (even though they fudge the truth and try to make it all about the individual) and they drop a series of deadlines on you for getting recommendations from professors, etc. about oh two months before the materials are due. the advisors are definitely cool people, but certainly not perfect. Also, if you are not the typical type A personality, you will find yourself very frustrated by the people.

there are some definite highlights along the way, the Bio Lab is awesome and taught by Professor Hazen, the most wondeful, caring professor I have ever had at Columbia. Seriously this woman is a sweetheart! G. Chem lab is also awesome, a lot of fun but also a lot of work but the experiments are interesting. I'm taking Orgo lab this upcoming semester and from what I hear, it is THE best out of all the labs since the TA's are laid back fun people.

there are also signigicant bumps along the way, mostly in your orgo bio year. first year post bacc is really easy especially if you are a physics/math person and love g.chem. so i didn't really have to work much and walked out with a nice 3.5 GPA. now when you get to your second year, that's when columbia truly starts to suck. first of all, a lot of people were screwed gradewise this semester due possible cheating, supposedly one person stole every bio exam this semester and if that was the case and our professor did nothing about it, naturally all the means were skewed to the right and are untrustworthy since a network of people cheating will naturally drive up the means. in orgo, our means were super high and some people cheated on our final and our professor scaled like 86/100 to a B-, screwed a whole bunch of people since we were told by the TA's that the mean was scaled to a B+/A-. also, biology is perhaps the worst class you will ever take in your life, it's problem based and you have no choice of professors. it turns out that after the two exams, you will find yourself trapped in the same grade range and for some people, no matter what you do, you can't break out of that specific range. also you can't talk about grades with the professor because she puts your name on a list and will give you a lower grade (it's actually on her website!). she also like to rip people a new one in front of a lecture of 50 people, how sweet! of course, proving cheating is next to impossible, but when you do hear rumors of cheating, it is just hard to come to grips with because when you work hard and act ethically, yet get screwed gradewise, it's a tough thing to accept because it can be a huge blow to your self esteem.

and since so many people have left the program, now we are down to like 120-150 second years and it's starting to get to the point that tools/trolls are more cutthroat than last year and that kind of atmosphere if you are a dedicated student, but laid back person that can be suffocating. undergrads at columbia hate postbaccs because they say postbaccs will sell their souls to be doctors and sadly in the case of some people, it's absolutely true.

anyway definitely do your research because if you value happiness, columbia might not be the best place for you. and even though they say they have an excellent attrition rate into medical school, they have never released their numbers, nor have they released any numbers about how many people actually finish the program successfully.

you can always PM if you want more info; I just don't believe in lying to people about programs because it's a lot of money and two years of your life :)

Aladdin Sane said:
Columbia is not that great of a program specifically because the professors are nothing special and the average post bacc falls into the "anal tool" category.
Well, I'm average, and I certainly don't consider myself in that category. ;) To my knowledge, no one else has put me in it either.
Plus the post bacc office conveniently leaves out crucial details along the way like they rank you as a "superior", "excellent" "satisfactory" "poor" candidate for medical school solely based on GPA (even though they fudge the truth and try to make it all about the individual)
I haven't witnessed this yet; could you tell me how you found out? If it's true, I'd like to question my advisor on it and see what happens.

and they drop a series of deadlines on you for getting recommendations from professors, etc. about oh two months before the materials are due.
Not from what I've seen. The deadlines they've "dropped" on us has given me at least 6-8 months to prepare the given materials.
the advisors are definitely cool people, but certainly not perfect.
Agreed, but you'll find this anywhere.
Also, if you are not the typical type A personality, you will find yourself very frustrated by the people.
I tend to be more a type "B" person, and haven't been frustrated by anyone except a grad student so far.

there are some definite highlights along the way, the Bio Lab is awesome and taught by Professor Hazen, the most wondeful, caring professor I have ever had at Columbia. Seriously this woman is a sweetheart! G. Chem lab is also awesome, a lot of fun but also a lot of work but the experiments are interesting. I'm taking Orgo lab this upcoming semester and from what I hear, it is THE best out of all the labs since the TA's are laid back fun people.
I've heard good things about many of the lab instructors. I'm actually looking forward to meeting a few, and that doesn't happen with me often. :laugh:

there are also signigicant bumps along the way, mostly in your orgo bio year. first year post bacc is really easy especially if you are a physics/math person and love g.chem. so i didn't really have to work much and walked out with a nice 3.5 GPA.
Debatable, but mostly a moot point since the majority of folks in the program have no science background.
now when you get to your second year, that's when columbia truly starts to suck. first of all, a lot of people were screwed gradewise this semester due possible cheating, supposedly one person stole every bio exam this semester and if that was the case and our professor did nothing about it, naturally all the means were skewed to the right and are untrustworthy since a network of people cheating will naturally drive up the means.
That was unfortunate, but certainly not the norm in classes at Columbia. I've seen cheating dealt with by a swift hand, if not by the professor, then by the board when it was brought to their attention.
in orgo, our means were super high and some people cheated on our final and our professor scaled like 86/100 to a B-, screwed a whole bunch of people since we were told by the TA's that the mean was scaled to a B+/A-.
Sounds like you had a bad batch of classes. I wasn't there, so I don't doubt how bad you said it was. I can only reiterate that such a thing isn't normal on campus.
also, biology is perhaps the worst class you will ever take in your life, it's problem based and you have no choice of professors.
Many medical schools have switched to PBL anyway, and you usually won't get a choice of professors there either. I consider it preparation for the "real" schooling facing us in a few years.
it turns out that after the two exams, you will find yourself trapped in the same grade range and for some people, no matter what you do, you can't break out of that specific range.
That also happens in many classes. Some classes you can pull your tail out of the fire with the final, and others you can't. I may not agree with it, but I've seen it enough times (and not just at Columbia.)
also you can't talk about grades with the professor because she puts your name on a list and will give you a lower grade (it's actually on her website!).
I must admit, this interested me. Can you post a link to it? I'm a believer in speaking out when faced with something like blatant arbitrary grading.
she also like to rip people a new one in front of a lecture of 50 people, how sweet!
Can't comment on it, so I again take your word.
of course, proving cheating is next to impossible, but when you do hear rumors of cheating, it is just hard to come to grips with because when you work hard and act ethically, yet get screwed gradewise, it's a tough thing to accept because it can be a huge blow to your self esteem.
As above, it seems like you just got the short end of the stick with cheating. All universities, particularly Ivy League, will go to the ends of the earth to make sure their reputation is spared when someone is found to be cheating. One of my professors last semester actually mentioned how her summer class had their grades delayed quite a long time because one student was caught cheating, and everyone's answers were scrutinized for a smiliar pattern.

and since so many people have left the program, now we are down to like 120-150 second years
There aren't that many people in the program to start with, and many end up leaving for their own reasons anyway. There's no questionnaire they fill out when they leave stating why they're going.

and it's starting to get to the point that tools/trolls are more cutthroat than last year and that kind of atmosphere if you are a dedicated student, but laid back person that can be suffocating.
Nearly all the Postbacs I know, first and second year, are as laid back as I am and just nervous about upcoming classes/interviews/whatever. I haven't seen anyone's throat being cut yet, though there are always "a few" out there.

undergrads at columbia hate postbaccs because they say postbaccs will sell their souls to be doctors
This I've seen, yes. Then again, students say that anywhere there's a curve in the class, Columbia or elewhere.

and sadly in the case of some people, it's absolutely true.
This can be said of Postbac students at any program.

anyway definitely do your research because if you value happiness, columbia might not be the best place for you.
I value happiness and have no trouble there. I do agree, however, that the place isn't for everyone, so absolutely do your homework, folks. Just remember that happiness can indeed be found within Columbia for those who want to go.

and even though they say they have an excellent attrition rate into medical school, they have never released their numbers, nor have they released any numbers about how many people actually finish the program successfully.
I wasn't aware it was a requirement for all schools. Ivy Leage programs are known to be pretty strict, so the dropout rate really reflects those who realized they preferred another atmosphere rather than those who were "drummed out" of the program or couldn't finish.

you can always PM if you want more info; I just don't believe in lying to people about programs because it's a lot of money and two years of your life :)
It's a lot of money, and sometimes more than two years, but for those who enjoy a structured program with helpful advisors, I wouldn't believe all the trashing on this message board about it. All I can say is, while I tend to defend the program on SDN (which oddly enough is the only pre-med forum I know of that bashes it), the truth is it needs no defense. Don't take the quoted poster or myself as the absolute word, go check it out for yourself. Only you know what the best program for you will be. If it turns out to be Columbia, maybe I'll see you there. :cool:

to those considering columbia:

if u want accurate information abt the program, please pay close attention to the posts of 2nd yrs and those who have completed the program. those who are new to the program have a really limited perspective, take what they say with a grain of salt. there are definite plusses and minuses. in general, i would say that if you take out the prestige factor (and i really don't know how important this is), the minuses outweigh the plusses. it's very expensive, there's very little personal attention, its pretty much sink or swim. imo, columbia is best for people who already feel fairly comfortable with science/math, and want a more challenging/rigorous pre-med curriculum. that said, there are lots of people like this, so lots of people happy with the program.

the vast majority of people have major gripes with the admin. those concerns are legit. you can get things done, but u have to play the game.

If you'd like any info on Columbia, please PM me. I've completed the program, am currently applying to medical school (fairly successfully thus far!) and would be happy to give anyone the low-down.

I've also been off campus for a year, so I'm able to see the bigger picture a bit more now - and can give a pretty honest, unbiased opinion. A lot of the complaints listed previously are valid; but some factors are in your control.

In the interim, here are some FACTS about CU Postbacc:

1. It's expensive

2. Your advisors DO rank you in one of four categories in their compositve LOR - and this was quite a surprise to find out (during one of my med school interviews..."oh ajt2003, you were ranked as _____. Do you agree?")

3. You must be motivated and do a lot of self studying; the profs aren't going to hand feed the material to you.

4. The undergrads dislike postbaccs.

5. The bio professor, Professor Mowshowitz, is an awful, awful woman who gets off on crushing premed students' dreams. But she preps you well for the MCAT.

6. You must maintain a 3.0 to remain in the program.

7. You will not be babysat by the advisors. You are an adult and it is expected that you will maturely handle any and all problems.

That's all I can think of for now!

PM me for any additional info...

I agree 100% with bugs and especially ajt2003, who I happen to know personally, he knows a lot and is definitely one of the best sources for information about columbia. hate to say it but bugs is right, first years at columbia have a limited perspective because I'd love to see how many of them would react getting their butts handed to them in biology with the antichrist. Second year is perhaps the most depressing 9 months you will ever spend in school because for so many it's a constant struggle but these people are working hard but getting screwed due skewed curves and what not.

regarding deadlines, the advisors told us in late November that we had to have 6 essays written and all our recommendations in by January 20th. It would have been nice if we had that meeting in the summer so we would have plenty of opporunity to contact professors from other schools and to brainstorm essay topics. Sure it may not be the worst thing in the world to have to write 18 pages worth of essays over christmas break but just reflects the disorganization of the program on some levels. It's a lot better than last year when i started but they still leave out little details about the ranking and how their mock interviews can sometimes be confrontational regarding GPA's.

Cheating has never been swiftly addressed at Columbia, I've seen people cheat in G.Chem and the TA's just told offenders to move their seats. People cheat off one another during recitation exams, people cheated on our G.Chem final last year and these people were never kicked out of the lecture as they were back for remaining exams. It happens and it's not addressed, actually more people should probably complain to the ombudsman to get the situation fixed as a lot of people have this "ivy league" mentality that they are owed something and don't have to work for it. If you don't believe me, talk to some of the undergrads and you will find that most will rub you the wrong way.

if you are interested in what Dr. M has to say about grades, all you have to do is visit her website and look under "grading." if you ask for a regrade, your name goes on a list and when she reviews the grades, she generally looks unfavorably on people who asked for a regrade. and problem based learning is about the biggest bunch of crap ever, i like the old school "old fashioned" to learning approach for an intro bio course, which should be a lot easier than the way it is presented at columbia. i don't learn through the PBL approach because to me it just seems like an easy way for college professors to get out of doing their jobs. when i was in college we had a choice between 5 bio sections one catered to every possible way you could learn bio, why can't columbia adapt so i could have a choice of biology classes, especially when I can choose between 3 orgo profs and 4 gchem profs.

and many people will walk away from columbia with different experiences, but i have been here for almost two years and i've seen a lot of unsavory behavior on the part of post baccs. some are really awesome and some just plain suck and as I said, cut throat behavior is not so much of a problem in the first year because the first year is basically easy and everyone pretty much does fine with the few exceptions of people who found physics hard or weeded themselves out due to one bad grade.

second year is a different game with a different set of rules because no matter how much people tell you they love everyone else at the end of the day, that's a bunch of crap since we are all now pitted against one another for the top grade and people feel they have to compete for top spots in med school. the only class where we can say the grading was done fairly, was bio lab because Professor Hazen is a fair person, unlike say Prof. Katz who in the end and this is what was told to me in an email by him, that he pitted us against one another for the top grade when he initally told us that if everyone did well, he would scale the class so everyone would do just fine.

i'm only here to show that everything at columbia is not wonderful, a lot of people are blinded by the name "columbia" but don't realize that the school is actually poorly run administration wise and that the quality of education is nothing spectacular, you could get just as great if not better education elsewhere. none of my professors have been brilliant or blown me away, not like my science professors in college. unfortunately, i didn't want to leave NYC and was myself blinded by school when i first visited because everyone painted it rosy rather than being honest that some aspects of the school are downright terrible.

Absolutely 100% agreed. If you have not experienced 2nd year at columbia post bacc you have NO IDEA and actually no right to be commenting on the program as a whole. 2nd yr will make or break your application. I walked out of 1st year with a 3.7 after doing average amounts of work to be completely assaulted by 2nd year. Biology is incredibly difficult and frustrating and honestly there is truly very little you can do because the class is not a reflection on biology or how much you study, it is a reflection on how you THINK and if you do not THINK like this professor anything that you do will be irrelevant. I barely got a B+ in that class and I studied more for it than my entire college experience combined. I seriously studied 8AM- 12 midnight, 7 days a week for at least 3/4 of the semester. 2nd year has been one of the lowest most miserable points in my life and I think it will take a very long time until a regain any sort of confidence or happiness.
2nd year is a DIFFERENT GAME. well said. Please people DO YOUR RESEARCH and know the facts before making a decision.

I am a current Columbia Postbacc 2nd year, and this is my take on it. In the second year, not only are they teaching you the material, but they are teaching you how to THINK. The reason why many do poorly on the Bio exams [and I say poorly as B to B+] is because they are given information and they just learn it enough to spit it back out - but the exams are not like that at all. Mowshowitz makes her exams so you have to take the information you were given during lectures and apply it to new situations you have never seen before. If you just memorize the information and the facts, you will not do well - you have to UNDERSTAND them. It doesn't matter if you 'think like the professor' or not - with a few exceptions, the right answer is the right answer.

Also, be advised that people do NOT steal the actual Bio exams [also an uninformed opinion]. The Columbia frat houses have all of the previous exams from different years - and Mowshowitz was the one who told me that. As such, she makes each exam as different as possible. She even gives you the exams from the previous year, and they really don't help at all. They are just a way for you to gauge how well you know the material.

It seems slightly obvious that the people who are complaining are the people who did not do well. I am a 2nd year Postbacc who is doing well, and I go out of my way to help others who need help; I don't really see myself and conceited, cutthroat or angry. Sure Columbia's Postbac program has it's faults - but nothing's perfect. The Columbia Postbac program is just a means to an end, getting into med. school. It's just a tool and how you choose to implement it is up to you.

Last edited:
I'd rather some my dough and go Hunter! :laugh:

@jjf2139 if you could redo it all would you still choose Columbia? And also is receiving A's possible in the program? thank you :) looking at NYU and Columbia right now