Postbacc vs Masters

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JoyantBuoyant

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I've been doing a lot of research on this subject but I still can't find the right answer. I have a 3.5 gpa, and took the mcat but voided it. I could take it again and get a 28-29 (low due to my verbal 7-8s..)
I want to apply to a postbacc or masters program for 1 year. What I'm trying to get out of those programs is to get into med school without a doubt right away and not wait an extra year or 2. So which would be better to get into, a postbacc program or a masters?

Thank you for your time

Members don't see this ad.

There are "Special Masters Programs" which are (generally) more rigorous and structured than informal postbacs. But it's not really that strict of a divide between whether a postbac or a Master's is better - it depends on your specific situation. It seems like you're looking for programs with solid linkage to their own or other medical schools, and those can fall in either category. How likely it is and how quickly they will get you into medical school doesn't really depend on whether they're a postbac or Masters program. It's more dependent on the reputation of the program, their curriculum, and their linkage. You'll have to dig a little through these forums for the details of these programs though - the solid programs are pretty widely known and discussed. The stickies are a good starting point.

If you haven't already, give EK 101 passages a try. Practice makes perfect with verbal.

Last edited:
If the masters program offers guaranteed interviews and a high % of their masters students being accepted into professional schools, go for masters. If not, some post-bacs offer guranteed interviews at their med schools and/or high % of those students being accepted into the local med school.