postbaccalaureate programs vs. concurrent enrollment

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

chiba_san

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have a Ph.D. in psychology and am seriously considering applying to medical school. I will need to complete the necessary prerequisites and am wondering if it makes a difference if I just take classes through concurrent enrollment without being in a formal program or working towards a degree, or if medical schools prefer applicants that have completed a formal postbaccalaureate program.

Members don't see this ad.

The research I have done, through this site, indicates that we have more of an advantage from the post-bacc. Mainly, due to a formal letter of recommendation (most programs) and linkage to medical schools (some programs). With a Ph.D, I would strongly look into a linkage program (possibly saving the LAG year). Just food for thought. Best of luck either way.

OP,
I would take only the necessary prereq's (the med school you want to got to) requires first, before post-bacc, because there were a couple of people in my post-bacc that did'nt get in because they were trying to finish thier pre's and do post-bacc simultaneously. The info regarding a med schools particular prereq's can ususally be obtained from thier web site (you probabaly already knew this, sorry just thought I'd make sure.). I SHOULD SAY, MOST IMPORTANTLY, I'M NOT SURE WHY THEY DIDN'T GET IN (work ethic vs overload). I never wanted to ask them because I didn't really hang out with them a lot and it seemed inappropriate. I do know that at least one of them bounced back and ended up going to podiatry school. :)