postbaccs getting into top tier schools

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

pompompurin

Junior Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
hey

has anyone been accepted to or know someone who has been accepted to a top tier medical school even though they were postbaccs for academic-enhancement reasons (basically their undergrad gpas were not high enough)?

if so, what factors do you think got you accepted? did you need an extremely good reason as to why your grades were subpar? was it a long and difficult process?

just curious...
 
pompompurin said:
hey

has anyone been accepted to or know someone who has been accepted to a top tier medical school even though they were postbaccs for academic-enhancement reasons (basically their undergrad gpas were not high enough)?

if so, what factors do you think got you accepted? did you need an extremely good reason as to why your grades were subpar? was it a long and difficult process?

just curious...

I'd be really intersted in hearing someone's response to this too. I'm in the same boat (and been told so by med admissions folks at Michigan, Yale, Wisconsin, Northwestern): extracurriculars are great, letters of rec. are great, essay is great, intangibles are great (couple years off in a interesting job, publication/teaching record, good interview, etc.) but my science GPA from undergrad is a 2.8.
 
ethicskid said:
I'd be really intersted in hearing someone's response to this too. I'm in the same boat (and been told so by med admissions folks at Michigan, Yale, Wisconsin, Northwestern): extracurriculars are great, letters of rec. are great, essay is great, intangibles are great (couple years off in a interesting job, publication/teaching record, good interview, etc.) but my science GPA from undergrad is a 2.8.

Yeah it would be interesting to know but maybe I'm asking the wrong question since most people posting in this forum are still applying and there haven't been many replies. Therefore, I'll modify my question to this: for those postbacc low gpa-ers applying to medical school who would like to get into a top tier school (you have great ecs, letters, etc.) what are you doing to boost your credentials, and how would you explain your previous low undergrad premed grades?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
NRAI2001 said:
Maybe a masters would be better if you are aiming for a top school?

possibly...maybe the Georgetown special masters program or the NIH postbacc..I havent heard much info on those programs (esp NIH)