PostDoc and MCAT Preparation

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Chixieinthecity

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all,

I am currently in a postodoctoral position at a top tier university. To say the least, it's in a completely new field, but am doing well.

I am interested in taking the MCATs within the next year. Has anyone ever tried this? I Is there any advice out there?

Things to know about me:

1. I live alone.
2. Not dating. No plans to do so anytime soon.
3. In neuroscience
4. I don't usually work weekends (this is new since my postdoc) but will be willing to dedicate the time to studying.
5. lack a social life (postdoc)
6. On a given day, I'm in lab about 10 hours, but can dedicate 2-3 hours a day to studying.

(I only tell you these things, so that you know how my time is divided)

Thanks so much.

Members don't see this ad.

Set up a study plan (there's some good examples in the MCAT subforum) and buy some study material off of Amazon (assuming you're good at self studying since you've already survived a PhD). Your situation is not ideal for MCAT studying but it can (and has) been done.

All I can tell you is take the MCAT only when you are ready.

Hello all,

I am currently in a postodoctoral position at a top tier university. To say the least, it's in a completely new field, but am doing well.

I am interested in taking the MCATs within the next year. Has anyone ever tried this? I Is there any advice out there?

Things to know about me:

1. I live alone.
2. Not dating. No plans to do so anytime soon.
3. In neuroscience
4. I don't usually work weekends (this is new since my postdoc) but will be willing to dedicate the time to studying.
5. lack a social life (postdoc)
6. On a given day, I'm in lab about 10 hours, but can dedicate 2-3 hours a day to studying.

(I only tell you these things, so that you know how my time is divided)

Thanks so much.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks to you both! One more question, any review programs/books you recommend?

Thanks to you both! One more question, any review programs/books you recommend?

Kaplan MCAT, Princeton Review MCAT, Examkrackers are the typical choices. I'd also suggest Khan Academy (free videos) and using Anki for your studying.

Reactions: 1 user